India tops immigration to Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Canada's top four out of five immigrant source countries are from Asia; China, India and the Philippines. The US is number five or six I believe. The numbers from the UK have been falling for over a decade now. From what I understand, and I don't know if this is true or not, but with the exception of the US, Canada has made it very difficult for those from other english-speaking countries to be granted visas into Canada. We seem to be targeting Asian countries and even other french-speaking countries. I don't quite understand the rational for this. In my city, Winnipeg, we have the largest per-capita Filipino population in the country (11% of the city is Filipino) continuing to grow every year, and our city is now almost 25-30% Asian. Vancouver and Toronto are now over 50% Asian. I would't be surprise if Vancouver is now 60-70% Asian.

I know about Vancouver, or Hongcouver as some call it, but no idea that Winnipeg was so cosmopolitan. 11% Filipino. That's a high rate. Anyway Canada has been a lot longer in the multi cultural game than Australia. In fact the father of your present PM was the instigator proper of the policy. Canada does sound remarkably successful and people appear generally very tolerant.

I've met some that were a little shocked at Australian attitudes over the years but hopefully those times have passed or at least passing.

Vancouver determined long ago that they wanted to be a major player in the Pacific region. Affordability seems to be the most negative outcome but hardly differing from Sydney in that respect.

Both countries will become increasingly Asianised over coming years creating an interesting and rather unique diversity. It won't be without some pain and just hope governments don't enforce large population increases for the sake of it in order to boost the economy, which has certainly been the case in Australia.

I know about Vancouver, or Hongcouver as some call it, but no idea that Winnipeg was so cosmopolitan. 11% Filipino. That's a high rate. Anyway Canada has been a lot longer in the multi cultural game than Australia. In fact the father of your present PM was the instigator proper of the policy. Canada does sound remarkably successful and people appear generally very tolerant.

I've met some that were a little shocked at Australian attitudes over the years but hopefully those times have passed or at least passing.

Vancouver determined long ago that they wanted to be a major player in the Pacific region. Affordability seems to be the most negative outcome but hardly differing from Sydney in that respect.

Both countries will become increasingly Asianised over coming years creating an interesting and rather unique diversity. It won't be without some pain and just hope governments don't enforce large population increases for the sake of it in order to boost the economy, which has certainly been the case in Australia.

Many foreigners don't realize how multicultural and cosmopolitan Winnipeg actually is. We are one of the most multicultural cities in the country; we even have the largest multicultural festival in the WORLD; Folklorama, my absolute favorite festival. Two weeks of endulging in ethnic food, drink and entertainment.

This has been made even more prominent over the last decade thanks to the Provincial Nominee Program (the largest in the country), allowing up to 20,000 immigrants settle in the province per year. When I moved back to Winnipeg a few years ago, I barely recognized the city anymore; I felt like I was in a much larger city. Canada is slated to take in 25,000 Syrian refugees over the next few months (Manitoba will get 2,000 of those), but I've heard reports that number could go as high as 100,000 over the next year if the government gets it's way in Parliament. If that is the case, Manitoba may get as many as 5,000-10,000 Syrians settlers.

Edited by Canada2Australia

Many foreigners don't realize how multicultural and cosmopolitan Winnipeg actually is. We are one of the most multicultural cities in the country; we even have the largest multicultural festival in the WORLD; Folklorama, my absolute favorite festival. Two weeks of endulging in ethnic food, drink and entertainment.

This has been made even more prominent over the last decade thanks to the Provincial Nominee Program (the largest in the country), allowing up to 20,000 immigrants settle in the province per year. When I moved back to Winnipeg a few years ago, I barely recognized the city anymore; I felt like I was in a much larger city. Canada is slated to take in 25,000 Syrian refugees over the next few months (Manitoba will get 2,000 of those), but I've heard reports that number could go as high as 100,000 over the next year if the government gets it's way in Parliament. If that is the case, Manitoba may get as many as 5,000-10,000 Syrians settlers.

According to last census 2011 figures for Winnipeg The Philippines is the place of origin with just under 6% and more people of Icelandic heritage live there than anywhere else.

...Anyway Canada has been a lot longer in the multi cultural game than Australia. In fact the father of your present PM was the instigator proper of the policy.

Are you sure, everything I have read on the subject suggested very similar timelines... ?

Canada does sound remarkably successful and people appear generally very tolerant.

Yes generally, though my current facebook timeline is testing my long held faith in Canada with all the xenophobia of my brothers Canadian in-laws and friends...boy they are annoying, never stops... :)

According to last census 2011 figures for Winnipeg The Philippines is the place of origin with just under 6% and more people of Icelandic heritage live there than anywhere else.

That data is a few years old already. The Filipino population is higher than that now, based on city and provincial data from 2014 (this data is more reliable for local population stats than national data anyways). Woomba corrected me that the total percentages I used for cities we representative of ethnic minority populations which are still significant. For instance, Winnipeg's total non-Hispanic white population is now down to 67%, and had been falling for over a decade now.

As for the Icelandic population, Gimli Manitoba (on the west shores of Lake Winnipeg) technically has the largest Icelandic population outside of Iceland.

Are you sure, everything I have read on the subject suggested very similar timelines... ?

Yes generally, though my current facebook timeline is testing my long held faith in Canada with all the xenophobia of my brothers Canadian in-laws and friends...boy they are annoying, never stops... :)

Yes I am sure. Canada in the 60's under the present PM's father was the first nation in the world to mention a multi cultural society as a policy. Australia was some behind. The late 60's being only the time the White Australia policy ceased. It took a few more decades before that policy became evident. Canada was well on the road by that time.

Red necks in all societies. Canada more tolerant, I'd suggest than most.

That data is a few years old already. The Filipino population is higher than that now, based on city and provincial data from 2014 (this data is more reliable for local population stats than national data anyways). Woomba corrected me that the total percentages I used for cities we representative of ethnic minority populations which are still significant. For instance, Winnipeg's total non-Hispanic white population is now down to 67%, and had been falling for over a decade now.

As for the Icelandic population, Gimli Manitoba (on the west shores of Lake Winnipeg) technically has the largest Icelandic population outside of Iceland.

Yes it is correct in saying Toronto is half visible immigrants and offspring and I believe Asians in mass are about 70% of those visible immigrants.

I'd be very surprised if Philippines born had increased so dramatically from under 6% of the population to 15%, but the next figures will be interesting. Must be a shock to the system landing in Winnipeg and minus 9 coming from The Philippines? I do wonder what the attraction is with Manitoba?

Yes it is correct in saying Toronto is half visible immigrants and offspring and I believe Asians in mass are about 70% of those visible immigrants.

I'd be very surprised if Philippines born had increased so dramatically from under 6% of the population to 15%, but the next figures will be interesting. Must be a shock to the system landing in Winnipeg and minus 9 coming from The Philippines? I do wonder what the attraction is with Manitoba?

The provincial census say the Winnipeg Filipino population is 10% and the city census says it's 9% as of 2014. I trust these counts more than the Federal counts because they don't contain any bias towards Winnipeg and Manitoba. Federal census always undercut population counts, especially if you are not one of the "Centre of the Universe" cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. There is such a bias towards the larger cities in Canada that it is truly pathetic. I'm sick and tired of the bias in the country which is one of the reasons I'm looking for a change of scenery. The people from those cities, and Calgary as well, are a bunch of stuck up, arrogant, holier-than-thow pricks. Useless, entitled bunch if you ask me.

Winnipeg has been attracting large amounts of Filipinos since the 1970s. Many of them come for the manufacturing jobs. I know many, and they are a hard working, gracious and wonderful people who play a huge role in anything that goes on in this city. Our South Asian population is now growing significantly as well, as is our black Francophone population. I love multiculturalism and I love how my home city is encouraging it. I hope it only continues strong in the future.

The provincial census say the Winnipeg Filipino population is 10% and the city census says it's 9% as of 2014. I trust these counts more than the Federal counts because they don't contain any bias towards Winnipeg and Manitoba. Federal census always undercut population counts, especially if you are not one of the "Centre of the Universe" cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. There is such a bias towards the larger cities in Canada that it is truly pathetic. I'm sick and tired of the bias in the country which is one of the reasons I'm looking for a change of scenery. The people from those cities, and Calgary as well, are a bunch of stuck up, arrogant, holier-than-thow pricks. Useless, entitled bunch if you ask me.

Winnipeg has been attracting large amounts of Filipinos since the 1970s. Many of them come for the manufacturing jobs. I know many, and they are a hard working, gracious and wonderful people who play a huge role in anything that goes on in this city. Our South Asian population is now growing significantly as well, as is our black Francophone population. I love multiculturalism and I love how my home city is encouraging it. I hope it only continues strong in the future.

I wonder outside of warmer weather just what improvement to your life you hope to find in Australia? It sounds to me very similar issues persist in both countries. Canada under a new progressive PM certainly looks a reasonable deal. Probably not quite as conservative as Australia?

I wonder outside of warmer weather just what improvement to your life you hope to find in Australia? It sounds to me very similar issues persist in both countries. Canada under a new progressive PM certainly looks a reasonable deal. Probably not quite as conservative as Australia?

I'm not sure why you are assuming that I'm only coming for the warmer weather??? Just because I'm from a northern climate, perhaps???? That is only a small reason why I'm looking elsewhere. I've already alluded to a few reasons why I'm looking for a change of scenery outside of Canada, and the weather is only a small part of the big picture :)

Can you please elaborate on how your Canadian in-laws are "xenophobic"? I'm really curious to know how you came to this conclusion.

If you say they are from Quebec, then I'll give you a pass on that one :)

Can you please elaborate on how your Canadian in-laws are "xenophobic"? I'm really curious to know how you came to this conclusion.

If you say they are from Quebec, then I'll give you a pass on that one :)

Sure, first let me say, I don't think they represent all of Canada. I'm not the type to seek out idiots in another country just so I can condemn the country...I think Canada is a great country. Secondly, I'm curious as to why you're so curious about me happening to have xenophobic in-laws and friends through my brother's wife...xenophobes are everywhere ?

Sure, first let me say, I don't think they represent all of Canada. I'm not the type to seek out idiots in another country just so I can condemn the country...I think Canada is a great country. Secondly, I'm curious as to why you're so curious about me happening to have xenophobic in-laws and friends through my brother's wife...xenophobes are everywhere ?

Since you did bring it up voluntarily and it appeared that it was something that stuck in your craw about Canada, naturally I was curious to know your experience.

Since you did bring it up voluntarily and it appeared that it was something that stuck in your craw about Canada, naturally I was curious to know your experience.

No, probably just words and the smiley not translating the flippant nature of my remark well enough...it was about them specifically...we have the same mix of people and opinions here...they have just been relentless lately so was on my mind :) oh, and btw they are your neighbours, albertans...

Edited by fish.01

No, probably just words and the smiley not translating the flippant nature of my remark well enough...it was about them specifically...we have the same mix of people and opinions here...they have just been relentless lately so was on my mind :) oh, and btw they are your neighbours, albertans...

No worries. People like that do exist all over. Unfortunately, far too many Albertans are redneck hillbillies. I lived in that province for 12 years. I lost my job there a few years ago and had to leave, but I was all too happy to start anew back home. Right now Alberta is in deep doodoo. They are prodominently and oil and gas economy. Because of the falling value of that resource their once robust economy is sinking and tens of thousands of people have lost their jobs and will likely continue to do so for the next few years. Many of them are transient oil patch workers from the east coast, lots of whom didn't save any money for hard times are now belly up financially after having spent all their money on toys and booze. The situation is pretty much identical to Western Australia's mining boom.

I'm not sure why you are assuming that I'm only coming for the warmer weather??? Just because I'm from a northern climate, perhaps???? That is only a small reason why I'm looking elsewhere. I've already alluded to a few reasons why I'm looking for a change of scenery outside of Canada, and the weather is only a small part of the big picture :)

Well besides the weather and beaches I'm not sure just how different the experience will be from the reasons you have alluded to. But still will be a change. Not to the extent of Europe though both being new world countries.

Yes I am sure. Canada in the 60's under the present PM's father was the first nation in the world to mention a multi cultural society as a policy. Australia was some behind. The late 60's being only the time the White Australia policy ceased. It took a few more decades before that policy became evident. Canada was well on the road by that time.

Red necks in all societies. Canada more tolerant, I'd suggest than most.

Yes, though it was obviously heavily discussed in Australia in the 60's as well in preparation for the changes occurring. And the multicultural policies were implemented one year after Canada's in the early 70's.

Edited by fish.01

Yes, though it was obviously heavily discussed in Australia in the 60's as well in preparation for the changes occurring. And the multicultural policies were implemented one year after Canada's in the early 70's.

Well they may have been implemented, but Australia was far behind a multi cultural intake of migrants until decades later. It was the Indo Chinese refugee intake declared in 77 that was the true beginning of the change.