Chihuahua Perth to UK

VERYSTORMY

Hi guys.

We we will be transporting our little fella from Perth to the UK probably in April and could do with any advice.

We we are intending to do it ourselves to save cash (it is in short supply).

At at the moment, all we know is that he has to have his rabies injection a minimum of 22 days before, so are planning on that next week.

Can an anyone advise on what we need to do / paperwork / booking his flight / costs? Also, if anyone has a crate for sale suitable for a chihuahua let me know.

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest a lot of airlines won't deal with anyone other than an agent. Have you had a chat with Dogtainers just to get an idea on costs. Also ask them to break it down. Things are different now but when I imported to and from America, Germany and Malaysia from the UK it was possible to just pay for a pet transporter just to do the paperwork to keep costs down. It's the flights themselves that are the huge expense. Also you can hire crates from JetPets or Dogtainers so you don't have to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

For those in the same situation, these are the things to consider.

1. You must use a company to do it for you.

2. There are only two airlines to chose from. Emirates and Malasian. The price is about the same but with Emirates there is a compulsory stop of 5 hours for them in Dubai. However, during this, they are in their own run, are fed, checked by a vet and it is fully air conditioned. However, as I write, Malaysian have suspended pet flights.

4. On arrival in LHR - they have to go through the ARC at LHR - they have another 5 hour wait.

5. The rabies vaccine has to be given by an AQIS vet 22 days prior to flying.

6. If they are never going to return to Perth, the only other thing they need is a working tablet on the day of flying. We are using Petainers and they will meet us at the vets and administer it then.

7. It is generally better if you drop your loved one off a day before so that they can go ahead of you then catch up in Heathrow.

Update.

2. There are only two airlines to chose from. Emirates and Malasian. The price is about the same but with Emirates there is a compulsory stop of 5 hours for them in Dubai. However, during this, they are in their own run, are fed, checked by a vet and it is fully air conditioned. However, as I write, Malaysian have suspended pet flights.

4. On arrival in LHR - they have to go through the ARC at LHR - they have another 5 hour wait.

6. If they are never going to return to Perth, the only other thing they need is a working tablet on the day of flying. We are using Petainers and they will meet us at the vets and administer it then.

7. It is generally better if you drop your loved one off a day before so that they can go ahead of you then catch up in Heathrow.

Quantas fly dogs too we are shipping our Pei to Oz with them he has a 2 hour stopover in Dubai

Guest The Pom Queen
Quantas fly dogs too we are shipping our Pei to Oz with them he has a 2 hour stopover in Dubai

Verystormy is flying back to the UK so it may be different going back.

Guest The Pom Queen
Update.

Do you mean Dogtainers @VERYSTORMY

Hi guys.

We we will be transporting our little fella from Perth to the UK probably in April and could do with any advice.

We we are intending to do it ourselves to save cash (it is in short supply).

At at the moment, all we know is that he has to have his rabies injection a minimum of 22 days before, so are planning on that next week.

Can an anyone advise on what we need to do / paperwork / booking his flight / costs? Also, if anyone has a crate for sale suitable for a chihuahua let me know.

Hi Ya,

This may help or not as I've no idea where in Perth you are located. Many years ago I transported my cat from Perth to the UK and used a local Perth based company ...they are out at Wattle Grove ....southwest of Perth Airport within easy distance http://www.pawsclawsandbeaks.com.au/. I just looked them up again (yes I know sad but even though my cat is now all these years later no longer with me I still have all his papers including his original UK transport papers) and they are still going. They do both boarding and pet transport (their Pet Transport side is called Pet Express). I would be more than happy to reccommend them as a place that may be worth you calling I admit i have no idea of their current costings so I do not know if they might be viable etc ...what I can say is they did a fantastic job of moving my cat all the way through the process and he arrived safely and in excellent condition in the UK ...they are very caring and look after the animal's well being.

Hope that might help cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Hi Ya,

This may help or not as I've no idea where in Perth you are located. Many years ago I transported my cat from Perth to the UK and used a local Perth based company ...they are out at Wattle Grove ....southwest of Perth Airport within easy distance http://www.pawsclawsandbeaks.com.au/. I just looked them up again (yes I know sad but even though my cat is now all these years later no longer with me I still have all his papers including his original UK transport papers) and they are still going. They do both boarding and pet transport (their Pet Transport side is called Pet Express). I would be more than happy to reccommend them as a place that may be worth you calling I admit i have no idea of their current costings so I do not know if they might be viable etc ...what I can say is they did a fantastic job of moving my cat all the way through the process and he arrived safely and in excellent condition in the UK ...they are very caring and look after the animal's well being.

Hope that might help cheers Mary-Anne

thanks for that.

We have already appointed Dogtainers, but always good for people to know of options.