Pension

steve 111

It will be 35 years of contributions from next April. Go to http://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension and get a personal state pension forecast. Write them a letter telling them the exact dates you spent time in Australia as some of it may count towards your 35 years. Any years prior to 5th April 2001 can be treated as a period for which UK NI contributions were paid. In your case it looks like you would only be 2 or 3 years short of the 35 needed but you can make voluntary contributions to make up the shortfall. It is important to get your own forecast as everyone is not the same.

Can anyone please tell me what State pension I get moving back to UK,I am a duel citizen and worked in Uk for 23 years and Australia 25 years

If you leave Australia before you reach pension age, you will get no Australian pension at all, ever. If you wait until you can walk into Centrelink and claim your pension, you will get the pension paid to you in the UK - but it will be paid at "outside Australia" rates (I have no idea how they compare to resident rates, sorry!), AND it will be paid pro rata based on your number of years of residence.

Annoyingly, Centrelink has rearranged its website again and I can't find the section on how many years' residence you need to get the full pension. It used to be 25 years (in which case you'd get the full whack), but it was supposed to go up to 35 years (in which case you'd only get 25/35ths of the pension).

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia-pension-rates-payable

You should be able to get the full UK pension, because you can apply to have your Australian work record before 2001 recognised, which will easily bring you up to the 35 years required.

The annoying thing is that if you stayed in Australia, you'd be able to claim the full Australian pension AND a part UK pension too. Plus your super would be tax free.

Edited by Marisawright

I recently spoke to pensions (in the UK)and they informed me,(had to give them my DOB and NI number)that if I stayed in the UK,my retirement age would be 67 (female),and that I would of needed to work for 35yrs in the UK to claim full british pension.I think if I stayed here,I would of been short of something like 5 yrs.I was told I could "buy back"missing years at current rate of £771 per year.I asked for a statement,which they promptly sent me.