Which Melbourne suburbs to check out before moving over ? (Young couple with 2yr old)

Dan Mika

Hi All,

i did a search but didn't find an answer for this. We are here now on holiday and have another week left. We'd like to see some suburbs where we might be able to live upon moving over. Basic requirements are 30 min or so train ride into CBD, possibility for 3/4 bed house hopefully with outside space (A$ 850k budget roughly), decent schooling (primary) for our growing tot, nice local atmosphere with shops and restaurants. I've been concentrating on the south as I like the idea of being close to the mornington and beaches, but generally we're open to anywhere. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

Daniel

Hi All,

i did a search but didn't find an answer for this. We are here now on holiday and have another week left. We'd like to see some suburbs where we might be able to live upon moving over. Basic requirements are 30 min or so train ride into CBD, possibility for 3/4 bed house hopefully with outside space (A$ 850k budget roughly), decent schooling (primary) for our growing tot, nice local atmosphere with shops and restaurants. I've been concentrating on the south as I like the idea of being close to the mornington and beaches, but generally we're open to anywhere. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

Daniel

Hi, take a look ar Brighton East or Hampton, very nice!

Hi, take a look ar Brighton East or Hampton, very nice!

The chances of getting a 3-4 bed house on that budget in either of those suburbs is slim. I would look at Parkdale, Mordialloc, Aspendale. Check out transit times on the trains at http://www.ptv.vic.gov.au. Bayside is lovely, but expensive, particularly close in. Parkdale has some good school, as does Mentone and Mordialloc. You could also look at the other side of the bay if you want to be close to the beach, as the suburbs on the western side tend to be cheaper than south-east. I'm not so sure about the schools on that side though, but hopefully some others on the board may know more.

One thing I will say though is that if you are looking at schools, go and check them out, don't just rely on the websites and NAPLAN ratings. I've done this excise very recently and completely changed my mind about two of the schools based on a tour, rather than rankings.

We've lived in Melbourne for about 15 years now, so feel free to answer any questions.

Good luck with the house hunting.

Sandringham as its the start of the train line. Mornington will not give you a 30 minute commute. My daughter has a forty minute commute and she lives in Brunswick which is very close to CBD. 30 minutes you are looking at Caulfield if you use the train, not the tram. South Melbourne, Elwood, East Melbourne.

Most commutes from suburbs with larger homes would be an hour door to door.

Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell, Box Hill. Williamstown

Most commutes from suburbs with larger homes would be an hour door to door

Agreed. As ridiculous as it sounds, $850k does not buy you a lot in Melbourne any more in any suburb close to the city. We we jcurrently living in Mount Waverley which is about 30 mins from the city by train, and a lovely suburb with great schools, but most houses now are over $1 million. We're moving to Frankston shortly for that reason. There are good schools down there, but definite not a short commute.

Hi All,

Daniel

Mordialloc or Parkdale would give you a great lifestyle on that budget - 850k will buy you a 3/4 bed house on a full block needing cosmetic work, or a brand new one on half a block. Great areas for kids with excellent kindys, primary and secondary schools.

Have a good look at the streets between Warren Road and Davey Street to see the types of housing available.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell, Box Hill.

Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell - median price for a 3 bed house is around $1.5M and a 4 bed, it is over $2 million :(

Box Hill has also moved in the well over 1 million bracket. Crazy.

Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell - median price for a 3 bed house is around $1.5M and a 4 bed, it is over $2 million :(

Box Hill has also moved in the well over 1 million bracket. Crazy.

You could get a nice property in Geelong for $850K.... one which might appreciably increase in value :smile:

Croydon is fine. It's a nice suburb, but the OP did say they wanted a 30 minute commute, which doesn't equate with their $850k budget.

Ringwood/Heatherdale/Mitcham are all with half an hour on the train from the CBD - you can get a decent enough houses there for $850k with good government schiools around. Great views of the hills, leafy suburbs and not flat as a pancake like some parts of Melbourne

Your train must go express from Ringwood to Flinders St. :laugh:

To be fair allow 45 minutes but it is the best train line.

Express all the way lfrom Box Hill actually but still only takes half an hour Ringwood to Parliament (45 minutes from Croydon) . Not so good for those living in Camberwell/Glenferrie as it doesnt stop there so much these days :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

We bought in Altona in June, 3 bed house, 5 mins walk to the beach, park and shops and 2 mins to train station. Whilst the train service is lame with services only every 20 mins, the journey is only 30 mins to the CBD (same by car - not in rush hour though!). $800k here would most likely get you 4 beds and a nice big garden to boot :-)

Archived