Sparky from London

Brit In Oz

Hi All,

I'm new in Sydney, having recently arrived on a working holiday visa.

I'm an Electrician looking for work. Can anywhere point me in the right direction where best to find work in the construction industry?

You can't work as an electrician because your UK licence isn't valid. Get your White Card and then you can work on building sites as a labourer.

You can't work as an electrician because your UK licence isn't valid. Get your White Card and then you can work on building sites as a labourer.

Its not valid yet Chinese electricians do not have to sit skills assessments and have upwards of 70,000 deaths in the construction industry per year. Something wrong there !

Its not valid yet Chinese electricians do not have to sit skills assessments and have upwards of 70,000 deaths in the construction industry per year. Something wrong there !

It is nothing to do with skills assessments. Those are for visas. Each state has requirements for licensing of certain trades. Any person who has not trained as an electrician in that particular state will need to under go licensing. That includes Chinese people

I've been told yesterday that I can definitely work as Trades Assistant (TA) ... which apparently has rates $ much better than a general labourer. Apparently the deal is that a TA works alongside a licenced sparky, but essentially they are doing the same work (especially if you are an Electrician anyway) ... however, the Aussie sparky needs to be present to review and signoff on all work.

Archived