Quick bit of advice please....

Nadz128

Hello PIO people,

myself, my wife and our two boys are migrating to Australia next Wednesday from the uk...

i went through the whole 189 visa over the last 14 months....

I was just wondering, for tax purposes, do I need to apply for a tax number myself???

or is there anything stated in the visa document from Australian government where it's been set up for me and individually my wife and kids, on there visa documentation???...

any advice will be great....

kind regards...

Yes, you need to apply yourself through the ATO website once you are in Australia. You will need an address in Australia as you receive your TFN by post. I think mine took a couple of weeks.

Spot on buddy. Thank you for the time to reply so quickly, I will keep that in mind, I know where I will be staying, because we are going to live with my sister, do you think it would be wise to apply now, and give my sisters address, so it arrives, around the time we arrive???,,...

Spot on buddy. Thank you for the time to reply so quickly, I will keep that in mind, I know where I will be staying, because we are going to live with my sister, do you think it would be wise to apply now, and give my sisters address, so it arrives, around the time we arrive???,,...

I am not sure that you can do that as I think that they link in with Immi and then will know that you are not in the country. There is a separate paper application for non-residents applying for a TFN but that is not what you want. You don't need a TFN from day 1.

You have to be here before you can apply.

Agree. You need to be in Aus before you can apply for a TFN.

Its a very simple process. Just have your list of things to get sorted once you arrive and add it to that :)

We applied for ours online the day after we arrived and gave my hubby's work address as a postal address.

Remember to get your passports stamped on arrival at the airport. Banks and Medicare look for it. We didn't because we had the electronic passports and they questioned us a bit.

You will all need to go to the Medicare place to sign up for Medicare too, they have to check your passports & visas and see you in person to verify your identity. I tried to go for all of us and had to go back all together.