Calling all teachers

Guest Rbecca

Hi,

I am a primary teacher and I'm off to QLD in Feb. I think I will try to get some supply work and then apply for a pemanent post. If you have ANY help or advice including handy websites I would be eternally grateful if you could pass them on. I'm not even sure how to find the sort of stuff which is taught - all I can find are airy fairy philosophy of teaching and learning when I need the meaty bits. Do they 'do' the Romans and such like?

Appreciately

Rebecca

Guest austibeach

Well Rebecca, I noticed that spelling mistake straight away, shame on you :shock:

Anyway, if you try a Goggle search for "Curriculum in Australian Schools" it offers a whole host of links. The first link, I believe, is the Dept. of Education website for Australia.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Eric.

Guest spray21

Hi Rbecca - I'm a teacher too, although secondary. I teach history, and have been amazed at how similar the curriculum is in Australia - they even teach about Medieval Villages! Why?! Bizarre! On the plus side, not that much extra for me to learn - am ploughing through some Aussie history books at the moment in preparation!

I have been looking as NSW rather than Queensland, so the details will all be different - but I'dagree with austibeach and say do the google search, there are loads of sites.

Before you go, make sure you have certificates showing your degree and teacher training, and proof of previous employment in the UK. Maybe also statements from ex-colleagues etc, all to put in to a portfolio.

good luck!

WOW! Brave or what!

I finish school at Christmas and leave for Oz mid Feb. I haven't sold the house so it looks as though I will have to supply to pay the mortgage. Goodness knows what I will do if I don't sell the house. I don't fancy renting as it seems like a big tie to the old world. At some point I would HAVE to sell to buy in Oz. What stage are you up to in the migration process? Keep me updated if you find any good info please and I will do the same.

Regards

Rebecca

Guest spray21

He he he, brave or terminally lazy!! Am doing a mixture of temping and supply to pay the mortgage until house is sold - we accepted an offer six weeks ago but we're still at least a few weeks away from completing.

If you plan to sell before leaving then you might want to get house on market soon as it can take AGES to all go through and can be v stressful too.

We are lucky in that when we have sold we have somewhere to stay for the last few months - we don't leave until beginning April.

The best info I've found is on http://www.teach.nsw.edu.au - but it is all for nsw. There might be a link though to the sites for other states, so it may be worth a look for you any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rbecca and All

My husband and I are both teachers. We sold our house last October, got our tickets and arrived in Oz this August. We travelled for a few weeks- well until the middle of October. We have two kids 6 & 8, they were fed up living out of a car!!

anyway we thought we had all the checks covered before coming out, NOOSR, Queenland teachers Reg etc.

Settled in Hervey Bay and rented house until April, put kids into school. Now we had to find jobs, not as easy as we thought.

We had to apply to another sector- providing all certificates again, then onto a tracer system.

My husband has had 6 days work, it has taken this long for me to get on it and have had only 2 half days.

I am primary, he secondary. Becoming friendly with the teachers at my kids school and after some drinks on Friday. We were told unless we can travel to schools we won't be made permanent here.

The system is as we understand.

The gov employs you. They send you anywhere within the state.

They can remove you to any other school in that state at any time.

You have to earn points inner city schools earn more points.

Only when you earn enough points can you request a school or place to work in. normally 5 years!!!

We can't be this flexible because of the kids.

The teachers here have at least one partner in a different line of work so do supply if they don't get contract work.

Due to this it looks like we will have to return back to UK as we both enjoy teaching and are not qualified to do any other job.

I gave up my job and now in a situation that wasn't planned.

photocopy all your certificates and get them certified beforehand. If you can be flexible you may be ok.

be prepared to come up with the attitude of Australian teacher deserve the posts first- which is quite right. but won't help you.

private schools seems the best way but mainly religious, good luck!

What a palava! But thanks for the info. How on earth do you buy a house and settle?

I am gathering all the QLD registering stuff at the moment and getting it all certified. I work in a Catholic primary school now and would like to do the same over there.

I can't believe that you're having to come back - thats truly awful!

Rebecca

• 1 month later...
Guest spray21

rbecca - on the plus side, a willingness to work in Catholic schools will open up more opportunities for you. You also always have the right to say no to jobs offered - it's just that the more specific you are about what you will accept, the longer you are likely to wait for it. Catholic schools are also more likely to be independent, so you would apply directly to them any way.

An interesting post! Other readers may want to check out a thread I started sometime ago under the subject of "Getting a job when you get here"

• 4 weeks later...

Archived