189 or 190

Jhouse101

Hi all,

Got offered a job and was invited to apply for a 190 visa this morning with NSW (yay) but I don't know if I should go for the 190 or wait until the next round of invites for the 189. Is there much difference?

During the interview yesterday, the employer mentioned that I'd potentially be working all over Australia. I'll be living in Sydney and my job will be based these but does anyone know if this could effect me if I go for the 190 as I believe you need to live in Sydney for the first two years?

Thanks

Hi all,

Got offered a job and was invited to apply for a 190 visa this morning with NSW (yay) but I don't know if I should go for the 190 or wait until the next round of invites for the 189. Is there much difference?

During the interview yesterday, the employer mentioned that I'd potentially be working all over Australia. I'll be living in Sydney and my job will be based these but does anyone know if this could effect me if I go for the 190 as I believe you need to live in Sydney for the first two years?

Thanks

There is only a moral obligation to reside in the sponsoring state, it is not a condition to live there and you won't get into any trouble if you choose to move out of state.

Personally I would go for the 189 independent visa, but the two are so similar that it doesn't really matter.

What's the occupation that you're applying under? Certain occupations can make a difference to the period of time you wait for an invite.

Applying under ANZCO code 233213 (Quantity Surveyor) with 70 points for 190 and 65 points for 189.

You should be eligible for an invite fairly quickly after you have completed all of the prerequisites such as the skills assessment and IELTS etc.

Like Verystormy mentions above this is not a speedy process, it is likely to take a number of months, depending on the length of time it will take for your mandatory skills assessment.

I've already got the Skills assessment and dome my IELTS thank goodness... initially going over on a WHV but will then transfer onto the 189/190. If I apply in the next week or so I'm hoping it will come through before the 6 month restriction kicks in!!

I've already got the Skills assessment and dome my IELTS thank goodness... initially going over on a WHV but will then transfer onto the 189/190. If I apply in the next week or so I'm hoping it will come through before the 6 month restriction kicks in!!

Was it definitely the invitation for the visa and not an invitation for the state sponsorship, which would be a separate step? If the latter, then leave the 189 there for now and see what happens. Otherwise, if it definitely the visa invite you might as well proceed I think.

Archived