Citizenship application - certified copies OK in absence of originals?

CXW

I'm eligible to apply for Australian citizenship next week, so am in the process of pulling all the necessary documentation together.

I've hit a (hopefully) minor glitch in that I do not have my original birth certificate or deed poll certificate, only certified copies of them.

Has anyone had the same/a similar situation and what was the outcome?

Thanks, Cai

Thanks. I've already got copies of my full birth certificate via the details you mention, but they are still certified copies, not originals.

The issue is whether certified copies are acceptable as documentation for a citizenship application? Common sense would suggest they are, but bureaucracy and common sense are sometimes very uncommon bedfellows, so I'm hoping someone who has applied for citizenship can reassure me or tell me how they dealt with this issue.

Thanks. I've already got copies of my full birth certificate via the details you mention, but they are still certified copies, not originals.

The issue is whether certified copies are acceptable as documentation for a citizenship application? Common sense would suggest they are, but bureaucracy and common sense are sometimes very uncommon bedfellows, so I'm hoping someone who has applied for citizenship can reassure me or tell me how they dealt with this issue.

If you've got the official copy from the Register Office then it's fine. I had to do the same.

All UK birth and marriage certificates are (and always have been) copies. The original is the one retained on file by the registrar (nowadays on computer but in the old days in a bound ledger).

I used all certified copies for my citizenship, both birth certificate and name change deed pole. Mine were certified copies of the certified copies. Never had a problem it only took me 6 weeks from applying for citizenship to attending my citizenship ceremony.

Archived