Is a hotel in King's Cross central enough for first visit? Or should I look elsewhere?

syd

I'm going to be visiting Sydney soon for an activation trip, and I've found a decently priced hotel in King's Cross. Please have a look at it on the map and let me know if you what you think of the area for a week's visit (first trip to Aus). TripAdvisor tells me it's in the heart of Sydney's red light district, but it looks fairly decent and the reviews aren't bad. Most importantly, it's good on price - not cheap but not expensive by Sydney standards by any means.

This is it:

https://goo.gl/maps/9QgR7ELRUtR2

The train is 3 minutes away at King's Cross Station, but should I be looking closer to Darling Harbour or elsewhere as somewhere nice and central to get out and about via train/bus/etc? Or will this do the trick? Don't want to find that I have to hurry home before dark, or face ladies of the night soliciting me on the walk back from the station! :)

It looks nice in the photo and I'd be happy to stay there. I see from the map that it is between the two main roads - Darlinghurst Road and Victoria Street - so it might be quiet. I don't go there very much to be honest but twenty years ago I was there nearly every day going to and from work at Garden Island Dockyard and I was never worried about walking through there. Since the NSW government passed the "Lockout" law a couple of years ago, it's supposed to be much quieter late at night. It's always been as much a residential area as night life anyway. I've read about bars and clubs closing because of the lack of business. I don't even think of Kings Cross as a red light district any more now that brothels are legal and all over the city.

It is certainly handy for public transport with Kings Cross Station a couple of minute away, and the City one stop to Martin Place, and two more to Central where every train either goes through or departs including trains to the country - Blue Mountains, Wollongong, interstate. Bondi Junction is two stops the other way from Kings Cross where you can get buses all over the Eastern Suburbs and the 311 bus service between Central and Circular Quay goes along Darlinghurst Road.

I'm going to be visiting Sydney soon for an activation trip, and I've found a decently priced hotel in King's Cross. Please have a look at it on the map and let me know if you what you think of the area for a week's visit (first trip to Aus).

It depends what the purpose of your trip is, e.g. what areas of Sydney you're planning to see. King's Cross is very handy for the city if that's where you want to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I stayed at the vibe hotel a lot when I used to visit sydney for work, which is just around the corner in Rushcutters bay.

It's really nice I'd say. It was harmless back in 2005 and 2007, and sounds like it's even more 'safe' now. So you'd have nothing at all to worry about.

It's a good spot. On the train line, so you can go anywhere pretty much. Lots of places to eat and social stuff. Close to the water, so you can take a stroll at Rushcutters bay. Near loads of stuff.

Sounds nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk