Skills Assessment for 457 Sponsorship Visa

Louisej323

Hi,

I wonder if someone can assist me...

I'm wanting to have a current skills assessment for an occupation on the CSOL list so that when I apply for jobs to Australian companies I can show them I already have the equivalent skills, qualifications, experience and paper work in place for sponsorship.

I have identified my occupation so how do I go about putting in an application for the skills assessment?? How much does it cost and how long does it take...does anyone know?

Thanks,

Louisej323

Hi Again,

As an extension to my above post, can some one clarify the correct procedure?

Can you have a skills assessment for migration purposes before finding a employer sponsorship or do you only get the vetassess skills assessment after you have found an employer to sponsor you?

Hope someone can advise, Thanks

I think it depends on the occupation as they don't all need one on a 457 visa (although I might be completely wrong).

My husband is a chef and we are in touch with a recruitment and immigration agency. They have been sending us information on jobs and putting my husband forward for them and haven't mentioned a skills assessment. From that I am assuming he either doesn't need one or it can be done after a job is secured.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong...

Hi,

I wonder if someone can assist me...

I'm wanting to have a current skills assessment for an occupation on the CSOL list so that when I apply for jobs to Australian companies I can show them I already have the equivalent skills, qualifications, experience and paper work in place for sponsorship.

I have identified my occupation so how do I go about putting in an application for the skills assessment?? How much does it cost and how long does it take...does anyone know?

Thanks,

Louisej323

I also doubt very much that a skills assessment is going to help you find a job. Most Australians will never have even heard of skills assessment, it is just us migrants that know all about them!

Anyway if you do want to do on, well you just follow the application process set out by the skills assessing body, which might involve filling in an appplication form for example. There is not one standard cost, skills assessments vary by occupation, some cost a few hundred dollars and some a few thousand. Amd some take a few weeks amd some take a few months.

So does that mean the process would be... find an employer willing to sponsor me, identify the chosen occupation they can sponsor me as, then apply for the visa and if a skills assessment is required apply for it via the assessing authority i.e. vetassess, tra, at that point??

I thought everyone had to have a skills assessment for a visa to prove they can do the job they are applying under, which is why there are assessing authorities next to every occupation on the Sol and CSOL lists??

A skills assessment is unlikely to help you find a job.

As for a skills assessment for the visa, it varies by occupation as to if it will be needed. Also, I believe immi have some discretion to request one for a 457 applicant.

Is it costing you to be in touch with the recruitment agency and them put your husband forward for jobs? Are you applying via a 457 visa in order to be able to emigrate to Australia?

I think it depends on the occupation as they don't all need one on a 457 visa (although I might be completely wrong).

My husband is a chef and we are in touch with a recruitment and immigration agency. They have been sending us information on jobs and putting my husband forward for them and haven't mentioned a skills assessment. From that I am assuming he either doesn't need one or it can be done after a job is secured.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong...

So does that mean the process would be... find an employer willing to sponsor me, identify the chosen occupation they can sponsor me as, then apply for the visa and if a skills assessment is required apply for it via the assessing authority i.e. vetassess, tra, at that point??

I thought everyone had to have a skills assessment for a visa to prove they can do the job they are applying under, which is why there are assessing authorities next to every occupation on the Sol and CSOL lists??

It would be something like that yes. Skills assessments are always required for skilled migration, they are not necessarily required for a 457 visa.

Pretty much.

Though I would say the first step is to identify an occupation on the SOL or CSOL that you fit into, as if your occupation isn't on either, then there is no point in applying for jobs as your occupation must be on one of the lists in order to qualify.

Once you have identified the occupation, you then start looking for jobs for that occupation.

If a skills assessment is going to be required, your case officer will inform you. Most occupations do not require a skills assessment for a 457 visa. Instead, immigration will just want a comprehensive CV and references.

Is it costing you to be in touch with the recruitment agency and them put your husband forward for jobs? Are you applying via a 457 visa in order to be able to emigrate to Australia?

Be aware, you should not treat a 457 as emigrating. You would not be. It is a temporary work visa. While some people go on to gain permanent visas, others don't. There is no obligation for an employer to later sponsor you for permanent and some employers specifically wont. Also, I don't know your age, but after age 50, it becomes much more difficult to gain permanent status even with a willing employer

Hi Louise,

It is not costing us anything to be in touch with the agency and for them to put my husband forward for jobs. Please do not use any agencies that charge you to secure a job.

If they successfully find hubby a job we will pay a fee for their Mara registered immigration services to process the visa, not to secure the job.

We are also applying for jobs we see online and have had some responses so fingers crossed.

As someone else has pointed out it is a temporary visa but we are hoping that we can convince an employer to sponsor for pr. Hubby is 45 so don't have enough points to go straight for pr on an independent visa. Well aware that we could have to return to the UK but we think it is worth it.

We are also hoping on a back up plan of me gaining the qualifications needed to back up my experience to apply for pr if all else fails.

What occupation are you applying under?

Hi again,

I'm applying under 'Film, Radio, TV, Stage Directors 'nec' or possibly 'Media Producer' both occupations are not on the SOL only the CSOL, so I need sponsorship like yourselves. I've been applying for TV jobs directly online at various major TV companies and media groups but not had much luck as yet. Its frustrating. If you don't mind me asking which agency are you in touch? with maybe they could assist me in my line of work?

I am 44 so don't gain much points for that. I also have been told the sponsored temporary visa is not a surefire way to PR, but even if you are sponsored for two years a lot can happen in that time to change the course of you gaining residency so like you I think its worth giving it a try. The fact that you will have worked and lived in Australia for a couple of years can only gain you points on a visa application.

I also thought while I'm working via a sponsorship I could take some further qualifications which would help towards PR.

Where in the UK are you presently based? are you emigrating with children?

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on

Louise.

Hi Louise,

It is not costing us anything to be in touch with the agency and for them to put my husband forward for jobs. Please do not use any agencies that charge you to secure a job.

If they successfully find hubby a job we will pay a fee for their Mara registered immigration services to process the visa, not to secure the job.

We are also applying for jobs we see online and have had some responses so fingers crossed.

As someone else has pointed out it is a temporary visa but we are hoping that we can convince an employer to sponsor for pr. Hubby is 45 so don't have enough points to go straight for pr on an independent visa. Well aware that we could have to return to the UK but we think it is worth it.

We are also hoping on a back up plan of me gaining the qualifications needed to back up my experience to apply for pr if all else fails.

What occupation are you applying under?

Hi again,

I'm applying under 'Film, Radio, TV, Stage Directors 'nec' or possibly 'Media Producer' both occupations are not on the SOL only the CSOL, so I need sponsorship like yourselves. I've been applying for TV jobs directly online at various major TV companies and media groups but not had much luck as yet. Its frustrating. If you don't mind me asking which agency are you in touch? with maybe they could assist me in my line of work?

I am 44 so don't gain much points for that. I also have been told the sponsored temporary visa is not a surefire way to PR, but even if you are sponsored for two years a lot can happen in that time to change the course of you gaining residency so like you I think its worth giving it a try. The fact that you will have worked and lived in Australia for a couple of years can only gain you points on a visa application.

I also thought while I'm working via a sponsorship I could take some further qualifications which would help towards PR.

Where in the UK are you presently based? are you emigrating with children?

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on

Louise.

Hi Louise,

We are in touch with TSS immigration and have been impressed with them so far. I don't know if they only recruit for certain industries but worth sending them an email to find out. They may be able to point you in the right direction if they don't deal with media jobs.

We are in Nottinghamshire. Hoping on some house viewings soon, no chance of selling if no one views it!! We have three girls who are 5, 3 and 16 weeks. Where are you based? Do you have children? Where in Australia are you hoping for? We would really like coastal victoria, but being realistic that we might have to be flexible in areas.

It is really frustrating applying for jobs and not getting any where but keep going a job in oz will be for you eventually. I am on a facebook site for poms wanting to move to oz and there are quite a number who have successfully secured sponsorship from the UK.

I will keep in touch and let you know how we get on, please do the same.

Take care

Laura

Hi Laura.

Thanks for that I will contact TSS Immigration and see if they can help me. What's the name of the Facebook page for the Poms moving to Oz?

I live in Corbridge, Northumberland and hoping to head to the GC area around Brisbane. I have one daughter, she is 11. It is just myself and my daughter coming out so I'm a little uneasy about doing it on my own, though I do have friends in Perth, Adelaide and a friend of a friend in Broadbeach GC to help.

I sold my house in September though I didn't make much out of it. I can't see me buying anywhere in Oz I'd be renting or even house sharing. I'm hoping I can share with another single mum or a girl/couple of girls around my age that don't mind me having a daughter. Again all that will fall into place hopefully when we arrive or if we arrive depending on sponsorship opportunities. I'm finding it really hard to to keep positive and it scares me as my planned date for coming out gets closer and I don't feel any further forward.

When are are you hoping to head over, do you have a planned timeline? Do you know anyone in the area you are wanting to head to?

I'd love to keep in contact, let me know how you guys get on too.

louise

Hi Laura.

Thanks for that I will contact TSS Immigration and see if they can help me. What's the name of the Facebook page for the Poms moving to Oz?

I live in Corbridge, Northumberland and hoping to head to the GC area around Brisbane. I have one daughter, she is 11. It is just myself and my daughter coming out so I'm a little uneasy about doing it on my own, though I do have friends in Perth, Adelaide and a friend of a friend in Broadbeach GC to help.

I sold my house in September though I didn't make much out of it. I can't see me buying anywhere in Oz I'd be renting or even house sharing. I'm hoping I can share with another single mum or a girl/couple of girls around my age that don't mind me having a daughter. Again all that will fall into place hopefully when we arrive or if we arrive depending on sponsorship opportunities. I'm finding it really hard to to keep positive and it scares me as my planned date for coming out gets closer and I don't feel any further forward.

When are are you hoping to head over, do you have a planned timeline? Do you know anyone in the area you are wanting to head to?

I'd love to keep in contact, let me know how you guys get on too.

louise

Hi Louise

I have sent you a private message.

Take care

Laura x

Archived