Husband going out on a WHV?

Bubbley

The 489 would be a far better idea than a whv.

He he will have to gain licensing from what ever state he goes to. This can take time and money. It will require an employer to hire him as a trade assistant. But, I see no reason why an employer would hire him when he would not end up qualified for them as he can only work for 6 months. Which is unlikely to be enough to gain a license.

Even if if by a miracle he managed to get sponsorship. It would likely be a 457 visa. This is a temporary visa tied to an employer. If he were to lose his job, he would only have 90 days to find another or leave the country. How would your situation be if you found yourselves landing back in the UK in a couple of years time?

Yeah, I don't think we will be going with that plan anymore, it was just a wee idea of ours as we feel like were running out of options here in the UK. He was unemployed for two years just before our son was born and it was horrible, I don't want to go back to that and our entire savings be lost just keeping us afloat. Most of our family have now left the UK or are leaving next year so we now want to get a move on, we definitely don't want to leave and end up back in the UK a few years down the line when there is no one here anymore. So it is looking like the 489 is the likely option, we will need to wait until after Christmas to apply for VETASSESS for him to have the 5 years experience though.

Yeah, I don't think we will be going with that plan anymore, it was just a wee idea of ours as we feel like were running out of options here in the UK. He was unemployed for two years just before our son was born and it was horrible, I don't want to go back to that and our entire savings be lost just keeping us afloat. Most of our family have now left the UK or are leaving next year so we now want to get a move on, we definitely don't want to leave and end up back in the UK a few years down the line when there is no one here anymore. So it is looking like the 489 is the likely option, we will need to wait until after Christmas to apply for VETASSESS for him to have the 5 years experience though.

Glad to hear it. But do some research though. Australia is no land of opportunity that it once was. Most states are starting to have economic issues. Jobs can be scarce for many.

The move is going to cost a significant amount of money - tens of thousands. So, you need to ensure the plan is viable. I can appreciate all the money worries - been there. But do not assume Australia takes them away. For example, you will not be entitled to a lot of benefits for two years. What will you do if you find jobs are as hard to find?

Research is key. Australia. Like the UK is a wonderful country. But it is no paradise. It is not crying out for people like it used to be.

I've been researching like crazy! And good thing I did.. Just seen the updated list for Queensland and they've removed my husbands occupation for 190 & 489. Guess that puts Queensland out of the question.. Is it likely an occupation that has came off the list may eventually come back? Or should we maybe have a look into where else we may want to live.. Oh it is frustrating. Just as you think your getting somewhere visa this visa business lol

I've been researching like crazy! And good thing I did.. Just seen the updated list for Queensland and they've removed my husbands occupation for 190 & 489. Guess that puts Queensland out of the question.. Is it likely an occupation that has came off the list may eventually come back? Or should we maybe have a look into where else we may want to live.. Oh it is frustrating. Just as you think your getting somewhere visa this visa business lol

It remains on virtually all the other lists, so yes I would take a look at them rather than wait for it to come back onto Queensland, which it might do or it might never do.

I think I would still be tempted to give English a go and see if you can get 20 points for that and then you don't need sponsorship at all. Some people are preferring the PTE test above IELTS these days.

Bear in mind, too, that the visa is only the start - getting a job will be crucial and if the market is saying there is plenty of local talent (as Qld has) it may be that you come town to where you can get a job rather than where you want to live - the two may bear little resemblance to each other. You might have to move fast if it has come off one state list, the others might well follow.

Well we have to wait until after Christmas before we can start applying for anything but maybe get my husband booked in for the PTE and see how he gets on, does it expire? I am a bit worried about my husbands occupation as Queensland seemed to be where most of the jobs for his occupation were.. So not only would we know people there but we thought he would have a better chance at getting a job there. I know realistically with the way things are going for Australia now may not be the ideal time to be moving, but I really don't want to see our savings disappear and us not have at least tried while we're still a young small family

Archived