Declaring herbs and spices. .

DeniDeni

I'm a keen cook and have an extensive range of herbs and spices collected over time. I know I must declare any herbs or spices in our shipping but I'm wondering if I am likely to be charged at all?

I know they will all be available in Australia (before everyone jumps on me!). But rather than having to go out and buy them all again in one go (along with everything else that we'll need to get) I just thought it might be easier to take with - unless it's going to cost me a fortune!!

If you are shipping them you'll be without them till the shipping arrives so would have bought some by then surely?

I think they have to be unopened not part used and in proper packs or jars. There would be a charge to destroy any not allowed in. Per item quite possibly. Tbh I'd not bother.

If you are shipping them you'll be without them till the shipping arrives so would have bought some by then surely?

I think they have to be unopened not part used and in proper packs or jars. There would be a charge to destroy any not allowed in. Per item quite possibly. Tbh I'd not bother.

Hmm, interesting I'd not thought of the open status of them! Thank you.

We'll be living with my sister in-law for at least half the time before our stuff arrives so not too much of an issue.

Ps things I wish I'd brought... Lots more clothes hangers... Glad I brought kitchen stuff tho ie mixer blender etc.. One of our best buys.. Amazon had a surge board thing basically it plugs into Oz wall socket and there are 4/5 UK plug sockets to use saves a million adaptors as an generally only use one at a time in the sockets x

Ps things I wish I'd brought... Lots more clothes hangers... Glad I brought kitchen stuff tho ie mixer blender etc.. One of our best buys.. Amazon had a surge board thing basically it plugs into Oz wall socket and there are 4/5 UK plug sockets to use saves a million adaptors as an generally only use one at a time in the sockets x

I have a UK power board cut off the plug and put on an Aussie one means you can use all your appliances until you change plugs etc

If you put the herbs and spices in your shipped container, you will have to declare them and then it's possible your container will have to be opened and unpacked so they can check them. That will mean a delay in getting delivery, and possibly extra cost, plus the risk of damage while everything is unpacked and packed again.

Another potential issue - your container isn't climate controlled, so there's a risk your herbs and spices will be spoiled anyway by extreme heat as the ship goes through hot climates.

If you really want to take them, I'd carry them in your luggage with you, and declare them when you arrive.

Archived