General Manager assessment???

MelandJas

Guest DavidandNicky

When we visited one of the Expos last year we were advised by a couple of Agents that the AIM who undertake the skills assessment were pretty tough in their assessment - the key issue seems to be whether-or-not you can demonstrate that you hold a 'senior' position and have management responsibility for other managers. Operational Managers, i.e. those that have little or no input into company policy or strategy need not apply. Breadth of the role is also important.

Hi, we too have been looking into the criteria for assessment for GM. We submitted OH's CV to a couple of agencies and they don't think he'll pass the AIM assessment, which is really frustrating when we thought he'd got a good chance as he holds a very senior role although admittedly his management roles have changed 3 times since 2002, not sure if that has an effect on the outcome of the assessment. In his own words my OH said 'If I can't pass then who can?'. We're willing to try on our own so if you're thinking of doing the same, stay in touch and we'll help each other along!

Lou

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I've moved this thread into Migration Issues because it goes to the root of whether someone can qualify for migration as a General Manager. As the forum gets bigger and busier, we are trying to keep it tidy though I can understand why Mel&Jas started the thread in the General Dilemmas section. Hopefully, in here I can make it more visible to the Agents and one of them might be kind enough to offer some guidance on this question.

You've all seen the description, but I may as well bung it down here:

General Manager 1112-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

I reckon that the chances are that the business has to be pretty big, with several different departments etc. I think it is quite likely that the GM will have some specific business management qualifications in addition to his/her original skills-qualifications and experience.

Below is the link to the ASCO Code itself, from which the descriptions in the ASRI list on the DIAC website are taken:

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

It is a monstrous tome (703 pages.) However, please scroll to Page 69 in the thing to get the general flavour of this ASCO group, and then go to Page 72 where there is a detailed description of the job that a General Manager does.

Best wishes

Gill

• 5 months later...
Guest wossall

Hi we are sending of my OH documents for the general manager assessment this week and we hope he gets it. It has taken a couple of months to get all the information together, I think this must be the hardest skill assessment to get. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks

Lynne

Archived