Relationship Breakdown whilst waiting for 820 visa

Burnley Lad

I do hold a v senior role.... And I have many years of experience so an AIm assessment wouldn't be a problem. But yes, wouldn't plan to live in SA and it would actually be pretty hard to get an equal role there as well. Ok, so that's maybe why my agent hasn't suggested the skilled migration route. I'm running out of options so I'd better hope I get a job under 457 pronto.... Won't be delaying my permanent residency application next time I can tell you!

Well skilled migration is out because of the SA thing, they not going to sponsor someone already living in Brisbane.

But if you can pass the AIM skills assesment and have it up your sleeve, you could ask an employer to sponsor you for a permanent employer sponsored visa straight away or even after a short probationary period. Better than waiting two years.

Edited by Bungo

i'm actually already going through an agent for my application.

My initial title was misleading. It's the 801 - permanent visa that I am waiting on. I didn't need to apply for the 820 due to my length of time here. So going straight to 801 from 457 if that makes sense?

My agent knows about the situation as well. I was doing some research on the immigration site as I'm worried about what my ex might do. The immigration site says my application could actually be fast tracked as the relationship has broken down and I have a child but my agent has never even raised this as an option? I'm worried he may just want the application to just go through the system and not rock the boat. Or am I best speaking to visa department myself???

If your agent is worth his salt he should know that there are two main ways for you to get PR on a Spouse visa even after the relationship has broken down. One is if you were the victim of domestic violence, the other is if you are the parent of an Australian child, who is resident in Australia.

If the agent doesn't know that, sack him and get a new one.

If your agent is worth his salt he should know that there are two main ways for you to get PR on a Spouse visa even after the relationship has broken down. One is if you were the victim of domestic violence, the other is if you are the parent of an Australian child, who is resident in Australia.

Well I do hope that I have not led the OP on a merry dance, but it was always my understanding that it was the progression to a permanent visa from the temporary partner one that could go ahead if relationship broke down but there were a child.

To be fair to the agent, he does appear to be continuing with the partner application as the strategy so if that is ok, agent was right all along. Great news for OP.

i'm actually already going through an agent for my application.

Is your agent MARA registered? Are you sure he knows his job? Keeping quiet about the breakup is basically illegal - you may well get away with it, but I'd be a bit suprised if a genuine agent would be willing to risk his reputation by advising a client to head down that route, so I'm worried. I certainly wouldn't talk to the visa dept until you've got a second opinion from another agent.

im hoping he knows this. Yes! They're an established and creditable immigration agency. Just wondering if I should declare in order to speed it up in case my ex or one of her mates calls up the visa department before me....

Is your agent MARA registered? Are you sure he knows his job? Keeping quiet about the breakup is basically illegal - you may well get away with it, but I'd be a bit suprised if a genuine agent would be willing to risk his reputation by advising a client to head down that route, so I'm worried. I certainly wouldn't talk to the visa dept until you've got a second opinion from another agent.

I'm thinking I should get some advice from another agent. Definitely. Just hope mine is doing his job properly and isn't keepin anything for me... I've been waiting 8 mths now and still no news. Split happened a couple of months ago and there's no chance of a reconciliation under the circumstances....