Low thyroid

shak

Hey guys...Is it true that everyone with an underactive thyroid gain loads of weight?has anyone else got a low thyroid problem?and after treatment do you lose the weight?i just got told i have an underactive thyroid and more then anything else im worried about gaining lots of weight and not being able to lose it or have to work a 100 times harder to lose it.

Hey guys...Is it true that everyone with an underactive thyroid gain loads of weight?has anyone else got a low thyroid problem?and after treatment do you lose the weight?i just got told i have an underactive thyroid and more then anything else im worried about gaining lots of weight and not being able to lose it or have to work a 100 times harder to lose it.

It's something you've probably had for a while, so I wouldn't expect any sudden change. The opposite works too, overactive makes people thin. As long as there is nothing untoward I don't think it's an issue. I believe they can medicate if needs be.

I assume you are getting medical advice, if not, see your gp.

I have a low thyroid diagnosed 5 years ago. Had some weight gain been medicated 5 years lost some weight i'm in a healthy weight range but still probably 5/7 kilos over what i was 6 years ago. I do watch what i eat closely has i gain so easy these days. Tiredness is an issue and some body aches but i manage ok.

Like Newjez says, if you've had it for a while and haven't gained weight yet, then that's not going to change just because you've had an official diagnosis. Gaining weight is a common symptom of having a low thyroid, once you're on treatment it won't be a problem.

Archived