7 weeks back....

thinker78

So long as you've never felt Australia was "home," you're definitely doing the right thing. Just the thought of being on the plane and seeing the beautiful greenery beneath just as the plane is hovering above the UK makes me long for that sight and moment all the more. ( as apposed to the dry arid land we see hovering above Australia :wink: ) I wish you all the best Rosie. Enjoy your cuppas when you get back. :smile:

Ah yes, looking forward to that first cuppa with my Mum!

Good luck also with your plans to return Brummy. People who have never done it can't appreciate the emotional upheaval involved in living so far away from 'home'. A doctor friend of mine likened it to grief in that we mourn all the friends, family and places we have left behind. It's not a reflection on Australia or Australians. I've had some wonderful times here.

I hope you get to see that gorgeous green countryside beneath you soon...or once we arrived to a blanket of thick white snow which was also magical to fly in over. Best wishes it all works out.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah yes, looking forward to that first cuppa with my Mum!

Good luck also with your plans to return Brummy. People who have never done it can't appreciate the emotional upheaval involved in living so far away from 'home'. A doctor friend of mine likened it to grief in that we mourn all the friends, family and places we have left behind. It's not a reflection on Australia or Australians. I've had some wonderful times here.

I hope you get to see that gorgeous green countryside beneath you soon...or once we arrived to a blanket of thick white snow which was also magical to fly in over. Best wishes it all works out.

There's no one better to have that first cuppa with than mum. <3

I agree with you, I think people can really underestimate how much is involved- it's such a huge emotional upheaval.

You can't help think and dwell on everything you're missing out on by being so far away from family, and friends.

Wow, that would be so lovely to see a thick blanket of snow beneath us! I miss the snow, and the cold too!

Thanks Rosie, I'll be thinking of you as your return time approaches. :smile:

Best wishes to you too. Let us know how it goes.

There's no one better to have that first cuppa with than mum. <3

I agree with you, I think people can really underestimate how much is involved- it's such a huge emotional upheaval.

You can't help think and dwell on everything you're missing out on by being so far away from family, and friends.

That's very true. I'm sure it does cross people's minds, but then they think, "lots of other people emigrate, it can't be too bad".What they don't realise is that not everyone feels the same way about family and friends.

If someone is used to living in a community where everyone lives in the same city they grew up in, surrounded by parents and friends from school, they may not stop to think that a lot of other people don't live that way. The most successful migrants are the ones who had already made the split from their family - whether they moved far away for work, or the family was dysfunctional so they couldn't wait to leave, or whatever. They're used to not seeing family for long periods and they're fine with it (if they weren't, they'd move back!!), so moving to Australia isn't such a big adjustment.

Hi All,

Not been on here for about 3-4 months as it doesnt do me any favours (makes me miss home even more)

I think about home (UK) everyday and wake up in the mornings and its the first thing i think of...that said IM ok about being here at the moment as i know its not forever. Citizenship in 2017 then home is the 'plan' We (myself, wife and 2 boys 6 and 3) are having a good time, but thats just it, a good time, not something that i can see going on forever, nor do I want to do this lifestyle forever and I think thats why I/we are making the most of things here as we know its not forever.

Reading these posts have been great and I can agree with most of them and its just assured me that moving home will be right for us and im not mad for wanting family and friends over weather, beaches and 'opportunites' like I hear people to refer to.

Anyway, great posts, will check in again in 3-4 months to catch up.

All the best to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Spent some time living in Cumbria,and loved it up there.So much gorgeous countryside!

Thats where i will be moving back to, i cant wait to take my dogs walking in the Lake District, and the Pennines, I used to take it for granted when i lived there.

Archived