Passport for new bor

Terry

Hi, I would like to apply for passport for my new born bub, she is 3 months old, born in Australia with both myself and wife Malaysian citizen with Oz PR for years currently residing in Brisbane.

We are trying to apply for 2 passport for the baby ( oz and msia), as Aus probably doesn't care if you hold 2 passports, however is this legit under msia legislation for the baby under 18 to hold both passport with their parent as msia citizen?

Which passport should the baby use while incoming to msia and outgoing to oz? If the baby were to use msia passport for the trip, will the baby need Aus visa when returning to Aus? Any different if they used oz passport?

What is it like if baby were to use msia passport when returning to msia but oz passport when returning to oz, which will mean migration stamp on different passport, will this be an issue for Aus or msia migration?

any advise will be very much appreciated

thanks

@Terry First of all welcome to the forum and congratulation on the arrival of your new daughter.

Your baby is an Australian citizen by birth and can't hold an Australian visa for that reason.

For Australia, a citizen must depart and arrive (from/to australia) on an Australian passport.

Malaysians cannot be dual citizens and you would need to dissolve her Australian citizenship first before she could become Malaysian. Then she would need a visa to enter Australia, which would cause you no end of problems.

I would suggest getting an Australian passport for her and not complicating things by changing her nationality. Your daughter may need to have a visa of some kind to visit Malaysia just like any other foreign traveller to that country, details of these visas are beyond the scope of this forum.

I've seen quite a few naturalized Australians that still keep their Malaysian passports and never inform their government about the aussie one. Dual citizenship is prohibited in Malaysia.

She won't need a visa if visiting for less than 3 months on her aussie passport.

If you are dead set on getting her two passports then probably get her the Malaysian passport first and look into getting a declaratory visa from Australia. Later on, she can apply for a Australian passport and keep both until/unless she gets caught and her Malaysian citizenship is revoked. Apparently Malaysian immigration officers are aware of this situation and don't care much.

PS: Seek proper advice. Use the forum for ideas only and not take them as professional advice.

I've seen quite a few naturalized Australians that still keep their Malaysian passports and never inform their government about the aussie one. Dual citizenship is prohibited in Malaysia.

She won't need a visa if visiting for less than 3 months on her aussie passport.

If you are dead set on getting her two passports then probably get her the Malaysian passport first and look into getting a declaratory visa from Australia. Later on, she can apply for a Australian passport and keep both until/unless she gets caught and her Malaysian citizenship is revoked. Apparently Malaysian immigration officers are aware of this situation and don't care much.

PS: Seek proper advice. Use the forum for ideas only and not take them as professional advice.

She's an Australian citizen by birth. No way round that one. She needs an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia.

Most countries that prohibit dual citizenship allow persons under 18 to hold dual citizenship (on the logical grounds that they can't give up their citizenship until they're an adult). After that they have to decide. Unfortunately I've no idea if this applies to Malaysia or not.

It does say it's not really a visa, and it wouldn't be appropriate in this situation anyway as the op can get an Australian passport for their baby.

I know of a person who used this in a similar situation so I shared. Up to the OP to find out if it suits his scenario.

PS: It is still called a declarative visa however misleading it may be

I know of a person who used this in a similar situation so I shared. Up to the OP to find out if it suits his scenario.

PS: It is still called a declarative visa however misleading it may be

It's certainly good to know about. I know I've been meaning to get my daughter a passport 'just incase something happens and I have to rush to the U.K.' Good to know there are emergency options.

It's certainly good to know about. I know I've been meaning to get my daughter a passport 'just incase something happens and I have to rush to the U.K.' Good to know there are emergency options.

It only takes a day or two to get an Aussie passport in an emergency

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgentapplications/Pages/default.aspx

I'm not arguing about whether a declarative visa exists, I know it does. I'm just confused as to why someone would get that instead of a passport. Much easier to travel with. Even the application for the declarative visa says 'The quickest and mostefficient evidence of Australian citizenship for the purposes ofentry to Australia is a current Australian passport.'

Archived