visas

steve 111

Ok guys help me here, my wife and I are moving back to UK I am a British citizen and my wife is Australian. Is it best to get her Visa here our when we are in UK,she is intending to work the reason I ask is my super does not turn into savings until a month after we get there.

Guest guest112248

If she is looking at a spouse visa she cannot apply from the UK, as far as I am aware it needs to be done in Oz. Further to this you will need a job earning £18600 per year, or have 3 years worth of savings £55k+.

Reading your post suggests the savings route, and I believe the savings need to have been in your bank for 6 months before applying.

Should add what she intends to do (work) is irrelevant. You are the sponsor and the onus is on you to provide the finances required to take her to the UK (ie find a job if that's your plan).

I'll chime in and say thats pretty much correct in the above post.

You can't just arrive in the UK and then apply for a partner visa for her.

Its either the job with X amount in earnings or the savings route.

There is more info on the UK Gov website covering it all.

I should add i am retiring and getting a uk pension not working does that make a difference, and the savings side is not an issue

Well you will need to show evidence of £62.5k in savings if you aren't going to be working. Far easier if she could get an ancestry visa though courtesy of a UK born grandparent. The spouse visa has some unwelcome side effects - like you will BOTH be denied any benefits should you need them and even if you, as a citizen, may be eligible you would be denied them as they could be seen as tax payer funding going to benefit your spouse.

I should add i am retiring and getting a uk pension not working does that make a difference, and the savings side is not an issue

As others have said, you MUST apply in Australia - if she tries to apply in the UK, they'll just make her go back to Australia to apply.

If you've got the money in the bank (see note below), then all she needs to do is apply online. She will then have to make an appointment with the consulate for a biometric interview, and take a printed copy of her application, passport, and evidence of funds, to the interview.

We did it in January and it took about six weeks from interview to approval. You must stay in Australia until the approval comes through, because she will need to go to the consulate and collect her passport.

One thing to note - be sure she fills in Appendix 2, which is an additional form you have to submit in printed form. It's mentioned during the online application process but once you've hit "submit", you don't get reminded about it - and a lot of people forget all about it!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-Appendix2.pdf. You'll notice you have to give a UK address, and they will check up on it - the purpose is to ensure you're not going to be living in an overcrowded house with a load of other immigrants! We used my sister's address and just pre-warned her to say we'd be living in her spare room, (even though we had no intention of doing so).

Note on financial requirement:

You need to have held the money for 12 months and it needs to be "accessible" - so I am not sure superannation would be acceptable, even though you're at an age where you could take the lump sum. I'd say you would need to withdraw the lump sum and put it in the bank before you apply - then provide superannuation statements along with the bank statement to prove you've held the money for the required period.

If the money is from the sale of a property, the 12 months requirement is waived. You do have to provide evidence of having held the property for more than a year (which could be a land registry document, if you don't have it then your mortgage provider will), and then you provide a letter from the solicitor who handled the sale and proof that the money is in an Aussie bank account. So basically, you'd need to complete the sale, put the money in the bank and move into rented accommodation for a few months while she applies.

Very helpful every one but do I need to fill in Appendix2 as I am not settled just returning,I cant seem to find any info on that

Yes you do. I know the wording is confusing but they do treat you (the British citizen) as if you are already settled in the UK, even though you'll both be arriving at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys I do not see a problem but how long before I go can I apply for my wife's visa does it have to be within so many days of going, or intended going

It can be as far in the future as you like. She'll get a stamp in her passport allowing her "multiple entries" for a period of 2 years - so she can arrive at any time during those two years.

At the end of the two years, she'll need to apply all over again for indefinite right to remain.

Can some one tell me what part I will in on the financial form to say I have enough funding in my super fund,yes I have been told I can use this and I thought it would go under pension/benefits but im not sure

Who told you that would be sufficient? Are you already taking a pension from it, or is it still sitting in super?

If you are already taking a pension from it, and that plus your Australian state pension meets the annual income criteria, then put it under pensions/benefits.

If it's the lump sum you are using to satisfy the savings criteria, then you put it under savings, and then you will need to get a statement from the super fund on their letterhead, showing that the money has been in the account for at least twelve months. I would also get a letter confirming that you can access the funds at any time without penalty, since it's not the bank account they would normally want to see.

Have you thought about what you're going to do with your super? If you leave it in the fund and then withdraw your lump sum AFTER you arrive in the UK, it will attract a hefty tax penalty from the UK government - so if you want to take a lump sum, you must cash it in now and put it in the bank, then transfer it to your UK bank when you move.

If you're planning to take it as a pension, then you'll need to declare it as income on your UK tax return and it'll be taxed as income (but of course, you'll get your tax free threshold just like in Australia).

• 5 weeks later...
I have done my wifes visa app problem is she knows what year her mother was born but not the date is this critical

Is there any way she can find out? I don't think it matters - there was some dispute about my oh's mother's DOB and he just put down the one they celebrated. No one questioned it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived