Is the 189 my only option?

The Smith Clan

I am looking at applying for 189 visa, i am a qualified social worker and would be moving with husband and children. Are the working visas only up to 31 years, just wondering if cheaper option for visas?

All PR visas are expensive Im afraid....

I am looking at applying for 189 visa, i am a qualified social worker and would be moving with husband and children. Are the working visas only up to 31 years, just wondering if cheaper option for visas?

I think you mean a working holiday visa - that's just for young singles wanting to come on a holiday and do some work to pay the bills, so that's no use to you.

There are temporary visas (457) but I would not recommend them for a family. First you have to find a company to sponsor you. Then you only get the right to remain in Australia while you work for that employer, and if you leave that job, you'll have 90 days to leave the country. You'll also not be eligible for any kind of government support (including free education for your children in some states, you may have to pay fees even in a state school).

Yes the 189 costs money but (a) you are making a life-changing decision so you wouldn't do it if you weren't really, really committed - in which case it's worth it and (b) the cost of the visas is cheap compared to the other costs of migrating.

Edited by Marisawright

There was a thread a little while ago on total cost to migrate. There were differing views and much debate, but general consensus was around £30k - £50k total cost for a small family to migrate. Therefore, the visa cost is relatively small and the 189 gives you the most flexibility....making it money well spent in my view.

There was a thread a little while ago on total cost to migrate. There were differing views and much debate, but general consensus was around £30k - £50k total cost for a small family to migrate. Therefore, the visa cost is relatively small and the 189 gives you the most flexibility....making it money well spent in my view.

I'd go along with the 30-50k total cost. I've spent well over 30 to date and I'm still in the UK.

I'd go along with the 30-50k total cost. I've spent well over 30 to date and I'm still in the UK.

sounds like it 189 is best option then, yes it's looking very expensive!

is there any reason you have not moved yet CaptainC I see you have been granted your visa. It all quickly adds up!

sounds like it 189 is best option then, yes it's looking very expensive!

is there any reason you have not moved yet CaptainC I see you have been granted your visa. It all quickly adds up!

Soon. My wife is already over there. I have to see out a contract in the UK first.