Job Offer with 457 Sponsorship

blazingsunbeam

Hi,

After having a couple of phone interviews with a company in Sydney I have now received a job offer with 457 sponsorship. The package consists of base salary, super annuation, car allowance & tool allowance.

Is there anything I should look out for specifically on the job offer in relation to the visa sponsorship or any general items that differ massively between a UK and OZ job offer?

Thanks,

Daryl

If you have a family be aware that you won't have access to any benefits and in NSW your kids will be up for $5k pa school fees in a public school (if you're a single chap then that's of no interest of course!)

Take a career break from your current job because of the temporary nature of the visa and be aware that not everyone can of does progress from 457 to PR.

Probably also worth asking your prospective employer if they would consider sponsoring you for a permanent visa at some point.

Of course if you can pass the required skills assessment you could apply yourself whenever you like. Otherwise after 2 years in your role there is no need for a skills assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I understand it's only temporary and because of that won't be selling my house here in the UK.

The employer has said they'll sponsor me for PR further down the line but I know that's not a guarentee and ultimately depends on if I fit the kind of employee they are looking for and their business demands / finances.

The salary does work out when looking at living expenses so I'm ok there. I think the toughest part will be deciding where to rent and weighing up the pros and cons of each suburb.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well congratulations first off :)

Do you mind me asking how you found the role and what area it's in?

Best of luck!

Hi Harriet,

I applied for another role with the company on SEEK. The role had already been filled but there was another similar job coming up that they asked if I'd be interested in it.

It's based in Sydney but the company doesn't have an office there (they are based in Melbourne) so I will be working from home and going out to customer sites for meetings etc.

Blazingsunbeam congrats on your job offer and subsequent emigration! Hope all goes smoothly. If you have any probs I wouldn't worry too much, 90 days is ample time to find another job. Just enjoy the ride and make some good memories along the way [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Itchyfeet, sorry to jump on the back of this thread but you created a spreadsheet a few years back. My other half has been offered a position on a 457 visa and we have been asked to make a call quickly as they want us out there May. I don't know the timelines for getting the visa but it leaves us with a task of working out if we can afford it as I will be giving up my job so single wage to make the move. If you still have this to hand it should be really useful to us. Thanks in advance MC.

Hi MereCat,

Yes that's right - I've actually changed it quite a bit as it was rather rough around the edges! I'll try and post it on here when I get a sec. Was it the cost of living stuff you needed? Bear in mind x-rates have changed and certain prices may also have changed in the last couple years...

Do you have a house to sell? We out ours on the market a couple weeks back but still haven't sold and are getting impatient now!!

Archived