Renting in Sydney: something near green and water, something villagey, something near CBD

syd

What exactly is your definition of near?!

The city is not dog friendly really

Personally I would recommend Narrabeen, Warriewood or Mona Vale on the Northern Beaches for several reasons:

1) It is a dog lovers paradise - every other person seems to have one

2) It is near water: a massive lake at Narrabeen and the lovely Pittwater

3) It is near water: several beaches and some of them are dog friendly

4) It is green: the lake has a huge wood like walking track around it

5) It is green; near several national parks

6) It is village like: same sense of community and small suburbs

7) Great cafes, restaurants and general laid-back lifestyle for humans

8) Dogs are well catered for - grooming salons, loads of vets, pet shops, dog minders, canine kindergartens, dog training and even a dog cafe!

8) The $800.00 per week rent is within budget

7) It has designated dog exercise areas: http://www.pittwater.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/54260/Unleashed_Dog_Exercise_Areas_in_Pittwater_brochure_version2.pdf

It is not that close to the CBD. But it is close enough to commute either via bus via Neutral Bay, or driving a car via the Wakehurst Parkway.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your description of what you are looking for (wide streets, fewer houses, pond, river, big church) sounds like English countryside ... but I am struggling to think of Sydney in those terms.

Yes so am I.

Mount Wilson in the Blue Mountains comes closest

But so NOT within commuting distance to the CBD. Well two hours to Sydney, so you could, but would you want to?

http://www.mtwilson.com.au/

The nearest place to Sydney that comes close to a village pond is Narrabeen with its lakes I reckon.

Personally I would recommend Narrabeen, Warriewood or Mona Vale on the Northern Beaches ...

It is not that close to the CBD. But it is close enough to commute either via bus via Neutral Bay, or driving a car via the Wakehurst Parkway.

The only thing to be aware of is that the commute can be very slow - because there's no train line, there's nothing to take traffic away from the roads so it can be chocka block in rush hour.

I see that the trip from Narrabeen to Wynyard is about 50 minutes by bus in the rush hour, so allowing for walking time to the bus stop at either end, probably allow an hour each way, assuming there are no other journeys necessary.

I have always had a soft spot for Narrabeen, having lived there in the 1980's on two occasions. It's the sort of place that I would love to live if I had a job on the peninsula, say at Brookvale or Mona Vale. Plenty of people do commute to the city so I guess it depends on how much commuting time you are willing to 'endure?'

That's a mighty fine checklist of features there, Jilly! Thanks for the heads up on the area - I'm going to have a look through maps, rentals and areas and see what our money can get us out there.

And thanks Marisa/Mary. Trust me, I'm going into anything that's NOT in the city with my eyes wide open ... not a fan of commuting, but I have to keep an open mind, especially with dogs, and maybe just for the first year while we settle.

You're right - again! It looks awesome. Have a look at this little gem: http://www.domain.com.au/for-rent/10-carlotta-street-greenwich-nsw-2065-10038826?sp=5

Greenwich is gorgeous. But the biggest turn-off for me is the traffic. It is so busy. If you do choose to live there or any inner city suburb, try to rent a place with a garage or at least an off road driveway. Because sometimes (especially in summer) trying to get a park on the street outside your own home is near impossible.

Duh!

I have just remembered your other main problem. Dogs! Two of them! So you may have to go where the dogs are welcome; rather than where you want to.

Renting with pets in Sydney is very hard. Most units are strata managed and pets are a big no-no. A stand alone house is your best option.

From my recent experiences, renting with pets seems a lot easier on the Central Coast or somewhere like Galston and Dural.

Galston is village like and so is Dural because they are classed as rural areas. Neither on train line but the Central Coast is. None of them are anywhere near the CBD.

The only thing to be aware of is that the commute can be very slow - because there's no train line, there's nothing to take traffic away from the roads so it can be chocka block in rush hour.

Yes it can be chocka block on the main roads. But if you know the short-cuts (and there are many) you can cut your times down.

I always leave before rush hour starts. Which means I can leave work before it starts in the evenings too.

I am working in Chatswood. I live on the Northern Beaches. My entire trip to work from house front door to work desk, normally takes me 40 mins.

I drive to Gordon station which takes 30 mins (20 mins in school holidays), and then get the train to Chatswood which takes 10 mins. I have it timed perfectly; so I only have 2 mins wait at Gordon.

I also have a lot of short-cuts up my sleeves thanks to my NatSav!

So if you were working in the CBD: Gordon station to Wynard (CBD) station takes 25 mins on the slow train. Then you just add your driving time to station on top of that.

But if you could get a job outside the CBD in Belrose, Chatswood, North Sydney or St Leonards, that would be the bees knees.

I have noticed that most people assume they will be working in the actual CBD. When in reality lots of offices are in places like North Sydney and Chatswood or Lane Cove, as office space is cheaper to rent in those areas

Another nice place to live could be Terrey Hills. It has a village type feel and surrounded by lots of open space for two dogs.

And many rentals in the area say "pets considered upon application" or "pet friendly"

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-forestville-416707813

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-terrey+hills-416286893

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-terrey+hills-416612157

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+turramurra-416734913

Don't move to Sydney...

Move to;

- Wollongong

- Newcastle

- Geelong

- Ballarat

- Bendigo

- Torquay

Trust me, if you can - try very had to get set up in one of these places and I swear you will thank Poms in Oz one day :-)

Sydney is complete rubbish unless you are a multi-millionaire.

Don't move to Sydney...

Move to;

- Wollongong

- Newcastle

- Geelong

- Ballarat

- Bendigo

- Torquay

Trust me, if you can - try very had to get set up in one of these places and I swear you will thank Poms in Oz one day :-)

What is the basis of your opinion of Sydney? Let's have proper arguments. I'm not a millionaire but I love it and would not live anywhere else.1740b0883d280bcb32d1b6b3c4bb7dee.jpg

I have thought of some other "English Village" type places in Sydney:

Kurrajong Heights

Richmond

Wisemans Ferry

St Albans

Spencer

Great for dogs and village like ambiance but a fair commute from Sydney CBD.

On the other hand, if you got a job in Hornsby, Parramatta or Penrith............

Wollongong, Newcastle, Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Torquay

All shite places in my opinion.

Cheaper than Sydney yes.

Personally I would dislike living in any of them; but each to their own.

And actually pretty hard to get work unless you are a local or know someone

Or you are lucky enough to have a specialized field of work that is much needed there.

What a very odd statement!

I am not a millionaire (or even rich) but I love it. I have a very good life here. It is a gorgeous city.

I suppose it comes down to a positive attitude, and living somewhere is what you make it.

Again each to their own - I have no interest in debating the subject.

What is the basis of your opinion of Sydney? Let's have proper arguments. I'm not a millionaire but I love it and would not live anywhere else.

Yes, but you bought your flat when it was affordable. One of the reasons we left Sydney is that, much though I love the city, we simply can't afford a nice home there unless we work till we're 70.

I pity anyone arriving now - the rents are so high that saving up for one's own home must be well-nigh impossible.

Of course when you're young and not worried about saving for the future, then that's not uppermost in your mind, you just enjoy the place.

I have thought of some other "English Village" type places in Sydney:

Kurrajong Heights

Richmond

Wisemans Ferry

St Albans

Spencer

The OP gave some examples from the UK of the kind of place he was looking for: they were Canterbury, Kingston and Sevenoaks. And when I suggested Oatley (which is 40 minutes by train from the CBD) he rejected it as being too long a commute.

So if any of those places are of interest to the OP, he's changed his criteria a huge amount!

Yes, but you bought your flat when it was affordable. One of the reasons we left Sydney is that, much though I love the city, we simply can't afford a nice home there unless we work till we're 70.

I pity anyone arriving now - the rents are so high that saving up for one's own home must be well-nigh impossible.

Of course when you're young and not worried about saving for the future, then that's not uppermost in your mind, you just enjoy the place.

You may be right, though at the time I bought it, there weren't too many people gloating over the cheapness of property, not with interest rates as high as 18 per cent? Were they really that high?

People are always talking about "The Good Old Days" but in my experience they never were. Not the late 80s and early 90s for me at least, when living in a huge city really did take its toll.

I struggled to pay my mortgage, base grade clerk in public service, mum used to send me cash in letters. I couldn't cope with either my job or uni.

I guess I've come thru all that now.

You may be right, though at the time I bought it, there weren't too many people gloating over the cheapness of property, not with interest rates as high as 18 per cent? Were they really that high?

People are always talking about "The Good Old Days" but in my experience they never were. Not the late 80s and early 90s for me at least, when living in a huge city really did take its toll.

I struggled to pay my mortgage....

Yes, I was in Sydney during those days too and went through it too. But even with the difference in interest rates, homes are far less affordable now than they were then, compared to salaries, so it's much more difficult for the new arrivals than it was for us.

You may be wondering why I don't own a place in Sydney if we've both been through the same experience. The reason is that after my divorce, I was reluctant to buy a little place for myself - I was 40 and felt that if I bought a bachelor pad, it was like giving up hope of finding a life partner again. Silly I know, but that's how I felt. So I rented (in Paddington) and invested my money instead. By the time I met a new man and was ready to buy a place, the market had soared way out of my reach.

I don't think buying in Sydney is outrageously unaffordable compared to London or NY. There's no way we could have afforded to buy in a comparable suburb close to the CBD in London working in equivalent jobs for equivalent salaries. We don't earn much, our combined salary is low enough to qualify for child care benefit to help with day care fees. For couples and small families who've worked long enough to save a deposit and who don't expect more than a 2 bedroom unit, I think Sydney is affordable. The problem is when you need more bedrooms, a garden, 2 cars etc. (Do Londoners expect to run 2 cars per family? I dunno).

Yes, I was in Sydney during those days too and went through it too. But even with the difference in interest rates, homes are far less affordable now than they were then, compared to salaries, so it's much more difficult for the new arrivals than it was for us.

You may be wondering why I don't own a place in Sydney if we've both been through the same experience. The reason is that after my divorce, I was reluctant to buy a little place for myself - I was 40 and felt that if I bought a bachelor pad, it was like giving up hope of finding a life partner again. Silly I know, but that's how I felt. So I rented (in Paddington) and invested my money instead. By the time I met a new man and was ready to buy a place, the market had soared way out of my reach.

I didn't know whether you were owning or renting. I'm far more interested in which footie team you go for! (Don't say Chelsea, or Arsenal, please!)

We all make those kind of mistakes. I could have cashed in my super completely in 1996 when I was made redundant and bought another place. I opted for some cash and an immediate pension. I could have bought a 'but to let' house or flat when I arrived in England that same year. When I was made redundant in 1996 my financial advisor, taking a safety first view, put my money in a capital guaranteed fund. In 2000, thinking the returns were useless, and without consulting him, I moved the money into an international shares fund, and the fund promptly bombed. It's still in that fund, and has gradually come back up. I also should have stayed at Royal Mail until I was 60, instead of coming back to OZ at 54 because I would have had a regular job, instead of intermittent casual work in Sydney, and a larger pension.

There are four "could have, should have" possible wrong decisions on my part, and there are others potentially looming. Should I take out private medical insurance? I've not done that so far, opting to pay cash if it's not free on Medicare. I can't even offset the money I've spent on operations and the like against my tax because I've not earned enough money.

Lately, I've been cooking at home more and more, and trying to stay away from the pub, although it's hard when I've been on my own all day and evening and I'm thinking, "Why not pop down the road?" $2,500 per month is not a bad income with no rent to pay but it's not that high either?

I see you said you have invested your money? How is that doing? You have also 'invested' in another partner, although I did read somewhere that that is good for the bloke but not for the woman, long term health-wise!?

Lately, I've been cooking at home more and more, and trying to stay away from the pub, although it's hard when I've been on my own all day and evening and I'm thinking, "Why not pop down the road?" $2,500 per month is not a bad income with no rent to pay but it's not that high either?

I see you said you have invested your money? How is that doing? You have also 'invested' in another partner, although I did read somewhere that that is good for the bloke but not for the woman, long term health-wise!?

I did eventually buy an investment property but I sold it when we moved to the UK. I had to, because if we decided to stay in the UK permanently, I would have to pay a huge amount in capital gains tax when I eventually sold. My money is now in the bank earning a pitifully small amount, while we decide what to do.

I agree about the relationship being good for the man not the woman, he is sending me grey even though I love him dearly! If it wasn't for his sun allergy I'd be on the plane back to Australia already but I'm doing my best to make it work for his sake.

I did eventually buy an investment property but I sold it when we moved to the UK. I had to, because if we decided to stay in the UK permanently, I would have to pay a huge amount in capital gains tax when I eventually sold. My money is now in the bank earning a pitifully small amount, while we decide what to do.

I agree about the relationship being good for the man not the woman, he is sending me grey even though I love him dearly! If it wasn't for his sun allergy I'd be on the plane back to Australia already but I'm doing my best to make it work for his sake.

Have you decided where you will move to when the lease on your flat expires Marisa?

I've always hung on to my homes, renting my flat in Sydney out for 12years whilst I was in UK, and now my UK home, which I bought when my parents died, has been rented out for seven years.

I don't know what the tax implications are. I just do what my accountant tells me to do. So far, so good.

I fancy, no I know 110 per cent I would drive any woman worse than just grey, which is why I'm still on my own, with my beer and my phone.

I don't think buying in Sydney is outrageously unaffordable compared to London or NY. There's no way we could have afforded to buy in a comparable suburb close to the CBD in London working in equivalent jobs for equivalent salaries. We don't earn much, our combined salary is low enough to qualify for child care benefit to help with day care fees. For couples and small families who've worked long enough to save a deposit and who don't expect more than a 2 bedroom unit, I think Sydney is affordable. The problem is when you need more bedrooms, a garden, 2 cars etc. (Do Londoners expect to run 2 cars per family? I dunno).

To live within a kilometre or two of the CBD in London? SE1 perhaps? to compare with Surry Hills?

Have you decided where you will move to when the lease on your flat expires Marisa?

Coincidentally we've just been discussing that.

Shock horror, I think we've decided we won't move - there's no point. We don't feel at home here and we don't believe moving to another city will make much difference. The UK is an alien landscape and we just don't belong. So we'll stay in Southampton, agree a budget to spend on holidays around Europe for the next six months, then head back to Oz. It will mean the oh will have to go back to spending his days indoors, but that's life.

I can handle six months, having a date to leave makes it manageable.

Archived