Question re asking price

Mazza227

We went to look at a house that had an open today. As we haven't been here very long, not too sure on the rules etc, but they had a price range for the house. Does this mean that you have to offer the minimum they say or can you offer less? We basically asked the agent and she told us that no they would not accept under that price and to be honest I wouldn't even bother to write it up. Now I thought that any offer that was made even if silly offer,(not that we would make a silly offer!) they had to put to the owner, or am I wrong?

Any advise would be great please :wink:

Rules do vary from state to state,but if they've stated a range then the bottom figure quoted is definitely the very lowest they'll even consider.

Australian real estate agents play silly games, they promise the seller a ridiculous price to get the business, then persuade them to offer it at a lower figure "to tempt buyers in". The theory is that once you've got buyers interested, they can be persuaded to increase their price. It always amazes me that sellers fall for that tactic because it never works.

Chances are what the seller really wants is the price at the top of the range. If the property hasn't been on the market long, it's likely they'll hold out for that price. The longer the property is on the market, the more likely they are to accept a lower offer.