Costs involved...

SimonandSian

Hi all.

We we are pretty new to the site as we still haven't fully committed to the idea of moving although we both really want to. Still weighing up the pros/cons of leaving family etc.

Is anyone able to give a rough breakdown of costs involved in making the move? Ie.

-visa application

-agent fees (if needed)

- medical fees

- police checks

- shipping costs

- any other costs that we are not even aware of!

I I know this will vary hugely from family to family but would be good to get a rough idea to help us with our decision.

Thanks

simon sian and babies

Ive just done the visa for my brother - inlaw and 2 kids and just the visa process was about 6000, 800 for there medicals. 45 each for him and his miss's police check, 500 for the skills assessment, he's just got it granted after 16 month process, now he has to start saving for moving his stuff, container shipping will be 5-7 depends who you go with, then theres the flights money..

I think the Smith Clan are about right. You will get varying answers - especially from people who are very "pro-Australia" and anxious not to put people off - but in my experience, those who say it cost less have either forgotten, or aren't thinking it through.

For instance, you can avoid shipping costs by selling/giving away all your stuff and replacing it when you arrive in Oz - but then you have to consider the cost of replacement. You can save by buying your replacement furniture from charity shops and cheap places. You can buy an old banger to get you started. BUT the point is, you'll end up with furniture you don't really like and a car that won't last so eventually you'll have to buy the proper stuff - so you'll spend the money in the end.

The bridge Manchester: adults £250, £11-14 yr olds £195 and 10 and under £90!! Very good compared to some.

Agents fees depend on how much help you want and what stage you are at etc....but in my opinion are worth every penny.

Our visa application is base charge 3600, then 1800 (dollars) per additional applicant, and about 900 for each child x

Our medicals at the Spire Manchester were £260.00 each but you get 10% off the second adult. £45.00 each for Police Certificates. From memory my skills assessment was $630.00. Visa application cost was about £2700.00 for 2 adults. That's it so far as our visa has not been granted yet!!! So I think the big costs are still to come. I've had quotes to ship our 2 dogs and with quarantine it looking like about £5000. Ive also looked at a move cube for our stuff and that's approx. £800. Of course there is then flights, money for rent / living while we look for jobs. Don't forget to factor in your validation trip if you don't intend to move straight away

Thank you all for the replies.

I really is is scary how it can all add up!

We we are hoping we can do it as cheap as possible obviously.

Visas for a family of 4 roughly £6k?

are medicals about £600 each?

The biggest costs can be things you don't think about, like temp accommodation while you find a place to live, and living expenses while you're looking for a job (which in the current job market could be months for some people). Also losses you didn't expect to make - for instance, we realised we really needed our car till the last minute, so we had to settle for selling it to a dealer instead of private sale. And you never get as much as you hope when selling furniture etc.

Archived