Cost of shipping pets shocked to see costs per pet we have 2 dogs and a cat

The Smith Clan

Hi , our standard Labradoodle has just been released (last Sunday) from quarantine and we used Golden Arrow to manage the process for us. He's arrived safely and is very healthy too. He's a large dog, standard poodle/Lab cross, and very energetic. We had to leave him in the UK for 4 weeks over Xmas and New Year to complete his final blood tests and parasite treatments before he was 'ready' to ship.

I've given a bit of detail below as to who we chose, why we chose them and why it was a good choice for us. I know that when researching myself I wanted to know detail of OP's actual experience and thought it might help some here!

We wanted to find somewhere that we believed would look after him really well and also give him special attention to get used to the crate for his trip. Due to an early puppy experience of a tummy upset whilst crated overnight he has had a massive aversion to them ever since. After his castration the vets had to take him out of his pen until we arrived to collect as he had attacked it within a few minutes! So you can imagine our concern.

When searching for a company we obviously were concerned to get a competitive quote ( as it is so expensive) but also really needed what we hoped would be the best care and prep for him before travel. Golden Arrow had good recommendations on this forum and in communicating with them before hand they were so reassuring. They have decades of experience. Their quote was indeed very competitive also. I took a trip from our home just North of London ( so you can see how much the care of the dog was important for me not to use a London based company) to their kennels and I'm glad I did. It is lovely. The whole team there are lovely. It is as if the dogs/cats are their family. The facilities for exercising the dog I would suggest are second to none. The onsite handyman skills of their carpenter are a big bonus as they custom make on site to the exact size of your pet which is very robust indeed. It is so much stronger than the kennel made for our cats by a nearby Heathrow based exporter several years before on a previous trip to Oz. The cats crate was indeed adequate, just nowhere near as robust. GA kept me up to date throughout the few weeks of his stay with emails and photos and they got him used to his crate well in advance of travel. When he arrived in Melbourne, AQIS sent me an email to say not only that he had arrived safely, but ' he has appeared to travel very well'. You can imagine my relief! GA have also been in touch a few times since he's been back with us this week to see how he's been settling in as well.

Re costs, then AQIS now charge a standard set fee of AUD 1,200 plus a few set fees including AUD29/day. This worked out a bit cheaper all in than the previous cAUD130/night quoted earlier in the thread and I wasn't charged any additional fees. Golden Arrow paid for the standard fee and set fees up front on my behalf and I paid them the whole in GBP.

I do agree it is a horrendous cost now and we couldn't afford it this time for our two now elderly cats. They've done the trip to and fro once before. They have had to stay at home with my Mum this time. They have settled in really well and I think are enjoying the dedicated attention without our dog hassling them all the time! I definitely miss them more than they miss me!

By the way, for internal Australia transfers I would recommend Petraveller based in Melbourne! They also seem to really care for the pets and send you reassuring emails/texts and photos.

Good luck!

Congrates on the move, best of luck. What was the total bill with golden arrow?

Maria x

I was recently told they used to be able to go together but not anymore. I have a very nervous cavvie and this worries me as he is fine with my other dog and they board together when we go away, they are very close.

Check with Bob at Petair as it used to be they could go in adjoining crates and be able to see each other through the mesh. They can't go in together for numerous reasons and in case of potential injury from one to the other (dogs do react differently under stress and so this could happen).

Congrates on the move, best of luck. What was the total bill with golden arrow?

Maria x

We are using Golden Arrow in April for our Shar Pei inbox me if you want the details

Shar Pei are a breed that airlines worry about carrying as they are a bracheleptic breed but Golden Arrow have been great I trying to put my mind at rest ! Quarantine fees end up about $1700 and the permit to import was $480 so it's an expensive excercise but leaving the baby to us is not an option

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a chat with Bob at Petair he has been a vet for many years and is the only one I would trust my babies with. We have had numerous pet agents wanting to partner with the forum but Bob is the only one I feel I can highly recommend. I knew him before we owned the forum the only downside is he doesn't push his business enough. He is definitely the best out there.

Guest Priscilla101

Does no one just sort it themselves? Contact the airline and defra for paperwork and talk to Melbourne quarantin??

Does no one just sort it themselves? Contact the airline and defra for paperwork and talk to Melbourne quarantin??

It's not that easy the airlines prefer to deal with shipping company's ,getting the permit from BICON was hard ( I did it myself but should have let golden arrow ) plus the procedures need to get them there need to be adhered to by the letter and the shipping companies have that down to a fine art

We are using Golden Arrow in April for our Shar Pei inbox me if you want the details

Shar Pei are a breed that airlines worry about carrying as they are a bracheleptic breed but Golden Arrow have been great I trying to put my mind at rest ! Quarantine fees end up about $1700 and the permit to import was $480 so it's an expensive excercise but leaving the baby to us is not an option

thanks yes I will inbox and get a quote.

Maria x

Good thread here on DIY shipping....to be honest if you were to compare DIY with golden arrow, I'm not sure you would save a great deal.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/214692-emigrating-pets-d-i-y.html

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

To be honest it's not so much defray for paperwork it's what Australia wants that really counts

there are step by step instruction on the AQUIS site and they need to be carried out to the letter

vets in the uk need to be government approved and not all vets are

Blood test etc need to be done at certain times we had to use the results of the rabies blood tests to gain the permit

quarantine can't be booked until you have the permit

You need to state for the permit who is shipping the pet and an address in OZ luckily my family are there so that's not a problem

You pay a deposit with quarantine who are supposed to get back to you with confirmation within I set time ours took a good few days longer more fretting

Then when you get the word that you have got those dates you need the air way bill flight details etc for your pet so they know when it will arrive

it really is a step by step process which I think needs to be left to the proffesionals if possible

To me it's stressful enough when emigrating without worrying in case things are not right for a much loved pet

We are so far so good with our boy but have his strict schedule for flea and ticke treatment and blood tests in the next few weeks

one hiccup is our usual government authorised get is on holiday when we want our next appointment so we need to go to a different surgery just so the vet has that little red official stamp

To be honest it's not so much defray for paperwork it's what Australia wants that really counts

there are step by step instruction on the AQUIS site and they need to be carried out to the letter

vets in the uk need to be government approved and not all vets are

Blood test etc need to be done at certain times we had to use the results of the rabies blood tests to gain the permit

quarantine can't be booked until you have the permit

You need to state for the permit who is shipping the pet and an address in OZ luckily my family are there so that's not a problem

You pay a deposit with quarantine who are supposed to get back to you with confirmation within I set time ours took a good few days longer more fretting

Then when you get the word that you have got those dates you need the air way bill flight details etc for your pet so they know when it will arrive

it really is a step by step process which I think needs to be left to the proffesionals if possible

To me it's stressful enough when emigrating without worrying in case things are not right for a much loved pet

We are so far so good with our boy but have his strict schedule for flea and ticke treatment and blood tests in the next few weeks

one hiccup is our usual government authorised get is on holiday when we want our next appointment so we need to go to a different surgery just so the vet has that little red official stamp

Hi Pat,

Glad to read you've got your quarantine dates now :wink: Like yourselves my lot are coming into the strict schedule time, have just literally sat down with my vets again this week and made sure we've got all the dates and times right ....very glad my vets surgery has 3 OV's ....so don't have to stress or take them to anywhere else ....I know one of them will be there for each visit and be there to do all the paperwork for their health certs ....i also know as much as is humanly possible they will get it spot on ....am going to miss my vets surgery in the Uk heaps, they have been fabulous to my furbabies through so many things over the years . I have told them more than once that I think they should move the entire surgery down under too!! :laugh:

cheers Mary-Anne

Our vets has two government approved just happened the date we need to book one will be in Ireland and one in Poland but they very helpfully got me in to another surgery ! I have allready looked at the vets near where we will be living in Oz and they seem to have a good reputation so we shall see Like everything else you miss what your used to lol

Just be very carefule of attempting this yourself.

We are doing it the other way - Oz to UK - which is easier as no quarantine to go through. We are using Dogtainers who are wonderful but I have seen a lot of pitfalls I could have fallen into. For example, one of the main pet carriage airlines the other week suddenly suspended all animal carriage. We were supposed to be using them. But the agent was able to sort it painlessly. Imagine if you had your quarantine booked and at the last minute discovered they couldn't fly!

Just be very carefule of attempting this yourself.

We are doing it the other way - Oz to UK - which is easier as no quarantine to go through. We are using Dogtainers who are wonderful but I have seen a lot of pitfalls I could have fallen into. For example, one of the main pet carriage airlines the other week suddenly suspended all animal carriage. We were supposed to be using them. But the agent was able to sort it painlessly. Imagine if you had your quarantine booked and at the last minute discovered they couldn't fly!

Exactly - it has to be so very precise to go to Oz ,the permit only lasts for 12 months ,specific tests on specific dates plus the threat of the dog or cat not being allowed in or even worse put to sleep if the requirements aren't adhered to - scary stuff

You cant really do that much on your own. the airlines demand a shipper books the flight, (though there was a post saying Emirates may take a booking from a private client), the vet work has to be done by your vets and the post mentioned about DIY pet shipping never got to the end of the story :(

There are loads of factors to consider - none of the shippers in UK are bad or dodgy. We all offer slightly different things. At Petair we offer the QANTAS route to Melbourne as we feel it is the best and most direct route with the shortest stop over. Other shippers will "sell" you the Emirates or Singapore airlines route as it allows the pets to be taken out of their crates at the stop over point - but actually it is because they cant really get to Heathrow for the 0900 check in for the QANTAS flight as they are too far from the airport. Some pets will love to be taken out of their crates in Dubai, but actually some pets (especially cats) would hate being taken out and handled by a stranger.

With pet shipping there is no right and no wrong. The best way to go about it is to chat to the shippers you may use and see what they can do for you based on what will be best for your pets. After all - the owner knows their pets the best. When getting quotes - look at what is included and what is not as often cheaper quotes dont include things which you then have to pay your vet for - so when you get a quote which looks cheap ask the question "what is not included and how much will that cost me?"

Key thing to remember is that if you are thinking about this process for your pets then start the rabies work early!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Adding on to this from my experience it is more stressful taking a dog/cat out of a crate in a strange environment with strange people than it is to leave them settled for the next leg of the flight. It's only us humans who have it in our head that they need to come out and stretch their legs.

Our vets has two government approved just happened the date we need to book one will be in Ireland and one in Poland but they very helpfully got me in to another surgery ! I have allready looked at the vets near where we will be living in Oz and they seem to have a good reputation so we shall see Like everything else you miss what your used to lol

That's good similar here the owner of the surgery (ie chief vet) won't be there on last of the paperwork day BUT one of the other two will be...my dogs and myself know all 3 of them so that's cool. Same here I've got a few options around the district, all seem to be pretty good have been checking out their reps and talking to locals for feedback, so will go and see them in person once I'm there.

So true for me I guess it's a bit unique in that I'm originally from Australia so i'm going back to what I used to be used to ...if that makes sense lol My vets over here as in UK have seen me through so many things from having to put my cat to sleep through to my dogs 2 litters of pups being born and all sorts of stuff in between and since so yep I will miss them and their care for my animals ....I just hope my new vets have the same level of care compassion and love for my animals....yep I freely admit I'm fussy when it comes to my vets ....I always think of a quote I saw somewhere that goes like 'If I entrust my dogs to your care for even one minute that means you are a special person '

cheers Mary-Anne

Again I agree as I know my boy would try to bolt I am far more content knowing he will be in a safe environment when he is eventually let out of the crate We had a friend who was strange to him walk him on a beach - he slipped his collar and belated back to us like a greyhound plus pulled the friend over into the bargain and he face planted in the sand

I think as long as they have the space they need in their crate they probably feel much more secure if only they could talk and tell us what they think !

lol I know I shouldn't laugh but the face plant story gave me a chuckle :notworthy: As you can imagine my 3 being Huskies have immense pulling power when they put their minds to it...if they got loose they could go for miles and miles and miles....very true...I'm still debating whether to send their walking harnesses with them attached to their crates for their Dubai stopover ...haven't quite made my mind up yet ....on the one hand if they pulled or were in a panic their harnesses would help control them without the risk of choking them if leads are only attached around their collars / neck , on the other they get way too excited when they see the harnesses and them being contained in a crate they could injure themselves with excitement ....so I think it might cause more problems than it solves. Logically they won't be going far, and I have faith that the animal handlers are experienced in dealing with animals in transit. I know my lot will very much appreciate the break at the coolest time of the evening in Dubai and also the quietest time in terms of airport noise. They will be on their way again before it gets hot etc ....am not really too worried about whether they eat or not during the stopover but I know they will want water over the trip. Have begun using my practice travel crate so they are comfy in it, are easy to get in and out of it, and yep they have found and use their attached water bowls and settle down quickly. They relate their travel crate to something good happening (huskies strongly respond to positive reinforcement) which is exactly how I hoped they would relate being in it for periods of time. I guess my own studies in animal behaviour animal care and animal welfare help me quite a bit to evaluate their reactions. Of course I can't simulate the airport conditions however I feel every thing I can do to make them at ease will help...and I do keep in mind that it's but a tiny fraction of their whole lives ...only a day or so ...even with quarantine it's only a couple of weeks all told ....on that note I'd best get myself in gear as my furbabies are off down to the vets today for one of those very treatments we speak of lol

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen