Wales2Oz

poghead

Hi all,

New to all of this and was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction. Looking to move to Brisbane in 4-5 years time with who will then be my wife, what's our best option?

Me - 25 - Degree in Business Management - 4 Yrs experience public sector (police staff)

Partner - 26 - Reg'd Nurse (Qualified Sep '15) - 6 months experience elderly care

No kids - fully own home - to be married in 12 months.

Options?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was us 5 years ago! (Engaged, child-less, home owners, 1 health professional, living in UK). Fast forward 5 years and we are married, have a daughter, and now live in QLD having emigrated in 2014.

We were advised to get a Working Migrant Visa (175). Although this was a more expensive / slower / beurocratic process than a 457, we were advised that, if planning to move as a family unit, it would give us far more flexibility and stability. I.e. our right to be in the country wasn't tied to a particular employer. We took the advice, and it worked for us. We now have PR status, are free to live anywhere in Australia, and able to do any job we wish. I'm not saying it was an easy process, it wasn't, and it was definitely the 'long game', but if it is your five year plan (as it was for us) you have time to do that.

This was all back in 2011 though, things may well have changed since then, so read up carefully. Health professionals are in high demand here. We put myself down (as a health professional) as the main applicant on our 175 Visa. You get points for Occupation (health scores highly), length of relevant work experience, highest level of qualification, English language ability (I sat an English exam to boost my points!), age (points drop after 30 so get application in before then), partner points too.

We had to validate the visa within 12 months of it being granted, i.e. pass through border control. We applied in Sept 2011, visa granted June 2012, we validated the visa with a holiday to Oz in Nov 2012, and finally moved out here 2014. So bear this in mind, look at current processing times as you'll need a trip to Oz within a year of that to validate.

Good luck!

Thank you for your replies. It's good to know there are a few options available as we are in no rush. We are looking forward to Honeymooning there next year before putting something in place looking for work. All the best,

Pog

Thank you for your replies. It's good to know there are a few options available as we are in no rush. We are looking forward to Honeymooning there next year before putting something in place looking for work. All the best,

Pog

Have you considered applying for a visa now (if possible), activating the visa when you visit next year, then giving you the option of moving permanently a few years down the line with a visa already in place ?

How much would that cost if we were to apply for a 457, also would my OH have to make contact with a possible employer for it to be granted?

Pog

It would only be possible with a PR visa (189,190) as an employer sponsored visa would expect you to move immediately.

How much would that cost if we were to apply for a 457, also would my OH have to make contact with a possible employer for it to be granted?

It wouldn't work with a 457 - it would work with a permanent residency visa. If you can get one of the PR visas then you should go for it, even if you're not sure that you'll stay forever - a 457 just gives you a temp job in Australia for a few years, it doesn't give you any right to stay.

I see, I have just searched the two quickly and 189 seems do-able. My OH wouldn't want to commit to any job until visiting the place and meeting the people, I on the other hand would happily move and pick up skilled labour with anyone. I will look some more into the 189 thank you Makybe.

Pog

I see, I have just searched the two quickly and 189 seems do-able. My OH wouldn't want to commit to any job until visiting the place and meeting the people

With the 189 visa there's no job involved at all, it's a case of moving to Australia and then seeking work after you arrive.

If you decide to go for the 457 visa instead, then your oh is right to want to check out the job thoroughly before accepting it. On a 457 you are tied to that employer: if you don't like the job and quit, you lose the visa and you have 90 days to leave Australia (unless you can find another sponsor before then).