Areas to move to with a family in Melbourne?

The Smith Clan

Looking at areas best for a young family. We are currently living in a semi rural area in UK and local for work, school and activities. just at the start of process of moving and need to start considering areas. My pet hate is a long commute, would be working as a social worker. Would want an area that is low on crime, but also not crazy on the rent. Ideally local to parks and in reach of leisure activities. Looking for advice and especially if you have moved already and your experience of areas?

thanks in advance.

Low crime, local to parks and good facilities, do not go hand in hand with rents that are not crazy. You will pay for what you get, so can you give an idea of what sort of budget you are looking at rental wise? Also, where you end up working will have a great bearing on where you will end up renting.

If you're semi rural in the UK, are you prepared for the Australian city lifestyle? Australian cities are very spread out, so it's just not possible to live in the country and work in town without a long commute.

I always remember when I lived in country Victoria - it took us three hours to drive all the way to the edge of Melbourne, then over an hour to get to the CBD!

Victoria is far more densely populated than other states with more reasonable-sized towns, have you looked at employment opportunities in regional centres like Ballarat?

There's not that much of a crime problem anywhere in Melbourne- despite what the news sometimes seems to show. It is really all very tame compared with other countries so I wouldn't worry on that score. Where we live it is what you would call rural in the UK- lots of trees, bushland etc but also very close to shops and large shopping malls. Anywhere in the Eastern suburbs beyond Box Hill is like that. I wouldn't look at the country towns these days because most of them are not thriving and it is a struggle to find work unless you are in health services or some sort of support industry. They are not the thriving centres they were even 20 years ago and many have vacant offices, shops and a feeling of poverty. Sad- but true. I am sure some will disagree with this but I have lived here a long time and seen the decline.

Archived