New Farm or Bulimba...(or any others)?

Shayman

Hi everyone

I am one of two young professionals (late 20's) moving to Brisbane on 4 year visas in June.

We are looking for a pleasant, convenient (for the CBD) and "happening" place to live in for at least our first year while we get settled and make new friends etc...

Google has suggested to us that New Farm and Bulimba are both good shouts. Does anyone have any experiences of the pros and cons of either?

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated!

Depends on your personal definition of 'happening' though of the two then New farm would put you nearer to a lot more without having to cross the river. Both are good for the rivercat ferry to the city and each other. As FTA says there is West End/South Brisbane areas along with a few others like Toowong/Auchenflower/Rosalie area.

Personally I love New Farm. It's the area myself and my partner want to live in when we eventually get back to Brisbane. Basically anywhere on either side of the river is lovely. It is convenient for the city hopper (free boat) or the ferry cat (Commuter ferry). We have lived in Kangaroo Point and Southbank also. Both lovely areas.

• 2 weeks later...
Bulimba is more family orientated. New Farm, Teneriffe and West End would be my choices.

Avoid Fortitude Valley.

Why? We live on Bowen Hills/Fortitude border and love it. We have no issues with noise, crime etc and live the convenience of the CBD a very short trip away. I'm guessing your suggesting giving parts of Fortitude and Spring Hill a miss unless you like clubs and bars on your door step.

Personally make sure you are happy with the accomodation first closely followed by your preferred area as Brisbane is quite compact, easy to get around and with the exception of the clubs is quite evenly spread. Bulimbia and West End are south of the river where as the remainder of your selections are North. An area currently very popular and has good facilities is Hamilton although high rise but does have normal restaurants plus Eat Street with bands etc twice weekly and Racecourse Road. If you are not buying a car then ensure you are near a train or bus stop.

S