Moving to OZ.. VISA help!!

Katiefletcher

Hi I am new to he group! Me my Husband and 2 year old son are looking at moving to Australia in around a years time and I am just wondering if anyone can give us some help and advice on what kind of visas we would need and anything else essential . We are just looking at coming for 6 months for now to see how we get on with a new life. We are new to this and don't really know where to start.

Thanks x

Hi thanks for your reply. My husband is a self employed Painter and decorater he has done this for 5 years, I have a level 3 diploma in childcare & education although since I qualified I haven't worked within that area due to job oppertunities then having a baby but I am currently doing voluntary work at our local primary school. I am 23 and my Husband is 25. His friend and girlfriend came to Oz last April and that inspired us to look into it more.

thanks x

If your friends didn't have children then they possibly had a working holiday visa but you cannot apply for one of those with a dependent.

The first thing to do is to find out is either of your skills are on the SOL - if so you can apply for skilled migration and the next step is to see whether wither of you meet the criteria for the skills assessment.

If your skills are not on the SOL, then look at the CSOL - they probably will be on there but you would require a sponsor - for a permanent visa look at the 'state sponsored skills' lists.

If your skill are not sponsored by a state, or you don't want to live in that state then you can consider employer sponsorship - that will only give you a 457 visa which is valid for four years, some employers will then sponsor you permanently but it is risky and if you were to lose your job then you have 90 days to get another sponsor or return home.

There are maybe some other routes, there is a regional sponsored visa which becomes permanent if you live and work in the specified area. I would suggest having an initial consultation with a migration agent who can advise you on the best route for you.

Best to speak to a registered migration agent to see if your partner would qualify for a skills visa, but there is no visas available for you to live and work in Australia for 6 months with a dependent child. You would be looking at permanent visas which application fees and other costs are quite high £6-7k.

Did your partner do an appreniticship or does he have trade qualifications? He might not have enough work experience to pass the skills assessment, this is why it would be best to speak to a registered migration agent.

Hiya Katie!

Welcome to PIO!

I just started a thread actually as we just moved and I outlined all our costs and who we went with etc etc.

If you search "So you wanna move to OZ?" You should find it.

I can't recommend Immigration2Oz enough! Google "down under centre" in london, its like a big ex-po and you get to meet them there and ask any questions and John (the main guy) does a presentation and sweats a lot.... :P

We got our visas and stuff sorted in 7 months.....came out with $30,000....about £15,000 and that sorted us a house with 4 months rent, 2 cars, furnished the house and filled the fridge with beer!! :D

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply really appreciate it. We've looked into it abit more and looked on the SOL list and the CSOL and we are now in 2 minds on what to do. I am 23 and my husband is 25, non of us have had many years in 1 specific job, I have been to college and had a baby within the last 5 years so have hardly worked and I'm currently just doing voluntary work. My husband is a painter & decorator by trade but is currently working for my dad doing roofing. We are unsure on whether we should continue the process or leave it for a few more years [emoji53][emoji17] x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you google Immigration2Oz, give them a ring and you can chat over with them and ask your questions about the qualifications.

Just please be aware if you DO decide to do it on a 457 visa, if you or your hubby doesn't stay in work, you get sent home. Which is dangerous if you have a small baby!

My husbands a chippy. After he got qualified, he only had 3 years experience and it was enough to get 60 points. So if you hubby stays and gets qualified, I know the NT are looking for trades all the time! At least then, he'll have experience AND qualifications. Plus my husbands a lot older so you have age on your side! :D

But deffo phone them up and have a chat. Asking questions is a good start to a long journey to Oz! :D

We've looked into it abit more and looked on the SOL list and the CSOL and we are now in 2 minds on what to do. I am 23 and my husband is 25, non of us have had many years in 1 specific job, I have been to college and had a baby within the last 5 years so have hardly worked and I'm currently just doing voluntary work. My husband is a painter & decorator by trade but is currently working for my dad doing roofing. We are unsure on whether we should continue the process or leave it for a few more years [emoji53][emoji17] x

It sounds like you are looking to Oz as a place with better opportunities for both of you? If so, I'd definitely advise leaving it for a few more years. There were great opportunities for tradies in Australia at one time because of the mines - so many tradies went into mining because of the big salaries, leaving a shortage of tradesmen in the cities. The mining boom is winding down now and workers are being laid off, so tradesmen are coming back to their home cities and starting up their businesses/looking for work again. It varies across the country but some are finding the competition is tough. I would definitely wait until things have settled down a bit. It sounds like one of you needs to get some more qualifications and/or experience under your belt before you'd be considered anyway.

Also, migration can be very expensive, so you may need to save up before you can do it anyway. It might be better to consider moving to another part of the UK for a while if there is somewhere where job prospects would be better?

Yeah we definitely see it as a better place for oppertunities for us a family but I agree think we may need a few more years behind us. We have the funds to do the move no problem but it's just getting the visa etc, and I don't want to get there and then decide we want to come home after so many months. I think it will be a future dream for us and we will probably continue this within the next few years x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived