bringing wooden items through customs?

mungbean

Sorry for the very lazy post - I'm on a super-flakey wifi connect here in Bali (#firstworldproblems) and this is the second time I've tried to post this...

I've read the "bio-security" stuff about what you can't import, mainly for amusement (novelty pencil erasers, dolphins, etc...) and I seem to remember WOODEN items are on there, but...

I also have heard that you can just get stuff fumigated as you come in?

So: is this prohibitively expensive/too much hassle? Can I bring stuff in like this, or is it better to give up and try and buy the stuff from importers when I get back to Sydney?

Thanks!

Just go into the something to declare line on returning at the airport. I have brought wood back on numerous occasions and always declare. I have never once had a problem. They look for signs of wood worm. Never had to have anything fumigated. Wood came from Bali, Cambodia and Africa as well as Europe.

I wouldn't be too concerned.

Its only untreated wood and things like cane, reed and bamboo which are a problem. It is expensive to have them fumigated - it cost us $800 for six chairs (reed seats which had originated in Australia and we didn't think about) and a stuffed teddy bear (who had been imported before with no issue).

It seems a bit hit and miss though as a cane log basket we hadn't intended to take and several other bits got through with no problem.

That's how we read it. All our varnished, waxed etc and antique furniture was fine. We have quite a lot of aboriginal arty bits too (boab nuts, shields, boomerangs, spears) and they were all ok.

If there's an issue with anything, they'll get in touch with you and give you a choice about what course of action to take. Be aware though, even disposing of it can cost a fair bit.

It does seem fairly arbitrary - things that weren't a problem first time, were second time around and vice versa.

I know people who brought wooden items (not varnished) and at customs they gave it a good tap and loads of bugs and critters dropped out. It costs money (far more than the cheap wooden articles they bought were worth) to get them sprayed and hence they just binned them. To be honest, you would't want them if it was full of bugs....