Residents return visa??

JAC204

My parents and sister are moving to Brisbane June/July 2016. I am remaining in the UK to finish my degree and our original permenant residency visas run out on September 2nd 2016. I will graduate from my degree in July 2017 and all I want is for my family to be there but I'm confused how that will be possible. There is a residency return visa I've heard about but then my mum says "the hardest bit of moving is that we won't be able to leave for 2 years" so they won't be able to come to my graduation because they'll have only been there a year.

I'm quite confused so if anyone could explain residency return visas to me that would be great. Can they come to my graduation?

There is a residency return visa I've heard about but then my mum says "the hardest bit of moving is that we won't be able to leave for 2 years" so they won't be able to come to my graduation because they'll have only been there a year.

Your mum is a bit out of date. When I emigrated to Australia, there was a rule that you couldn't leave in the first two years without applying for a special visa.

That's no longer the case, and there's absolutely nothing to stop them coming back for a few weeks for your graduation during their first two years in Oz.

If they are living in Australia ie house, job, bank accounts, enrolled at school etc they will be able to get a RRV to come back for your graduation in 2017 especially after being back in Australia for 1 year. They may not get a 5 year RRV which requires 2 years in last 5 but will likely be eligible for the 1 year RRV but will need to provide documentation that they have ties to Australia, the fact they would only be coming for a holiday there shouldn't be any issue. RRV are a lot easier to get onshore than offshore. As you are part of the family unit you would likely also be issued a RRV if you decide to return after you graduate as you will have valid reason for your absence from Australia with studying. Which might be advisable to do as if you leave it too long you may not be eligible in the future and Would need to be eligible for a skills visa on your own merits.

Archived