Gas Engineer work in Australia

Deangas

Hi, my partner and I have plans to move to Australia in a years time.

Can anyone give any advice on finding gas engineering work? Is there colder states that need gas engineers more we were thinking Melbourne? My partner has all his qualifications and over ten years experience he is 27.

Are there any agencies / companies willing to take engineers on by seeing the qualifications before you fly over? And what is the best visa to apply for skilled migrant, working visa?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated very excited for the move but I know we have alot of organising to do first!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Pretty much all of Australia has gas - even in the hottest parts we like to cook and have a shower :)

Before you think about anything else though you need to concentrate on visas. If you want to make the move permanently, then you would need to look at a permanent residence visa. This is your starting point https://www.border.gov.au/

it is a long slow and expensive process to gain a permanent visa and there are multiple steps.

The first thing you need to do is a lot of reading on the above website.

Then check the two occupation lists known as the SOL and CSOL to see if your partners occupation is on one of them. I "think" it is on the SOL, which would be good news as that opens up the better visas such as a 189.

Then, you need to research the skills assessment for that occupation and ensure he can pass it.

Then calculate your points as you need a minimum of 60. Many people find at this stage that they will need extra points and so have to undertake a English test such as ILETS.

Once you are clear you can qualify, you can start the process by getting the skills assessment and, if required, booking ILETS.

Once these are completed, you can lodge an expression of interest for a visa and wait to be invited to apply.

I will add, that with jobs, your partners occupation is a licensed trade here, and once you arrive e will not be qualified to work. He will have to gain a license. This varies by state, but he can probably expect to have to work as a trade assistant for a period - like an apprentice and undertake some college courses

I will add, that with jobs, your partners occupation is a licensed trade here, and once you arrive e will not be qualified to work. He will have to gain a license. This varies by state, but he can probably expect to have to work as a trade assistant for a period - like an apprentice and undertake some college courses

Hiya verystormey, sorry not had chance to reply over the weekend thanks for the info.

I have done a couple points calculators and looks like we will have enough points for the skilled trade visa really happy about that but I'm wondering will myself and my one year old son be able to get a visa Aswel if we do a joint visa application? How does it work with our son? I've looked and we do not get any extra points for my occupation it is not classed as a skilled trade but we still have the points on my partners trade and work experience and willing to do the English test for extra posts of needed do you have to pay the this test? sorry I know alot of questions.

We also have family in Melbourne who will sponsor us which helps with our points.

I think our biggest hurdle will be getting my partners skills recognised. He has all the correct up to date qualifications here do we send that off with the visa application and then get his licence once there or do we need to do this before we move?

Thanks again for taking the time to help

I've just read over your post again and you have already answered my last question, we plan to contact a few gas heating companies before we come over bit of a long shot but worth a try to see if he can start off that way. I need to look into this a bit more if I'm honest I'm.not sure which is the best way to go about getting his licence there maybe a company will take him on as a trade assistant like you and he can prove himself etc and get his licence that way!

Only your husband needs to qualify - you and your son are put as dependents on his application. Once visas are granted, they are then granted to each individually. You don't need to be qualified in anything. Just your husband.

The English test costs a few hundred pounds I believe - a drop in the ocean over the process.

The skills recognition needs to be done via the correct assessing authority. It will take some time to get everything together as he will need both qualifications and proof of working in his occupation.

I am a big fan of using migration agents for the process and would recommend you consider it. The process is easy to make an error in and can be a very expensive error - for example, if you over claim a single point by mistake, you may be rejected for the visa and lose the fee - a fair few thousand! One of the most highly regarded agents is Go Matilda. There can probably also advise on the licensing requirements for Victoria.

Only your husband needs to qualify - you and your son are put as dependents on his application. Once visas are granted, they are then granted to each individually. You don't need to be qualified in anything. Just your husband.

The English test costs a few hundred pounds I believe - a drop in the ocean over the process.

The skills recognition needs to be done via the correct assessing authority. It will take some time to get everything together as he will need both qualifications and proof of working in his occupation.

I am a big fan of using migration agents for the process and would recommend you consider it. The process is easy to make an error in and can be a very expensive error - for example, if you over claim a single point by mistake, you may be rejected for the visa and lose the fee - a fair few thousand! One of the most highly regarded agents is Go Matilda. There can probably also advise on the licensing requirements for Victoria.

I have just enquired to go matilda, if they can guide us through the visa application and getting the gas/plumbing qualifications recognised I think we will use them. My friend who moved to Austria herself on the skilled worker visa just told me that it cost her £4000 to get her visa wow!! I was hoping that the visa application would be about €2000 I am starting to see that ours is going to be expensive especially with getting gas qualifications recognised. It hasn't put me off though!

I keep reading different information on gas fitters in Melbourne, I've read that Victoria the state sponsor plumbers/gas fitters does that help? My partner is hoping to do a air conditioning course once we arrive but that will probably be a year or so In.

Another question what kind of fees do immigration agents charge? And is advice and getting qualification and license included? Is that wishful thinking? Thanks again

Yes, this is an expensive process. Agent fees vary a lot depending on the case - some peoples are far more complex than others and some visas are more complex than others. On top of the actual visa fees, you have medicals and police checks and skills assessment. However, I know that Go Matilda will do a free assessment for you and then advise you of the costs. I will let them tell you about licensing.

State sponsorship is mainly there for two reasons. First, if an occupation is only on the CSOL list, ten it requires either state or business sponsorship (There are two occupation lists called SOL and CSOL). Or, if a person is short of points they can go down the state sponsored route.

I will add on costs, do remember that visa fees, while high, are only a tiny amount of the total costs. On top of the visa, you will need shipping to move all your belongings, then flights, then temporary accommodation, then bond and rent in advance for long term accommodation, then enough money to live on for a minimum of 3 months and ideally 6 months while you find work. There are also a lot of things to buy when you arrive such as a car, mobile phones and things.

Hi, I thought I'd let you know about my journey as I'm a gas engineer. I decided to apply back in January for a skilled independent 189 visa. I went with Go Matilda. We discussed the application process and decided that the easier option would be to apply as a plumber. The gas is very different in Australia. The plumbing Vetasses was simple and the practical tool me around 2 hours to complete! I also did the Ielts test and got around 8.5 which gave me 60 points with my work experience and age. To cut a long story short, we received our grant this morning! So myself my wife and our two daughters are moving out on February the 1st. I would certainly recommend using Go Matilda. They were very helpful and made it as stress free as it can be. Best of luck with it all!

Yes, this is an expensive process. Agent fees vary a lot depending on the case - some peoples are far more complex than others and some visas are more complex than others. On top of the actual visa fees, you have medicals and police checks and skills assessment. However, I know that Go Matilda will do a free assessment for you and then advise you of the costs. I will let them tell you about licensing.

State sponsorship is mainly there for two reasons. First, if an occupation is only on the CSOL list, ten it requires either state or business sponsorship (There are two occupation lists called SOL and CSOL). Or, if a person is short of points they can go down the state sponsored route.

I will add on costs, do remember that visa fees, while high, are only a tiny amount of the total costs. On top of the visa, you will need shipping to move all your belongings, then flights, then temporary accommodation, then bond and rent in advance for long term accommodation, then enough money to live on for a minimum of 3 months and ideally 6 months while you find work. There are also a lot of things to buy when you arrive such as a car, mobile phones and things.

We are going to do the assessment this week.and get a quote for cost which will be good so we know how much we need to budget in order to have enough money when we get there!

We didn't plan on shipping anything just bringing suitcases and renting a furnished home or part furnished I stil need to look into options our monthly rent here is £625 do you know what that will be in aus dollars?

I know this is changing the subject but do you get alot of spiders on Victoria? Me and my partner have just decided to Google the dif species of spiders and are now worried we aren't the biggest spider fan save to say we are petrified of them!!!

Hi Stu, thanks for the reply and congrats on getting your visa granted.

I've been emailing a agent from go matilda who has explained the different definitions with gas fitters and plumber and Dean comes under plumber although here in England he mainly does gas work crazy!

Have you started looking for work? what's your plan when you get out there are you renting?

We are going to do the assessment this week.and get a quote for cost which will be good so we know how much we need to budget in order to have enough money when we get there!

We didn't plan on shipping anything just bringing suitcases and renting a furnished home or part furnished I stil need to look into options our monthly rent here is £625 do you know what that will be in aus dollars?

I know this is changing the subject but do you get alot of spiders on Victoria? Me and my partner have just decided to Google the dif species of spiders and are now worried we aren't the biggest spider fan save to say we are petrified of them!!!

Loads of spiders, snakes, drop bears. Look for a property with screens and get used to just tolerating the odd spider, or spray them with Mortein and sleep in a toxic fug..... In Qld I have learned not to walk amongst the trees at night - the buggers spin their nets and catch you in the dark.....

I don't know Victoria very well, but have lived in Sydney and now WA. From my experience, furnished rentals, other than short term accommodation is very rare. We did something similar to you and only shipped personal effects in boxes. However, it is expensive to repurchase everything again, though there are some bargains to be found. I would research it as to see if it is worth it for you. There is a thing called Movecube which is a small shipping and would allow you to bring some essentials.

Your current rent in dollars at current exchange rate is $1337. However, rents in Australia vary dramatically with location. Have a look at realestate.com.au to get some ideas of prices in the areas you are considering. Remember that in Australia, rent prices are always shown as per week.

Pretty much all of Australia get spiders and snakes. Most are totally harmless and no more an issue than in the UK. Though they can be larger. One of the common spiders for example is the Huntsman which is found across Australia. Looks like a tarantula, however, most people actually like them as they eat other nasty insects such as cockroaches. I really would not worry about them. The only dangerous spider you could come across is the redback. Even then, it is not common. We live semi rural and have only seen 2 in 8 years.

These are 2 fairly common spiders:

http://australianmuseum.net.au/huntsman-spiders

http://australianmuseum.net.au/golden-orb-weaving-spiders

Now, the drop bear, that is another matter entirely!!!!!

I would not live in Victoria because of them!

http://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

I don't know Victoria very well, but have lived in Sydney and now WA. From my experience, furnished rentals, other than short term accommodation is very rare. We did something similar to you and only shipped personal effects in boxes. However, it is expensive to repurchase everything again, though there are some bargains to be found. I would research it as to see if it is worth it for you. There is a thing called Movecube which is a small shipping and would allow you to bring some essentials.

Your current rent in dollars at current exchange rate is $1337. However, rents in Australia vary dramatically with location. Have a look at realestate.com.au to get some ideas of prices in the areas you are considering. Remember that in Australia, rent prices are always shown as per week.

Pretty much all of Australia get spiders and snakes. Most are totally harmless and no more an issue than in the UK. Though they can be larger. One of the common spiders for example is the Huntsman which is found across Australia. Looks like a tarantula, however, most people actually like them as they eat other nasty insects such as cockroaches. I really would not worry about them. The only dangerous spider you could come across is the redback. Even then, it is not common. We live semi rural and have only seen 2 in 8 years.

These are 2 fairly common spiders:

http://australianmuseum.net.au/huntsman-spiders

http://australianmuseum.net.au/golden-orb-weaving-spiders

Now, the drop bear, that is another matter entirely!!!!!

I would not live in Victoria because of them!

http://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

Haha ? you nearly had me with the drop bears I actually went into work and talked about them until someone laughed at me who is from Australia!! I am dreding coming across a huntsman in the house :-(

I've still not completely decided what to do about taking things over. We will most probs take suitcases and then ship a few things. Thinking about renting a furnished place but I'd rather it feel more homey and have furnisher that we have picked so we might take some of ours and buy some new and keep adding to it.

I'm waiting for a good time for me and my partner to get all the info over to go matilda we need to get all his paperwork out to tell them all the correct qualifications he has! It will be done this week as we need to get the ball rolling!

I've contacted esv and they have advised I contact the Victoria building authority about the gas license.