Equivalent of Citizens Advice Bureau?

Sol Survivor

Hi everyone,

did a quick search on this and could only find people making suggestions to complaints about dodgy builders etc. which is not the case. I need to know if there's any organisation in Victoria that can offer some basic advice relating to the following;

I've decided to push the Department of Transport on something all the way to court. It's very small, and thus doesn't require legal representation, but it's so frivolous and ridiculous that I'm going to fight it all the way. I have to be in court in April. I was sent the Charge Sheet and Summons, which supposedly has the transcript of my dialogue with the Officer for Department of Transport. But the version of me on this document is a yes and no robot! When it gets to the part where the officer says to me, "what are your reasons for.........", there is no response from me according to the transcript. This document fails to mention that when the officer approached me I was on the phone having a very stressful conversation, and he promised to file this in his report. He hasn't done so nor as mentioned does the report make it look like I said anything!

The advice I therefore need ideally from a Citizens advice bureau, or something of that ilk, is do I just go to court and potentially make them look stupid with their very poor transcript of events? Or is it in my best interests to contact them and make them aware that what they've sent me is massively incomplete, and omits a key event that lead to the incident?

Thanks.

I don't know about something equivalent to the CAB but sometimes the Universities run free legal clinics (well the one I work at does anyway) where students give legal advice under the supervision of tutors. Maybe have a look at the local Uni's to see if any of them do something similar?

I would front court myself.

It is a gamble as if you lose the costs will be greater.

If it is a question of your word against the officer the court will probably believe the officer though.

I don't think it's so much word against word. I think it's just a rather sloppy transcript that I'm wondering if I should draw their attention to, or if I'll make them look a bit stupid when I bring it up in court.

The advice I therefore need ideally from a Citizens advice bureau, or something of that ilk

Thanks.

You haven't mentioned in which state you are located but all have Community Legal Service Centres. There may be slight name variations in some states but if you google Community Legal Service in your state it should produce the relevant information.

You haven't mentioned in which state you are located but all have Community Legal Service Centres. There may be slight name variations in some states but if you google Community Legal Service in your state it should produce the relevant information.

Thanks to everyone for replying but I think your answer has got me on the right route. I googled Community Legal Service Centres, and there is indeed one near me where i am in Melbourne. They offer phone consultation but also do face to face 30 minute appointments where they come to your area and base themselves in one place and book you in to come and see them. So I'm booked in to see them in 8 days time when they visit my suburb. I'll post again after my meeting to let people know if it's the help I was after.

Thanks again

My 2 cents... settle it.

Many of us have fantasies about fighting a just cause and wining against a bigger opponent, that why The Castle is such a popular film but it is fiction.

It is highly unlikely a free legal service will use their limited resources on a trivial case, a decent honest paid lawyer will advise you to settle, a delusional one will tell you what you want to hear ..... until your money runs out.

Its very easy for people to offer 'advice' from a safe distance, but they are not the ones paying the bill or coping with the stress.

I have some experience of legal proceedings, until you personal experience of it you do not realise how appalling and evil the judicial system is.

Justice is a myth in every court whether criminal or civil, it has little to do with justice, the side with the most money wins.

Ask a woman who has been to court on a rape case, almost invariably the victim will say the cross examination was more traumatising than the original crime, that fact should act as a warning to anyone considering going to court. Lower courts, dealing with less serious matters, are no different.

For people not used to it court procedngs are very stressful - is it worth it.

People love to say 'it's the principle' those words are music to (some) lawyers ears, the honest ones will tell you to drop it, settle and get on with your life.

It is highly unlikely a free legal service will use their limited resources on a trivial case... Its very easy for people to offer 'advice' from a safe distance.......

I wasn't for one moment expecting a community legal service to prosecute his case. But one of its primary roles is to explain options and clarify legal procedures to clients. It would then be for the OP to decide which (if any) option he pursues.

Archived