Moving to Spain

HappyHammer

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy on the newbie until I settle in.:smile:

I am originally from the UK and have lived in Oz for 20 years. I am looking to move to Spain with my wife (Australian) and my two kids who are 13 and 14.

I would appreciate any advice or information from anyone out there that has made the move from Australia to Spain.

HH.

Hello and welcome.

Firstly, whereabouts in Spain? Secondly, do your kids speak the language fluently to go into the Spanish education system or are you looking at an international school (which will be English speaking)? Also, do you speak the language?

Depending on that, job prospects etc I'd narrow down your preferred areas and research, possibly seeing if there are ex pat groups set up in those areas.

I met an early retired couple( former UK) that had moved from Mandurah WA to Spain, when on a ship Fremantle to Portsmouth in 2010. They seemed quite happy with their choice, but neither had concerns with working or young kids. They were in the process of learning the language.

If going there and need to work though you must be aware of the very high unemployment rates and exactly what you would do there. There are web sites and forums that will connect you directly with the reality to life in Spain.

I had an Australian friend that moved to Madrid from London. He spoke Spanish well though and had the dream to set up a language school. Several years later life took him to Thailand where as far as I know he remains. It all got to hard.

Hello and welcome.

Firstly, whereabouts in Spain? Secondly, do your kids speak the language fluently to go into the Spanish education system or are you looking at an international school (which will be English speaking)? Also, do you speak the language?

Depending on that, job prospects etc I'd narrow down your preferred areas and research, possibly seeing if there are ex pat groups set up in those areas.

My wife speaks Spanish and the kids and I are in lessons although it's early days for us. Currently our area of interest is very broad from Seville to Valencia. We are travelling to Spain in March for 5 weeks on a recce with a view to moving in August.

HH.

I met an early retired couple( former UK) that had moved from Mandurah WA to Spain, when on a ship Fremantle to Portsmouth in 2010. They seemed quite happy with their choice, but neither had concerns with working or young kids. They were in the process of learning the language.

If going there and need to work though you must be aware of the very high unemployment rates and exactly what you would do there. There are web sites and forums that will connect you directly with the reality to life in Spain.

I had an Australian friend that moved to Madrid from London. He spoke Spanish well though and had the dream to set up a language school. Several years later life took him to Thailand where as far as I know he remains. It all got to hard.

Thanks for your reply, we are planning to be in Spain for at least 5 years until the kids finish school, from there who knows. My wife is considering teaching English and I am flexible, I have worked in the corporate world for 30 years but my Spanish is probably not good enough at the moment so considering starting small business, doesn't have to make me a millionaire just needs to pay for food.

My major concern at the moment is the kids education, they are both going well in school here but are keen to make the move.

HH.

Thanks for your reply, we are planning to be in Spain for at least 5 years until the kids finish school, from there who knows. My wife is considering teaching English and I am flexible, I have worked in the corporate world for 30 years but my Spanish is probably not good enough at the moment so considering starting small business, doesn't have to make me a millionaire just needs to pay for food.

My major concern at the moment is the kids education, they are both going well in school here but are keen to make the move.

HH.

I'd seriously consider an international school for them. Its a late age to be learning Spanish to try to then revise and sit exams within a year or two of arriving. It can possibly be done but its a lot to ask of them on top of actually getting to grips with Spanish schooling, the social aspect etc. Most kids moving at that age, unless fully fluent in the language already (ie having grown up speaking it at home as a second language) are better to carry on their education in their native language where possible. It would most likely be either following the American cirriuculum or if you can find one a British school following the UK format.

There is a British school in Valencia http://www.bsvalencia.com/en/

I know of kids much younger who moved to a new country and went into the local school system not knowing a word but that was when they were 5 or 6 and they soon picked it up. But even then it took a couple of years before they were fully immersed in it all and you would not know them apart from the kids grown up speaking it.

Its even things like regional dialects, or local words, they will vary as they do across the UK (and to a degree Aus).

I'd seriously consider an international school for them. Its a late age to be learning Spanish to try to then revise and sit exams within a year or two of arriving. It can possibly be done but its a lot to ask of them on top of actually getting to grips with Spanish schooling, the social aspect etc. Most kids moving at that age, unless fully fluent in the language already (ie having grown up speaking it at home as a second language) are better to carry on their education in their native language where possible. It would most likely be either following the American cirriuculum or if you can find one a British school following the UK format.

Thanks for the link I'll add it to our list :)

We are definitely sending the kids to an international school so that will be a major factor in our decision on location, their education has to come first. Whilst we are compiling a list any recommendations / personal experiences with international schools in southern spain would be appreciated.

HH.

Thanks for the link I'll add it to our list :)

We are definitely sending the kids to an international school so that will be a major factor in our decision on location, their education has to come first. Whilst we are compiling a list any recommendations / personal experiences with international schools in southern spain would be appreciated.

HH.

You probably need to find somewhere online for ex pats in that area of Spain and research from there. Its not like many here will have any knowledge of what you are asking specfic to migrating to Spain or that area of it.

Or check out any British School over there. The standard and quality of the schools may vary, really comes down to staff and students. They follow the British curriculum, as to the standard, one or two that I have experience with (this is going back a few years now) I likend to a good state school in England. Just you pay for that obviously as you are overseas. If living within Europe (and no plans to move to the US) its possibly a better option to go UK schooling over US international schools.

Also consider the uni aspect following on from school should your kids wish to go on to uni.

I think your biggest issue will be work. The situation in Spain isn't great atm and school fees are not cheap. I'd be more concerned with the employment side first and foremost as schools can be registered for once there and settled into.

If your wife is to teach in the education system she will need a degree. I have a friend who lives in Spain her family live in Aus and she was born in Aus and did not speak a word of spanish until she went ot live there. She learned the language and taught English then the Spanish system changed and she came back to Aus to do a degree so that she could continue teaching over there. She still lives over there and of course she has extended family there as well. So you really do need to do your homework. My friends family are Spanish and migrated here.

Thanks Petals, we were thinking of something less formal than teaching in the school system, more like informal lessons for adults and children outside of school.

I looked into this because we considered moving to Spain or Italy. While it can be done, it's very badly paid in Spain. As you know, there are loads of Brits moving to Spain all the time, and for many, teaching English is the first money-making idea that springs to mind. So competition is fierce and people are offering personal tuition for peanuts. The language schools demand a qualification, but even they are spoilt for applicants and expect long hours for low pay.

So, it could be a good pin-money option but it's not good enough to be relied on as a proper wage.

The good thing is that if you're moving from Sydney, you'll find the house prices are dramatically cheaper. So you should have a comfortable cushion from your home sale. Living costs are noticeably cheaper as well so you won't need as much income.

I have just joined a forum for British expats in France, there is a similar one for expats in Spain, you probably would find more people to help there.

On the France forum there was a British citizen moving from Australia to France and there was a lot of discussion about entitlement to healthcare as a UK citizen who is moving from Australia so not a UK resident that one might even be useful to you as I would think the rules in Spain would be the same as France.

I'm not thinking of moving to France permanently at the moment - looking at a holiday home for now and a potential retirement plan but hoping that the people on that forum are as forthright as on here and I can get a warts and all view of life there!

I have just joined a forum for British expats in France, there is a similar one for expats in Spain, you probably would find more people to help there.

On the France forum there was a British citizen moving from Australia to France and there was a lot of discussion about entitlement to healthcare as a UK citizen who is moving from Australia so not a UK resident that one might even be useful to you as I would think the rules in Spain would be the same as France.

I'm not thinking of moving to France permanently at the moment - looking at a holiday home for now and a potential retirement plan but hoping that the people on that forum are as forthright as on here and I can get a warts and all view of life there!

That's interesting, I wonder exactly how it is worded as far as reciprocal health care goes ? Is it available to residents or citizens of EU countries ?

That's interesting, I wonder exactly how it is worded as far as reciprocal health care goes ? Is it available to residents or citizens of EU countries ?

That was the gist of the question, tbh irrelevant to me so didn't read much further.

An awful lot I didn't understand, probably how I felt when I joined this forum years ago! Learnt something useful already tho' the purchaser not the vendor pays the estate agent & it could be £20k on what we are looking to buy, so it could be further away than we were hoping!

That was the gist of the question, tbh irrelevant to me so didn't read much further.

An awful lot I didn't understand, probably how I felt when I joined this forum years ago! Learnt something useful already tho' the purchaser not the vendor pays the estate agent & it could be £20k on what we are looking to buy, so it could be further away than we were hoping!

20k estate agents fee, WTF. That's some crazy rules they have in France. :)

Hi All............I moved from Sydney to Andalucía so if I can help anyone with anything please just ask...........I don't know it all but I have certainly learnt a lot:wink:

Whereabouts in Andalucia? We've moved to the UK for various reasons but are not settling. I think moving to either Spain or Italy would be our ideal solution - still within reach of family but not in the UK - but my oh is very worried about the language barrier. We've thought about moving to an area with a big British community but a lot of them sound like Blackpool on the Med, not our kind of thing at all.

My daughter's friend moved to Javea with her family when she was 12 and went to http://en.laudeladyelizabeth.com.

She seemed to do well from there and is now back in the UK studying for A levels at college. She picked up Spanish easily once she was immersed in it.

I'm sure you've seen this website, but just in case... http://www.gsgi.co.uk/countries/spain

My mil moved to Denia over 10 years ago and is now in a residential home out there having a fabulous time. There is a big expat community there, not just Brits, but Germans and Dutch. We go to visit often and while I wouldn't want to live in Denia itself, I'd be happy to live in some of the surrounding villages and I'd be very happy in Valencia! We're looking at possibly buying somewhere there too.

Our children always had expat children to play with in and around Denia when we visited when they were younger, so it's not only older people who move to the area.

Whereabouts in Andalucia? We've moved to the UK for various reasons but are not settling. I think moving to either Spain or Italy would be our ideal solution - still within reach of family but not in the UK - but my oh is very worried about the language barrier. We've thought about moving to an area with a big British community but a lot of them sound like Blackpool on the Med, not our kind of thing at all.

Oh Dear.............better not tell you where I originally come from then?

Oooopsie :)

You can move to Spain and immerse yourself in the Spanish lifestyle without even touching the "Northern UK" on the coastal areas

It truly depends on what you want from your relocation...............learning the language IMO is a must whether it be coastal OR inland.......we are after all in a "host" country of your choice so why not?

I live on the border of Granada/Malaga.............40 mins from the coast and 20 mins from the Sierra Nevada.........Sunbaking and Skiing all in one day :wink:

My daughter's friend moved to Javea with her family when she was 12 and went to http://en.laudeladyelizabeth.com.

She seemed to do well from there and is now back in the UK studying for A levels at college. She picked up Spanish easily once she was immersed in it.

I'm sure you've seen this website, but just in case... http://www.gsgi.co.uk/countries/spain

My mil moved to Denia over 10 years ago and is now in a residential home out there having a fabulous time. There is a big expat community there, not just Brits, but Germans and Dutch. We go to visit often and while I wouldn't want to live in Denia itself, I'd be happy to live in some of the surrounding villages and I'd be very happy in Valencia! We're looking at possibly buying somewhere there too.

Our children always had expat children to play with in and around Denia when we visited when they were younger, so it's not only older people who move to the area.

Hola Caramac.............my Norwich buddy!

Hope you are well?

Thanks for your reply and the links very helpful. Also interesting you mention Denia I was looking at houses in the hills overlooking Denia yesterday and it looked like a nice area although on first impression wouldn't want to be in the hustle and bustle of Denia, only issue is it's an hour from the international schools in Valencia.

HH.

Thanks for your reply and the links very helpful. Also interesting you mention Denia I was looking at houses in the hills overlooking Denia yesterday and it looked like a nice area although on first impression wouldn't want to be in the hustle and bustle of Denia, only issue is it's an hour from the international schools in Valencia.

HH.

No problem. It is quite a drive from Denia to Valencia! I think I'd probably choose the school first, then the area you want to live if it doesn't matter for you work wise. There are lots of lovely towns and villages around.

Denia suited my mil because she was in her 70s when she moved there and she wanted easy access to shops, restaurants and beaches, as well as the expat community. Your needs are different - I'm sure you'll get a good feeling for somewhere when you go for you recce.

Good luck!

Archived