UK Tax return

emdemp

I see, then your Uk return only needs to show UK Income. The ATO return should also show the UK income and any tax already paid in the UK.

Just to add though, this depends on what visa you are on. If you are on a visa where you are a permanent resident in Australia then you have to declare your UK income in Australia. If you are on a temporary visa, such as a 457, then you don't declare your UK income on your Australian tax return.

Having spent the last few hours trying to navigate through include the "guidance information" I would agree that getting an agent is money well spent, however I think I have cracked it and hopefully it'll be much quicker and easier next year. This is my first year of having to do it as a non-uk resident and I have found myself very confused with the various terms involved.

Thankfully I have an accountant here in Australia so can leave the whole declaring my UK income to him.

Looking for a bit of advice on this topic too, the overlapping tax years are confusing me a bit!

So UK tax year Apr 2014-Apr 2015 - have employment income Apr 14-Jan 15, bank interest received for the entirety

Aussie tax year Jul 2014-Jun 2015 - have employment/interest Jan 15-Jun 15

On a temp visa, but resident for tax purposes in Oz as working here

On the Aussie return it lets you state when you arrived/how many days you were in the country so it has appropriately pro-rated my allowance/Medicare levy. I've declared UK bank interest received since arriving in Oz (and the tax taken off by UK banks). Thanks to salary packaging I've ended up with zero tax paid and zero due for Aussie tax year 14/15. Having used the eTax software this time it seems fairly straightforward and I should be able to do the same again for my next partial tax year until end Jan 15 (then return to the UK).

However I'm a bit unclear as to what to put on the UK return. Obviously all my UK income up until leaving will go on (and for employment income has been covered by PAYE), but presumably I have to then declare the income received Jan-Apr 15 in Oz too? (I can go back to payslips to work it out, or just pro-rate it from my end of Oz tax year statement from my employer I guess?). Presumably HMRC will then want to tax me on it, despite it already having been assessed here in Oz and having fallen within the personal allowance? (my preceding income in the UK Apr 14-Jan 15 will mean any additional income in the tax year is due to be taxed).

Any advice appreciated - have got the name of an accountant in the UK but they're way more expensive than accountants here and I can't believe my situation is that complicated that it merits paying £500-700!

Archived