189 visa, have I calculated my points correctly?!?!

Hi,

I am looking to lodge an EOI for a 189 visa in the next couple of weeks.

I have just obtained a positive skills assessment Cert' 3 for bricklaying.

I have just booked my IELTS test and hope to get top marks, proving I have superior English.

Also I am 27.

I've worked it out that I will get 30 points for my age, 20 points for superior English (providing I hit the mark) and 10 points for my Cert' 3 in bricklaying, giving me a tally of 60 points.

Can someone please confirm that I have worked this out correctly before I submit my EOI?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Ben.

I did not get the score I needed in IELTS twice, having lived in the UK since birth and I only managed 7 and 7.5, personally I would recommend the PTE-A if you do not get the score you need from IELTS.

PTE-A v IELTS:

The turn around for PTE-A is much quicker as you get the results next day unlike IELTS where you have to wait 2 weeks.

PTE-A is computer based where as IELTS is paper based old school exam style.

IELTS all 4 sections are clearly separate, you sit listening, then reading, then writing, then have to wait around all day before doing speaking unless you are lucky and get the post lunch slot, with PTE-A you may be answering both reading and speaking at the same time, so for me this meant that I could make up some writing marks outside of the essay style questions.

With PTE-A you can leave once you finish (I finished in half the time required), unlike IELTS where you will be there from 9am until 1pm, you then get an hour lunch break and have to come back for your speaking which could start any time between 2pm and 5pm.

Regardless of which exam you do though, make sure you practice! It is not guaranteed you will get high marks even if you are from England and have spoken English your whole life.