856 Visa renewl

chris1903

Hi everybody,

my name is Chris.

I am new to this forum and hope to get some advice

regarding the issues I have with my current 856 visa.

I lived and worked in Indonesia the last four years and

want to move back to Sydney for good.I have an 856 Visa

Which will expire in May (or at least I have to be back to Australia

by then).

1.Since I have not lived 2 years in Australia I cant automatically

renew my 856.

Is that correct or are there other options???

2.If that is correct the only option I have is to find a new company which would

Sponsor me in order to live and work permanently in Australia.

Is that correct???

thank you for your support!!!!

I think the 856 is a permanent visa, albeit with only 5 years of travel. So long as you move back to Australia whilst your travel portion is valid, you could stay as long as you wanted. If you wanted to travel overseas or were not able to move back to Australia during the validity of your travel period, you'd need a Resident Return Visa and the length of that will depend on how much time you have spent in Australia in the five years before you apply.

Thank you for your reply!!!

So my 856 does not expire if I move back before the 23 of May

is that correct?

When could I start travelling again without depending on a Resident Return Visa?

Thank you for your support!!

Really appreciate it.

When could I start travelling again without depending on a Resident Return Visa?

Never!

... or at least, not until you get citizenship. A PR visa of any type will only ever have 5 years of travel period, after which the PR visa holder would need an RRV to return to Australia if they ever went overseas.

Once the travel validity expires, you'd need to apply for a RRV or citizenship in order to be able to return. To get an RRV, there are some factors to consider - if you are living in Australia for at least 2 years you'd likely get a 5-year RRV, if less than 2 years then you'd more likely get only a 3-month or 1-year RRV (should be enough time for a holiday for most). As long as you're back in Australia by the time the RRV expires, you're good to go until you want to travel again. Rinse and repeat.

Thats great.

So I can just return to Australia before the 23 of May and stay.

Regarding the traveling overseas

I just spent so far 4 years overseas and might need to travel back and forth to Indonesia

due to my business.

That should be possible for at least another year without a

Resident Return Visa.

is that correct?

Many thanks for your help!!!

Your visa will say something like "must not arrive after 29 May 2016". That is the expiry of the travel portion. If you want to enter Australia after that date you would need a current and valid RRV. If your past travel means you only get a short duration RRV, then you will need to renew it often if you want to travel often.

Archived