Help

Robertson

Hi

looking for some advice?

Me, my husband and little boy who is 3 years old are hoping to move over to Australia, initially for 12 months to make sure that this is what we want to do. If we like it then we will sell our house in Scotland and move over permanently.

What is the best visa to apply for? My husband is a Bricklayer to trade and I work in Business Development. I would like a visa that allows my little boy to attend state nursery.

We are looking to rent in Melbourne but not directly in the city, does anyone have advice on what subarb is good for a family?

Thank you very much

Robyn

I'd Be Very Careful.I think it might be best for your husband to come out here and check things out on the ground. I've recently been talking with 3 Geordie blokes,That are Bricklayers and Couldn't get a job in Brisbane.They have spent their saving,as rents,cost of living etc here in a decent place are very expensive,more so in Melbourne.They were telling me that they had to go on a course,as their UK papers as a Bricklayer.Wasn't up to Australian Standards.Apparantly they had been given the OK in The UK before they Left they would be fine.It's happening with other Trades.My Neighbor's son has just come out last month,and has to do a course. It cost him Thousands in the UK for them To Interview him in the UK to make sure he was Qualified..He worked in the UK on the Railways as a Electrian.

I realise it is not the same but only minutes ago spoke with an Aussie stone mason, as need work done front and back of house. He is flat out, as was the former one I was using, but he got overwhelmed with work and kept deferring for higher paid contracts.

This is for now pretty much the go within this industry. I have been in contact with a few to date. Now with the housing ongoing decline, expecting to accelerate next year, just how long the demand will continue, few can say. But that certainly appears to be the situation at the moment.

What is the best visa to apply for? My husband is a Bricklayer to trade and I work in Business Development. I would like a visa that allows my little boy to attend state nursery.

You should have a look through this to see whether you and/or your husband's occupations are on these lists.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work

Every state is different for education but I don't believe there is an equivalent to "state nursery" anywhere in Australia. I believe in Victoria there is the option of part time kindergarten for one or two years before the compulsory school starting year (the child must be 5 before 30 April in the year in which they start school).

Archived