Moving to Oz in 6 months

Jay Cross

Hi, we are a family of 4, my husband, me and a daughter of 10 and son of 7. We have had our visas for a couple of years, waiting for me to finish a nursing degree. Now all completed we are about to book our flights for April time. We got our visas through state sponsorship as my husband is a mechanics teacher. I will be wanting to know how easy it is for a newly qualified nurse to find work, (I will have 6 months experience by the time I come over), but it is my biggest worry that we find work. Everything else should hopefully fall into place!! We are so excited.

Hi, we are a family of 4, my husband, me and a daughter of 10 and son of 7. We have had our visas for a couple of years, waiting for me to finish a nursing degree. Now all completed we are about to book our flights for April time. We got our visas through state sponsorship as my husband is a mechanics teacher. I will be wanting to know how easy it is for a newly qualified nurse to find work, (I will have 6 months experience by the time I come over), but it is my biggest worry that we find work. Everything else should hopefully fall into place!! We are so excited

We are moving to Victoria in April, myself, husband and 3 year old daughter. Its so exciting isn't it. We are not nurses or teachers but we are hoping to secure work once we are there too.

Good luck

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...
I will be wanting to know how easy it is for a newly qualified nurse to find work, (I will have 6 months experience by the time I come over)

Fairly easy I should think. Many places have a shortage of nurses.

Especially more remote or country areas who seem to be crying out for decent nurses and doctors.

Failing finding work in a hospital there are plenty of nursing homes that need RN's.

Having said that: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-24/thousands-of-nursing-graduates-unable-to-find-work/5475320

Hi, we are a family of 4, my husband, me and a daughter of 10 and son of 7. We have had our visas for a couple of years, waiting for me to finish a nursing degree. Now all completed we are about to book our flights for April time. We got our visas through state sponsorship as my husband is a mechanics teacher. I will be wanting to know how easy it is for a newly qualified nurse to find work, (I will have 6 months experience by the time I come over), but it is my biggest worry that we find work. Everything else should hopefully fall into place!! We are so excited.

So exciting! Congratulations on finishing your nursing course, I'm a nurse too and still remember how long and stressful the course was at times! One thing I would suggest is getting your AHPRA registration sorted soon if you haven't looked into it already, as it can take a few months to come through. The last I heard (and this was a year or 2 ago so may have changed) was that you need a minimum of 3 months qualified experience before you apply. What state are you moving to? We moved to Adelaide when we first emigrated. My husband had 8 months experience as a Mental Health Nurse and he had no problems finding work there. Best of luck! x

We like you have had our visas for 2 years and only now managing to make the move (we sadly waited for our eldest dog to pass away). We are also a family of 4 ( 2 daughters, 10 and 6) and moving to Adelaide. Flights booked today...eeek...all seems quite surreal. I hope it all goes well for you but feel free to share any frustrations along the way. x

Sarah

Just curious, does your oh have to work in a country area? We also came out on state sponsorship many years ago (my oh - now ex-oh! - was a physics teacher). He had to agree to work in a rural school for two years and he didn't get a choice where that was - we were sent out to the back of beyond, which made it difficult for me to find work. Mind you, it was so cheap to live there, we managed fine for a year, until he was able to secure a post in a private school.