Cairns, Toowoomba or South Brisbane

NorthernLights

I had a friend who lived in Daisy Hill near the koala park - a beautiful place and cheap rent. It's cheap because the commute into Brisbane is a hard slog - not an issue if you're working in Logan. Don't write off all of Logan - Logan Village is very pretty.

We also knew a number of people who lived in Cairns - they loved it - due to laid back lifestyle and climate (which wouldn't suit everyone). They moved to Brissie for work opportunities.

As much as I loved Toowoomba, I reckon it would be tricky with teens - far more to do in Brisbane.

Make it as easy as you can re: commuting - whatever people will tell you, roads get very busy in Brisbane - so be as close as possible to keep the distance down. You have a lot of great options so can't really go that wrong...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a friend who lived in Daisy Hill near the koala park - a beautiful place and cheap rent. It's cheap because the commute into Brisbane is a hard slog - not an issue if you're working in Logan. Don't write off all of Logan - Logan Village is very pretty.

We also knew a number of people who lived in Cairns - they loved it - due to laid back lifestyle and climate (which wouldn't suit everyone). They moved to Brissie for work opportunities.

As much as I loved Toowoomba, I reckon it would be tricky with teens - far more to do in Brisbane.

Make it as easy as you can re: commuting - whatever people will tell you, roads get very busy in Brisbane - so be as close as possible to keep the distance down. You have a lot of great options so can't really go that wrong...

Thanks for replying, you've confirmed much of the things we've thought. We may be lucky and have some choice, but I suspect fate will intervene. You're right though, I think all the options are very strong for differing reasons. Not a bad situation to find ourselves in! Long road ahead yet.

If the climate is a concern, I would avoid Cairns like the plague! I've been living in Brisbane for the last three years and we have really struggled with the humidity here, having spent a bit of time working in Cairns, I can tell you it is a gazillion times worse! Toowoomba is absolutely beautiful, really green and a much more reasonable climate, however it is a bit "out in the sticks" which you may find the kids aren't as keen on. That being said, you'll get used to driving a lot more out here wherever you end up and it's still within a reasonable distance to the coast!

• 2 weeks later...
If the climate is a concern, I would avoid Cairns like the plague! I've been living in Brisbane for the last three years and we have really struggled with the humidity here, having spent a bit of time working in Cairns, I can tell you it is a gazillion times worse! Toowoomba is absolutely beautiful, really green and a much more reasonable climate, however it is a bit "out in the sticks" which you may find the kids aren't as keen on. That being said, you'll get used to driving a lot more out here wherever you end up and it's still within a reasonable distance to the coast!

I think the key is to acclimatization is to get off the air-con. Yes, you will have a few tough days but body gets used to it. As Brit, you need to forget what you were used to. You will be amazed how your body learns to cope with consrant 24-25 degree weather after a few weeks. If you go to aircon to aircon- that is no good for your body and you will suffer and hate everywhere.

Its ts terifying but worth it in the end, leaving family and friends is the hardest but you get there in the end. We were excited then me and my youngest 16 at the the time were terrified felt physically sick on the way over but it's worked out great. Oz is just an amazing country I really wish we had the opportunity to have brought our boys up here. I just don't have the same concerns as I did in the UK. I just find cairns peaceful yes there is crime of course ...not come across it but it's truly paradise

We are debating the same issue. We have been to the Gold Coast a few times for a few weeks but never to Cairns. After planning the move from dusty Canberra for the last year or so, it looks like we'll have finally a chance to wrap things up here but we are debating the same issues, where to move in Queensland. The biggest worry is jobs. While I can move with the company and will get part time hours guaranteed, my hubby is not so lucky. We think there will be more opportunities settling between Brizzy or Gold coast or Brizzy and Sunshine coast, but after dozens of job applications, no signs from anywhere.

Hubby loves the tropics and natural beauty and is thinking of Cairns. We do not know anyone at any of these places and in Australia it seems that most people get jobs through mates, friends (at least that is the standard in Canberra). I am not to keen on Cairns but will move if there is hope for hubby finding a work within a month or two. And that is any job.

I think the key is to acclimatization is to get off the air-con. Yes, you will have a few tough days but body gets used to it. As Brit, you need to forget what you were used to. You will be amazed how your body learns to cope with consrant 24-25 degree weather after a few weeks. If you go to aircon to aircon- that is no good for your body and you will suffer and hate everywhere.

You are describing spring/autumn temps in Qld. Has been daily max of 30-35C for the past 4 months. Even so we have rarely used the aircon at home but is great to have as a back up on those sticky days with no breeze. Many of the worst offenders with the aircon are the locals. We freeze going into their houses; can't imagine what they are thinking about ours.

We actually find shopping centres and movie theatres too cold too and were amazed that locals were apparently comfortable in thongs, shorts and t-shirts until we learned how cold they keep their homes.

You are describing spring/autumn temps in Qld. Has been daily max of 30-35C for the past 4 months. Even so we have rarely used the aircon at home but is great to have as a back up on those sticky days with no breeze. Many of the worst offenders with the aircon are the locals. We freeze going into their houses; can't imagine what they are thinking about ours.

We actually find shopping centres and movie theatres too cold too and were amazed that locals were apparently comfortable in thongs, shorts and t-shirts until we learned how cold they keep their homes.

I only said 24 degree weather because that is usually scorching hot in the UK! Have been through a few 30-35 days even in Canberra and have some experience with hot humid weather living in New York City for a few years. Point is, your body gets used to that, but the only way to do it is to let it get used to the heat, not the A/C. After some 2 years now I find the weather "cold" below 20 degrees. My husband was joking that even 24-26 degrees is cold for me on certain days. That just shows, that how amazing is a human body adopting to different weather patterns. Take that from a born Brit relocated from Cambridgeshire! But truth to be told, I always liked the warmth of the sun and that is the main reason we are here.

Mozzies and flies though and insects in general, they love me. Have tried the B-complex but to no avail. I get bitten so many times even by using a repellent spray. Why is that, I really do not know. So is the Mozzy situation bad around gold/sunshine coast too or just further up north?

Lived on the the Sunshine Coast 13 years and am more than happy to have the aircon on whenever I need it, especially when cooking, ironing, but at least it isn't all hot/humid all year.

Also if you have a 2 story house, it's much hotter upstairs.

I have Australian born friends who find the heat/humidity draining, many of us are,really looking forward to Autumn if it ever comes.

Each to their own, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone that they will adjust,as having lived in a hot climate for 23 years I know some will some won't, some people find fans enough, others like tha back up of aircon.

I lived in Borneo for 10 years previously and never really adjusted to hot and humid weather, lived with constant aircon with no ill effects.

Luckily I'm not bothered by mozzies, so I don't think they are a problem, but other people are, so yes they can be a problem here, depends yet again on the individual.

I only said 24 degree weather because that is usually scorching hot in the UK! Have been through a few 30-35 days even in Canberra and have some experience with hot humid weather living in New York City for a few years. Point is, your body gets used to that, but the only way to do it is to let it get used to the heat, not the A/C. After some 2 years now I find the weather "cold" below 20 degrees. My husband was joking that even 24-26 degrees is cold for me on certain days. That just shows, that how amazing is a human body adopting to different weather patterns. Take that from a born Brit relocated from Cambridgeshire! But truth to be told, I always liked the warmth of the sun and that is the main reason we are here.

Mozzies and flies though and insects in general, they love me. Have tried the B-complex but to no avail. I get bitten so many times even by using a repellent spray. Why is that, I really do not know. So is the Mozzy situation bad around gold/sunshine coast too or just further up north?

the only way to avoid getting bitten is to acquire a friend who is tastier than you!! I got bitten a lot when we lived near water but hardly at all when we lived near dry forest and had a breezy house. I too found aircon too much in shopping centres and offices and had to take a cardi with me to the cinema! Our old queenslander got as hot as hell upstairs in the Brisbane summer so aircon required, but when we lived in more modern houses used the aircon far less...lots of variables but the choice of where you live in Brisbane makes a big difference to your everyday comfort.

Now in the UK and having pretty good weather but the sight of people in t shirts in 15 degrees still shock me. On Sunday we even saw people going for a paddle at the beach!

the only way to avoid getting bitten is to acquire a friend who is tastier than you!! I got bitten a lot when we lived near water but hardly at all when we lived near dry forest and had a breezy house. I too found aircon too much in shopping centres and offices and had to take a cardi with me to the cinema! Our old queenslander got as hot as hell upstairs in the Brisbane summer so aircon required, but when we lived in more modern houses used the aircon far less...lots of variables but the choice of where you live in Brisbane makes a big difference to your everyday comfort.

Now in the UK and having pretty good weather but the sight of people in t shirts in 15 degrees still shock me. On Sunday we even saw people going for a paddle at the beach!

Lol. Shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops come out early as 13 degrees! Makes me smile remembering when we first visited in April, us being in shorts and T-shirts, while people in Melbourne in long coats and scarves!

Talking of Brizzy: anything against Coomera/ Helensvale area?

Archived