Immunisation question

Karen S

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same situation. We are moving to South Australia in May, my 3 and a half year old had single vaccinations for Measles and Rubella at 12 months old, but as there was no single vaccine for Mumps she is not immunised against that. I thought that on moving to Australia I would be able to fill out a form explaining why she is not immunised against Mumps under the conscientious objection rule, but it appears the rules changed in Jan 2016 and I don't think I'll be able to do this. It looks like without her being immunised for Mumps we will not get any childcare rebate we may be entitled to.

I was not opposed to MMR vaccine but my OH (who is a laid back Aussie who doesn't often insist on anything) felt uneasy after hearing a Radio 2 debate on the subject where a doctor defending and promoting the safety of the MMR was asked directly whether his children had the MMR jab was forced to admit that they had not and they had gone with single vaccines. Now that our daughter is older he would he happy for her to receive the MMR booster instead of the single vaccine boosters if necessary.

So, I have two options:

1) Instead of getting her boosters (which are now due) as single vaccines, I could speak to our GP about getting the MMR which means that she will have had double doses of vaccinations for Measles and Rubella but only one dose for Mumps. Not sure if the immunisation body in Australia will take that as her being immunised against Mumps and therefore she will have all necessary immunisations (I know there a few more like Hep B and Varicella which we don't do in UK which I am happy for her to have although she has already had Chicken Pox if they will take my word for that). My only worry about this is if they say she needs a further MMR as she only had one dose of Mumps vaccine, I can't say I'm going to happy with that as it means she will have had triple doses of the Measles and Rubella vaccine.

2) Get her the single boosters for Measles and Rubella and see if a GP in Australia will fill out an exemption form for medical reasons as if she has had double doses of Measles and Rubella vaccinations it would maybe not be a good idea for her to be getting two MMR jabs in order to satisfy the mumps immunisation criteria?

I have asked my sister in law to make some enquiries with the GP/Centrelink on the issue as am getting nowhere on the internet so maybe she will turn up an answer. I have also emailed the Immunisation Australia organisation to ask them and am awaiting reply.

I just wondered if anyone else has found themselves in this situation with no Mumps immunisation and how they proceeded? Any thoughts/advice?

Many Thanks

Karen

I'd discuss with your GP about having the MMR course to give her full immunity. I don't think there is any problem them getting vaccinated again for the same things. I know a few kids have had this done over the years.

The only reason we didn't opt for the MMR course here again was our son was only missing the chicken pox aspect and I didn't see the point of having the full MMR course all over again if one jab for chicken pox was all that was actually needed/required. We had the full 3 course menu for the Hep B over the months also. I paid for the chicken pox vaccine myself, $50. Had I opted for the MMR course it would have been free.

FWIW the Doctors told me that they accept visible chicken pox scars or an official vaccination cert, otherwise they can't sign off on chicken pox as being had or vaccinated against. Hence us having the one off jab. If there had been no option to have the single chicken pox vaccine I'd have opted for the full course of MMR again to cover him. I don't know if a GP's letter from the UK would count for anything or not? I never asked. I'd guess the GP would have had to have sighted the child and have a proper record of it to sign off on it also.

My son was given the chicken pox vaccine for free. Wasn't even an issue for us and the MMR wasn't even mentioned. At least I'm assuming it was a single chicken pox vaccine. He has had chicken pox but with no proof it was just easier to get him vaccinated.

There is absolutely norneason why kids can't have an extra MMR vaccine. The reason they have two is because they don't always get full immunity from the first vaccine. Getting them a third time will not do any harm. If you want to be able to get child care benefit or rebate you will need to have your child fully vaccinated with the only acceptable exceptions being medical reasons (eg allergies to the vaccines).

Maybe ask for a titre level to be done, as I have heard that single doses are not as efficient as the combined vaccine, not sure if this is supported by medical evidence.. If Titre levels are low I don't see the harm in then having the MMR,, however I am not a Dr or a immunisation nurse. I work as a midwife so I just administer Hep B and vit K to newborns.

Am I right in thinking children can't attend nursery/school if they are not fully vaccinated either?[/quote

Think it depends on the nursery. Had to show my 3 year old's immunization record when she started kindy. But then, 6 months later, we moved her to a different nursery on the same school site as her older sisters and they never even asked about immunizations.

Get the full MMRV jabs, they shouldn't do your kids any harm. Talk to the GP when you get here about what's needed. You can always pay for separate vaccines if you chose but MMRV is fine. it's easy and GP's are generally pretty good with getting you up to speed, and linking Centrelink and medicare to it for the childcare placements. Failing that, speak to your local public health unit about school and community vaccinations and they're a wealth of helpful info.

Vaccines are always preferable to catching the disease, it's the equivalent of refusing to put a seatbelt on your child because "I drive carefully so no one will crash into me". sheer arrogance.

Yes, I have kids, and yes they are immunised, and yes I work in health!

Most work by exposing the child to a crippled version of the virus which allows your child to build up the same residual antibodies without the side effects of the infection.

OP, Andrew Wakefield is probably responsible for more child deaths than any 50 child murderers you care to mention, as he falsified his work (Still given credit today by 'experts' on the net) knowingly. There is no real link to autism from any vaccine. The link only exists on the internet and in peoples heads, which is still a very dangerous space to exist in, as it will never go away and will reinfect people with it's lies. You may as well believe the earth is flat (actually, I know one or two of them as well!). :huh:

Aus is great, but they do believe in protecting their children (which I think is good but there are a few who don't!).

QUOTE=Tickled Pink;1936893389]I think chicken pox is ok - don't hold me 100% to that, but my understanding is they're happy for kids to catch it rather than be compulsory immunised for it.

Sorry should have said, I meant with the new legislation that has been passed?

You would have to check with the childcare facility. Some may refuse.

Not sure why you're quoting me Seraphim, and having a pop! I'm not anti immunisation by any means! I'm a Dr! not in child health though. My chicken pox remark was in response to another question that has since been deleted...

Sorry Pink, I didn't realise it had quoted you on my response, it wasn't directed AT you! I must've pressed reply with quote instead of just reply to thread! Wasn't' intending to have a pop at you (or anyone)! You do raise an important point on chicken pox which as you say must have been in reference to an earlier question, and I'm fairly sure I've never heard any of my colleagues suggest catching chicken pox over vaccination (in theory, as are all these things, the vaccine 'should' offer greater protection against later life shingles which catching chicken pox doesn't always, so it's supposed to be better for long term resistance.)

Well, that's not true, I would have a pop at Wakefield! :wink: he's caused so much headache and heartbreak.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update on this as I now have an answer as to what I will need to do so that my daughter satisfies the immunisation criteria and we will still be eligible for childcare rebate. I have a niece who is three days younger than my daughter and my sister-in-law asked both the nurse doing my niece's MMR booster and the GP and here is what they have said.

They advised that I get my daughter the MMR booster, she has previously had single vaccines for Measles and Rubella, this will mean she is fully immunised for these and she will have one dose of the Mumps vaccine which is deemed satisfactory. She will also need the Hep B course of jabs which is on the list for Australia. My daughter had chicken pox only a few months ago and still has visible marks, if needed I will get the blood test to show that she has had them and this will mean that she won't need to have the Varicella vaccine.

I'm happy for her to have the MMR booster now that she is older, relieved that they would not insist on two doses of MMR because of the Mumps issue.

Just thought this may be useful info for anyone finding themselves in the same situation.

Seraphim,

I know that Andrew Wakefield's work on the subject was flawed, but enough of a perceived link existed for a court in Italy and the US to rule that there was a link and in these cases the families received compensation. I explained at the beginning of my post that it was a Radio 2 debate with two doctors discussing the subject which raised eyebrows, I didn't just google it. Your comment that 'you may as well believe the earth is flat' is a little insulting. It seems you are one of those people who think that anyone who sees an issue differently than you is unintelligent? The first part of your response was helpful, so thanks for that, the second part where you just got on your soapbox, not so much.

Just thought I would post an update on this as I now have an answer as to what I will need to do so that my daughter satisfies the immunisation criteria and we will still be eligible for childcare rebate. I have a niece who is three days younger than my daughter and my sister-in-law asked both the nurse doing my niece's MMR booster and the GP and here is what they have said.

They advised that I get my daughter the MMR booster, she has previously had single vaccines for Measles and Rubella, this will mean she is fully immunised for these and she will have one dose of the Mumps vaccine which is deemed satisfactory. She will also need the Hep B course of jabs which is on the list for Australia. My daughter had chicken pox only a few months ago and still has visible marks, if needed I will get the blood test to show that she has had them and this will mean that she won't need to have the Varicella vaccine.

I'm happy for her to have the MMR booster now that she is older, relieved that they would not insist on two doses of MMR because of the Mumps issue.

Just thought this may be useful info for anyone finding themselves in the same situation.

Thanks Karen for sharing this info. I'm sure it will be very helpful for others with young families moving over too. Good luck with the rest of the move.

Archived