Plastering requirements

McCauleyclan

Hi Guys

We are planning on moving to Oz. Hubby is about to do his NVQ level 2 in plastering and by the time we get there he will hopefully have a year or 2 experience under his belt. Would this be enough to apply for the visa? (perm res) Basically we just want to know what the quickest route will be.

Any advice greatly appreciated :yes:

Emma & Andy

Hi Emma, you may need 3 years minimum, my hubby's a plumber and needed 3 years post qualification experience,however points wise he actually needed 5 years to get us the 60 points for a 189 PR visa and you have to be careful about how you calculate your points, we waited until recently to ensure he definitely would be classed as having 5 years and not any less, NVQs and apprenticeships weren't allowed to be counted in his years experience unfortunately.

Best bet is to make good friends with the border.gov.au website and read read read, you'll find out who does the plastering skills assessments and can then enquire with them as to what they need to as a minimum for a successful skills assessment outcome. Additionally look at the points test, being British in regards to english competency doesn't give us any points for instance, Adam may need to do an IELTS (or similar) test to bump up his points, my hubby had to.

Good Luck!

Hi and welcome.

The advice above is pretty good.

You our need to look up what is required to pass the skills assessment for his occupation. Normally it will require 2-3 years post qualifacation experience.

Also, don't count chickens yet. The skills lists are reviewed regularly and occupations are added and removed each time.

Hi and welcome.

The advice above is pretty good.

You our need to look up what is required to pass the skills assessment for his occupation. Normally it will require 2-3 years post qualifacation experience.

Also, don't count chickens yet. The skills lists are reviewed regularly and occupations are added and removed each time.

You're right VeryStormy, the fact the lists can change is a big consideration, we were lucky that one of us already had a skill that was on the list when we looked into a potential move, that was back in 2010/2011 though so we are fortunate that Plumbers have remained on there.

• 3 weeks later...

nope not yet. anymore info we get will post here for you. could you update us too on any info you receive please? we are right at the beginning of the process. Hubby is still training so it will be about another 2 years before we can go with his training and then experience on top. fingers crossed its still on the list by then! Good luck :)

Hey mate I came as a plasterer . Let me know if you need anything, my advice to you is , learn solid wall plastering well , here in perth they stick on 80 meters a day, not for the faint hearted. No skimming over plasterboard, good luck pal

• 3 weeks later...

Archived