Getting a UK Drivers Licence/Converting my Aus Drivers Licence

ScotSAfAus

Hi, I am a British Citizen heading back to the UK after nearly 19 years in Australia. I have never held a British drivers licence (born in UK moved to South Africa as 3yo, moved to Aus). I have found the gov.uk website that allows you to exchange your foreign driver's licence for a British one (https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence) but I'd actually like to keep my Aussie one too. Does anyone know if there's a different process to enable this? Is there any value in getting an International Driving Permit from NRMA before I leave? Thanks!

It may well have changed in the years since I exchanged my overseas licence for a U.K licence, but I asked the DVLA to return my overseas licence rather that returning it to the issuing authority as I wanted to move back at a later date, and they did, as I say it may have changed but can't hurt to ask.

Hubby had to send his in.

When he returned to Aus for holidays he drove on UK one without issue. When we moved back he just got a new Aus one. Because you can have them for varying periods of time an Aus one would lapse anyways. It's not bigge to get a new one if you return to Aus.

Hubby had to send his in.

When he returned to Aus for holidays he drove on UK one without issue. When we moved back he just got a new Aus one. Because you can have them for varying periods of time an Aus one would lapse anyways. It's not bigge to get a new one if you return to Aus.

Same for me, but when i got back to melbourne

i took the uk one into vicroads and they just gave me my original licence number with a new photo,

and took $167 for the privilege

But i got to keep the uk one too.......

Same for me, but when i got back to melbourne

i took the uk one into vicroads and they just gave me my original licence number with a new photo,

and took $167 for the privilege

But i got to keep the uk one too.......

I think hubby got his original licence number back too. Just he got a new licence for a couple of years. And now has a 10 year one. Plus UK one still intact and held.

I didn't even ask for my Australian one back and it was returned, that was two years ago.

In any case it barely matters as if you visit temporarily you can drive on your UK licence and if you were to move back permanently it is easy enough to swap it for an Australian one.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have been pondering why I wanted to keep my Aussie one and couldn't really think of a valid reason other than it cost me $85, it's still valid until 2019 and is a handy form of id, but I'll be getting an equally handy form of id so there's no issue! I don't expect I will be back in Aus before 2019 anyway so I reckon I will be ok with having to hand it over. It's all part of the letting go process.

• 1 month later...

When i went back i changed my Aussie licence for the British equivalent.I phoned them up,as i wanted a PSV Licence and a HGV Licence, As my British licence had expired.All i had to do was to get medical.They Sent Me the Full British Licence and my Aussie Licence back.No problem.

I received my uk license. They didn't send my Oz one back, but it was due for its 5 year renewal anyway so I wasn't fussed!

mine turned up months later from Australia - DVLA sent it back to WA and they returned it to the address on the licence which was then redirected by Australia Post!

• 1 month later...
I've now been here a month and today I sent off the form for my new GB driver's licence, along with a cheque for £43 and my old Aus licence. I'll let you know if I get my old Aus licence back!

Mine arrived very quickly, but I put a note in asking them to Waiver the 3 month waiting period. I was told to write something as normally you have to wait 3 months.

Archived