457 skills assessment

Willa88

Hi all, I'm new to this site and would like some advice. Do all 457 visa applicants need a skills assessment? My occupation is Childcare centre manager and thinking if I need a skills assessment for 457 from TRA I might as well just go for the 189 independent visa and not be tied to a company. Any advice appreciated! :jiggy:

I would disagree strongly with the above advice.

A 457 is not a great visa and if an independent skilled visa is available that would be a far better way to go.

Issues with a 457.

It it is temporary.

It is tied to the employer - lose your job and you only have 90!days to find another willing and able to sponsor. Not every company can.

Some states charge temp visa holders for education. For example, WA charge $4k per year per family

partners of 457 holders can have issues finding work

any children of university age are regarded international students - potentially tens of thousands in fees.

Hi,

Childcare Centre Managers do not required a skill assessment for a 457 visa or a 187 Direct Entry visa, but they do for a 186 Direct Entry visa.

If you meet the point score for a 189 or 190 skilled visa, this gives your permanent residency.

Joy

As said above, the 457 has a lot of limitations. It may be a good short-term option to get you into the country and working quickly if you already have an employer lined up, but then I'd seriously look at an independent visa (e.g. 189) to get your PR and widen your longer-term options.

Archived