Affordable living near Chatswood?

Rob Oakley

Hi All, I am a new member having "Nearly" secured a 457 visa/Job based in Chatswood, looking at rental prices as the area seems quite expensive. Any suggestions anywhere nearby that is a good area (Schools, Safe etc) that is a bit cheaper, and an easy commute to chatswood?

Also interested how easy it is to get to chatswood from say either Ryde or lane cove etc?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All, I am a new member having "Nearly" secured a 457 visa/Job based in Chatswood, looking at rental prices as the area seems quite expensive. Any suggestions anywhere nearby that is a good area (Schools, Safe etc) that is a bit cheaper, and an easy commute to chatswood?

Also interested how easy it is to get to chatswood from say either Ryde or lane cove etc?

Thanks in advance!

Chatswood is a major transport Hub so there are plenty of trains from all directions. Look at the train timetables and you'll see which lines go to Chatswood.

There are buses from other areas but I would focus on the suburbs along the train lines IMO.

Not sure on the affordability as my friend lives there, its a little further out and has direct trains to Chatswood but how about Epping or maybe Macquarie? Epping is where my friend lives and when I visited it seemed like a lovely area.

Epping and North Ryde are both lovely with decent public transport.

It depends where in Ryde you live.

The train from Chatswood to North Ryde is very quick. For example, the 8.01am train from Chatswood arrives in North Ryde at 8.07

But the 7.47am train from Chatswood arrives in West Ryde at 8.37 - plus you need to change trains in Epping.

The 3.30pm bus from Chatswood train station interchange arrives at Lane Cove interchange at 3.41

The bus uses the designated bus lane; so other traffic volume won't affect it.

These times are exact

Ryde or lane cove etc

Definitely the places to live - somewhere to the WEST of Chatswood on the train line like above, or even somewhere NORTH on the train line like Hornsby.

Avoid EAST say Frenchs Forest like the plague; as not on a train line and so the traffic during rush hour is horrific.

I normally travel before or after rush hour. But yesterday was late leaving work and got caught up in it.

What a nightmare! It took me 1 hour in a car, to get from one side of Chatswood to Frenchs Forest. It was 8km (just under 5 miles)

So if your job is in Chatswood, choose somewhere close by with numerous buses like Lane Cove, or somewhere close by where you can walk from like Roseville, or somewhere on a train line like Ryde or Hornsby.

Hi there, I live in North Ryde and drive the kids to school every day to Artarmon which is right next to Chatswood. I take Epping Road and avoid the tunnel (cost). It takes about 40 minutes on a good traffic day to drive there. Epping Rd has some bottle necks, but generally moves along, just need to allow an extra 10 minutes in case of a traffic jam. You can take the train but I don't have any experience with that. I like living in North Ryde because it is quieter and less crowded than the Artarmon/Chatswood area, but some people might not care for the suburban feel here compared to Chatswood. We needed more space and cheaper rent so North Ryde was a great choice. Plus it is super quick to go to Macquarie mall.

Hi yes I have been there once but won't go back. We go to the ice rink at Baulkham Hills which is much better. Being Canadian, I am rather choosy about where I skate and the Macquarie ice doesn't cut it. The ice is terrible, with ruts and bumps, they just don't take care of it. Plus it is over-priced and very busy there. I can't think of a single good thing to say about Macquarie ice rink so will leave it at that!!

Archived