UK Tax Rebate

CRP82

Hi All.

My question may have been answered before, but I can't find it so hopefully someone can help.

6 months ago I decided I hated my job in England, so I quit and got an plane to Asia to do some travelling. I have now ended up in Australia as I was offered a contract with Queensland Health. I sorted out Permanent Residency a few years ago.

Anyway, my question is....

What can I claim back from the UK government in terms of a tax rebate or anything else?

I am being hassled by a company in the UK that say there is lots I can claim back and they are willing to do it for me. But I noticed in the small print that they will take a 25% cut! So I figured I would try to do it myself. Has anyone else had experience with this when moving to Australia.

I worked for 6 months of the current UK tax year. My annual salary was in the 40% bracket but I probably didn't reach that bracket in the 6 months work that I did. Does anyone know if I will automatically receive a tax rebate, or do I need to let the Inland Revenue know that I have left? Is there anything else an expat can claim back (I.E. National Insurance)?

Many thanks

Chris

PS: I am a 34 your old guy living in Brisbane if anyone fancies meeting up for some good old British banter.

Just looked myself. It clearly says on HMRC web site just as you go to fill in form. Not to use this form if you file SA returns ???

Yes, if you file a Self Assessment tax return you'll get whatever refund is due to you automatically when you file your next return. The P85 is for people who don't file a tax return and so wouldn't get their refund otherwise.

and as far as I can understand. As a director of an active UK limited company. I am going to have to still file SA returns even when I'm living in Australia ?

Regardless of your position, If you have an income in the UK then HM Tax Inspectorate will need to know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk