Do you regret moving back?

edinburghgirlinoz

Well yes, has anyone said if doesn't get cold ? Not that I have seen.

So when it is snowing, or you have to scrape ice off the car you would have people believe that a. there is never ice on the car b. you're still in a t-shirt?

So when it is snowing, or you have to scrape ice off the car you would have people believe that a. there is never ice on the car b. you're still in a t-shirt?

Both those options would be silly, Im not sure why you didnt give a 3rd realistic option, I would be wearing the padded shirts I mentioned earlier.

Ok Chris, whatever makes you happy.

Well it's not so much what makes me happy, it's just the truth. If I was outside and had to scrape ice off the car I would be wearing a quilted shirt. In fairness though we have only had about a dozen frosts this winter as it was so mild and unfortunately no snow here at all.

Even though you felt the need to question it, seems odd to me but as you say whatever makes you happy.

You're the one that lives in a country that regularly comes to a standstill through inclement weather, but are loathe to accept that it gets cold enough to make a jacket essential. Ridiculous if you ask me (yes, I realise you didn't ask me - but you posted in open forum which invites scrutiny)..

You're the one that lives in a country that regularly comes to a standstill through inclement weather, but are loathe to accept that it gets cold enough to make a jacket essential. Ridiculous if you ask me (yes, I realise you didn't ask me - but you posted in open forum which invites scrutiny)..

See the first mistake you made was to assume the whole country comes to a standstill, regularly. The fact is certain areas very rarely come to a standstill. In the 4 years we have been here this area has never once come to a standstill, not even close in fact. I would imagine it would be even less frequent in the south of the country. The frozen north does get more than its fair share of inclement weather though. I have never once said it doesn't get cold enough to make a jacket essential, I did in fact say that I myself rarely wear one. I am sorry you find my cold tolerance ridiculous, my wife thinks the same as you lol

Wonders what the reaction would be if I came on and said there was no such thing as skin cancer in the Australia.

Yes it gets cold in blighty.. Yes people wear jackets..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33423[/ATTACH]

Do you mind if I ask where that map came from because it doesn't really fit the actual weather last Tuesday ?

What do you mean ? I was merely commenting that you live in awesome Australia, I'm sorry you don't agree. I remember when it snowed in Melbourne at Christmas, crazy weather.

Awesome Australia?? Oh come on...why not just Australia? No need in imo..as I said just commenting on how cold it is for the time of year.

See the first mistake you made was to assume the whole country comes to a standstill, regularly. The fact is certain areas very rarely come to a standstill. In the 4 years we have been here this area has never once come to a standstill, not even close in fact. I would imagine it would be even less frequent in the south of the country. The frozen north does get more than its fair share of inclement weather though. I have never once said it doesn't get cold enough to make a jacket essential, I did in fact say that I myself rarely wear one. I am sorry you find my cold tolerance ridiculous, my wife thinks the same as you lol

No no mistake. Once you've lived there a while longer than my 8 year old, I'm sure your perceptions will soften. Off to bed now, take care. lol.

Awesome Australia?? Oh come on...why not just Australia? No need in imo..as I said just commenting on how cold it is for the time of year.

Yeah Im not sure that map was actually last week but it clearly was a Tuesday at some time of the year. This shows the actual temperatures last week, not even zero let alone minus.

Screenshot_2016-04-30-15-46-42.jpg

Screenshot_2016-04-30-15-46-42.jpg

No no mistake. Once you've lived there a while longer than my 8 year old, I'm sure your perceptions will soften. Off to bed now, take care. lol.

Well yes you said the country regularly comes to a standstill, that really isn't the case. Some areas, up North, do stop due to heavy snowfalls.

It does get bone chillingly cold in the uk and we all know that and accept it, but we have heating etc to cope. In oz it doesn't get anywhere near as cold except in the houses because they have poor insulation & no heating. I hate that! It can be 14 degrees at night but feels like 6 degrees inside! A lot of my rellies have been saying how bad the weather has been lately in the uk, as usually by April we are starting to see the warmer days. It was snowing in Reading & Swindon the other day...pretty unusual for the end of April.

Edited by Sassy Duck

Well yes you said the country regularly comes to a standstill, that really isn't the case. Some areas, up North, do stop due to heavy snowfalls.

It's London that grinds to a standstill, not up here. Up here, they're ready for it and expect it and I've never been held up by it. The snow ploughs and gritters come out and everyone gets to where they need to be. Some of the Pennine routes do get blocked though and if there are high winds they have to close the roads for safety.

When I worked in London my boss would look at me as if I was mad if I suggested driving (or even leaving to go outside) in even a smattering of snow!

I really don't mind cold weather in winter - it's the UK, it gets cold, you get a coat and get on with it, but I do mind winter in April especially when we didn't get summer last year.

It does get bone chillingly cold in the uk and we all know that and accept it, but we have heating etc to cope. In oz it doesn't get anywhere near as cold except in the houses because they have poor insulation & no heating. I hate that! It can be 14 degrees at night but feels like 6 degrees inside! A lot of my rellies have been saying how bad the weather has been lately in the uk, as usually by April we are starting to see the warmer days. It was snowing in Reading & Swindon the other day...pretty unusual for the end of April.

That's quite possibly the fairest post I have seen you make. If you could ask my wife the coldest she has ever been in her life without hesitation she would say on a motorbike ride from Geelong to Ballarat years ago. I'm lucky that I don't really feel the cold that much and our kids have inherited that.

Afree about the houses, they are crap basically. Our 400 year old house is better insulated than any house we have lived in Australia. It's been a pretty ordinary April that's for sure, they are forecasting up near 20 the end of next week, just about my ideal temp.

It's London that grinds to a standstill, not up here. Up here, they're ready for it and expect it and I've never been held up by it. The snow ploughs and gritters come out and everyone gets to where they need to be. Some of the Pennine routes do get blocked though and if there are high winds they have to close the roads for safety.

When I worked in London my boss would look at me as if I was mad if I suggested driving (or even leaving to go outside) in even a smattering of snow!

I really don't mind cold weather in winter - it's the UK, it gets cold, you get a coat and get on with it, but I do mind winter in April especially when we didn't get summer last year.

It's because they so rarely get any snow in London, they would get even less than us and we get next to none.

That's quite possibly the fairest post I have seen you make. If you could ask my wife the coldest she has ever been in her life without hesitation she would say on a motorbike ride from Geelong to Ballarat years ago. I'm lucky that I don't really feel the cold that much and our kids have inherited that.

Afree about the houses, they are crap basically. Our 400 year old house is better insulated than any house we have lived in Australia. It's been a pretty ordinary April that's for sure, they are forecasting up near 20 the end of next week, just about my ideal temp.

Its not the fairest as I am under no illusion about oz, the same as I'm under no illusion about the uk. I just post on my experience on both countries, as I spend a fair bit of time in both. I have to say that I was quite shocked that we had to sit watching tele in oz with a beanie on haha & I'm always happy to see a radiator when I'm back in the uk! :laugh:

It's because they so rarely get any snow in London, they would get even less than us and we get next to none.

We've only had one day in the last two years (unless you count last Friday!) and that melted quickly. Oh, and there was one morning in March where it snowed heavily in Newcastle, which hadn't been forecast, and my husband and daughter had to turn around and come home - we'd had nothing here!

The four winters I spent in London it snowed every time. It was forecast, but no action was taken to prepare. Here, the gritters are out early and snow ploughs are keeping the roads open before it gets light. It's well organised.

Apparently, the worst winter was 2010 when it didn't clear for weeks, but then, it was pretty bad in Norfolk too that year. It seems to go in cycles. You get a run of mild wet winters, then some cold bright ones, which I much prefer.

I hope they're right about 20 degs soon though. That will be very nice and I'll get my sense of humour back :wink:

We've only had one day in the last two years (unless you count last Friday!) and that melted quickly. Oh, and there was one morning in March where it snowed heavily in Newcastle, which hadn't been forecast, and my husband and daughter had to turn around and come home - we'd had nothing here!

The four winters I spent in London it snowed every time. It was forecast, but no action was taken to prepare. Here, the gritters are out early and snow ploughs are keeping the roads open before it gets light. It's well organised.

Apparently, the worst winter was 2010 when it didn't clear for weeks, but then, it was pretty bad in Norfolk too that year. It seems to go in cycles. You get a run of mild wet winters, then some cold bright ones, which I much prefer.

I hope they're right about 20 degs soon though. That will be very nice and I'll get my sense of humour back :wink:

There you go, it is why I questioned the belief that the country regularly grinds to a halt, it's ridiculous of course. Yes I don't mind the short sharp winters at all. I'm sure you will soon get your sense of humour back.