Diabetes and PR

deerstalker36

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I've searched the forum for threads on this with none really answering my queries.

Me and the mrs moved out here last year on a 457 working in WA. I was initially looking at the TRTS to move to permanent residency but I don't qualify under the clause that says I have to earn over the Fair Work High Income Threshold (i'm only just below it, but as it increases each july by a fairly substantial amount the company wont lock themselves into a pay rise each year)

so the option that I have left is the 186 direct entry scheme. This should be no issue except - both me and the better half have type 2 diabetes, well controlled with no complications arising from it. The migration agent that i'm tied into using (the company have an exclusive contract with them so if I want to claim expenses I have to use them) have already stated about the MOH's decision and the significant cost element so in an email from them quoting this they put....

Unlike the Temporary Resident Transition stream, it is not possible for a case officer to waive this requirement. This means, if Colin and/or his wife are found to not meet the health criteria they are not eligible for grant of the visa.

'Significant cost'

Although it is unlikely prejudice to access would be an issue, I am concerned Colin's medical condition will be assessed as resulting in a significant cost to the Australian community.

The financial threshold for the level of costs regarded as ‘significant’ is currently set at AUD 40 000 under Immigration policy which notes that the calculation of this figure incorporates data on health and welfare service costs per capita rounded to the nearest AUD 5000 in favour of the applicant.

When there is a health concern or risk, a case officer is required to seek and accept the opinion of a Medical Officer of a Commonwealth (MOC). The reason I have raised this as an issue in my assessment is due to the MOC Guidance Notes indicating that the average annual cost per patient attributable to type 2 Diabetes is AUD 11,499.00. For permanent visa applicants, the time period for estimated costs is calculated for at least a 5 year period and up to a lifetime. Accordingly, using a conservative calculation of 5 years, the costing will, on the balance of probabilities, exceed AUD 40,000.00 and on this basis Colin will not meet the health criteria. Please note, it is possible the MOC will not reach this same conclusion, but unfortunately we will not find this out until after the application has been lodged and the case officer refers the medical results to the MOC for clearance.

This doesn't instil me with confidence about the migration agent as they appear to have already written us off and i'm just wondering if anyone here has any advice or has gone through a similar process?

we don't want to go back to the UK, we're both settled and love it here yet this is making me fear the worst

t.i.a.

Colin

Edited by deerstalker36

I have type 1 diabetes - applied for 189 this year - was not an issue at all. I brought a letter from my endo to the medical assessment stating that diabetes is well controlled, my latest HBA1C details, and suggesting that I haven't developed any complications - this is basically it. Suggest speaking to another migration agent anyway.

I've seen plenty of people with type 2 diabetes migrate here. The potential gain from claiming expenses by using an agent that works for the company will seem insignificant compared to putting up with potential delays by not doing things right.

Deffo consult a good agent. wrussell who posted above regularly contributes here.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers to everyone's advice on this. I've decided to go with the company's MA and they've suggested a freedom of information request as well as getting a letter regarding our condition from our local doctor as well before the medical. The only concern I have now is the doc has recently changed my meds. I had to have a HBa1c for a dive medical and it came back as slightly elevated. The new meds have bought my blood glucose back down to normal levels so hopefully it wont be an issue.

And looking at doing it ourselves was a no go as soon as I started going through the forms :twitcy:

• 2 years later...