Backpack weight!!

Chiara Giannetti

Hey guys! I leave tonight for perth woooo. My backpack weighed around 9kg which i was happy with, but with some last minute final packing its now 11kg. I weigh around 57kg im wondering if this is ok and what other peoples experience has been with a heavy pack. Ive tried to pack really light, threw a lot of stuff out but cant seem to get the weight lower than 11, kind of need everything ive got i think!

I think you've done well to keep it at that. I pack so light when I travel that my sisters laugh at me - I used to come home for a visit every two years, and I only brought one medium-sized case and a carry-on bag. The case usually weighed around 11 kg and that was enough clothes to last me 6-8 weeks.

The best thing to do is put the pack on and try walking around with it. If it feels OK then it's OK.

If it doesn't, then I'd say you need to review whether it's the right bag rather than leave stuff behind. After all, if you leave stuff out, then you'll only have to buy replacements when you're in Australia, and you'll have to pack the replacement things in your backpack - so you'll be back to the same weight again.

Thanks for the reassurance, think thats all i was needing! If yours weight 11kg then hopefully i am doing ok then! Yes your right, i was looking at things going to chuck thdm out thinking id just need to buy it again. It feels ok to walk about with, hopefully it will be ok and wont give me too much pain lol thanks very much!

11kg is exceptionally good! When I flew a few weeks ago mine was 16kg and I am a 66 yr old woman. Not a worry and I was a whole lot more comfortable than other folk I saw wrestling blooming great cases on the Tube. We had over a mile walk to our motel at the airport on the way out and it wasn't a problem. With a Good fitting pack, once it's on you're home and hosed. Getting it on can be an issue if you don't have upper body strength but there are easy ways to do that too - if push comes to shove, just put it on a bench, upright, and sit into it or put your leg up onto a rail and swing your pack up onto your knee. My regular backpack (handbag) often weighs around 5-6kg so 11kg should be a breeze. I fear mine is going to be more returning as I've been to some wool shops!!!!!!

Archived