Spiders

Guest Tim

Drop bears - They are a small black animal that resembles a koala and live in the trees - Usally in Suburbia. They like nothing better to do than drop on people when they walk under them - Hence the name.

The unfortunate thing is the size of their claws and teeth can do some damage to the unlucky. :shock:

Guest ohippychick
Drop bears - They are a small black animal that resembles a bear and live in the trees - Usally in Suburbia. They like nothing better to do than drop on people when they walk under them - Hence the name.

The unfortunate thing is the size of their claws can do some damage to the unlucky. :shock:

I've already been caught once this week - I'm now on my guard !

• 3 months later...
Guest CarolineandGrant

I know it can't be very funny for the poor unsuspecting person standing under a tree whilst the little git is lining himself up for a belter but I had to laugh.

Glad the wildlife seem to have a sense of humour. Bet they pick on poms!

Guest CarolineandGrant

Actually, just read that bit of info. Scary stuff. I thought you had to not stand under trees because of the spiders and snakes that might be dropping in, terrific!

So I'll be re-educating my 2 boys in the perils of getting caught short in the bush....!!!

Guest CarolineandGrant

Ok, are there any other urban myths that I need to know about? Please say there really is no need to look behind the sun visor in the car for huntsman spiders......been having nightmares ever since.

I've not seen any scary dangerous spiders since I've been here (5 months) I had a big spider in the arm of my dressing gown but a quick squirt with the raid got rid of it (sorry any spider lovers out there) cockroaches are always about but again get the raid spray and let them have it. Don't leave bags open in the garage and I've not seen a spider in my car but I don't leave any windows open at all.

Jackie

Hi, ive been reading a few times now along this website about the ants, has anybody come across them and if so are they really as bad as they r made out to be? r they a threat and do they invade ur home like they do here? r they poisonous?

lainey x

theres loads of ants ,everywere they are a pain in the bum and you just cant seem to get rid ,we were told pest sprays wont work and at this time of year its a case of grin and bear,they are looking for water.sprays you can buy at woolworths etc will kill them but within a few days youll probably have more. The ants that eat the houses are a type of white ant ,infact we have had a search done on our new house and they are in some trees front and back ,i have been informed that as long as the house is treated(it is ) and you dont disturb them much they will be ok ,and try and keep areas around the house soil and grass free,theres lots of barrier treatment avail now so we arent too worried although when in the uk we said we would never buy a wooden framed house !! i say bring on 2 acres of concrete ,,job done !!!!!!!

Cal x

Ants around the house are considered a good sign - they keep termites (white ants) away which you don't generally see as they don't like daylight. They build tunnels made of mud to bridge across to hidden areas.

Termites will destroy the house by stealth. They're the ones to worry about.

Most ants around the house are sugar ants - they don't bite. The bigger ones might which you'd normally find in the garden (if at all). They only give a bit of a nip usually.

You can get treatments to eradicate them but be careful you might get the white ants visiting.

thanks for the replies, i feel a bit a ease now, i can cope with them, from the sounds of it its nothing worse than wot i have to put up with here, i get the usual black house ants and they are ok, i can live with them, i was only concerned because i have to young daughters 7 and 4 but i think will b ok, we get red ants here that bite but luckily i dont have them, i just get the black ones, thanx again :)

lainey

Archived